Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Haiku RC 3  (Read 4951 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Haiku RC 3
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
I have tried the nightly builds, but can't get any of the ones I downloaded to work. No biggy...

What impresses me is the fact that the last Release Candidate is as good if not a bit better than where BeOS left off! I understand there are a few more features that have been added since RC3, but what is in RC3 blew me away!

I'm able to browse most of my most used pages, download Youtube videos, use Facebook, etc.!

ScummVM and DOSbox have been reported which is very important to me. The GUI is fully loaded and never leaves me wanting for more. It's fast, responsive, everything I could as for from a next gen Amiga OS!!!

But wait, it's not an Amiga OS, but I could swear it was! I mean this thing runs better on my Eee PC 900 than Win 7 runs on my ultra pimped out Windows gaming machine. NEVER once does it tell me a file is in use, or that a program is not responding.
As for running it on a high end super fast multi-core machine, well the experience is only better.

I can't say enough about this little OS except to check it out (assuming you have the right hardware) and make donations towards the cause. Never before have a seen a free OS develop as well and as fast as this one has!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Haiku RC 3
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
I keep intending to give it a try but never get around to it. I'm leery of installing anything on my current system, but I'm hoping to have enough for a new laptop with my tax return; I'll make room for it there.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »
wonder if this would run on a raspberry pi...

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
Where can it be downloaded?
I'm an alternate OS junkie.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;684977
Where can it be downloaded?
I'm an alternate OS junkie.
haiku-os.org
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
And tons of software here:

http://haikuware.com/

Though keep in mind that not all classic BeOS software still works, but a lot of it does. Also there is new software being developed all the time.

An AMAZING effort for something that has not yet had a 1.0 release!

Download and install your missing libs for QT, GCC 4 and all that Jazz and you are set!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »
My wish is they would try to lock down a platform hardware wise to install Haiku on.  I hate the hit and miss of this system works, this does not, this works kind of, that one may or may not.

That gets old.

I own a BeBox and if they sold a HaikuBox that Haiku was built around would for sure run on, I would buy it.  Even if they just had a sponsored system once per year that they test the system on and that will let us know we are good to go.

I own a Mac Mini 2010 model that boots Haiku fine and I could explore the net using a ethernet dongle but not in the stock ethernet jack, but no sound.  Pretty useless as I want sound.

Anyway, the whole hit and miss nature of it drove me away for now and on Amiga as my alt OS fix.

Maybe one day they will lock onto a set platform that they at least work on making sure it works on and then if someone wants to tinker outside of that, cool, but I much prefer the route Amigadom has taken and has a aCube and Aeon for the OS to run on for sure.

But, give me a HaikuBox and I would be all over it like a bear on honey.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;684984
My wish is they would try to lock down a platform hardware wise to install Haiku on.  I hate the hit and miss of this system works, this does not, this works kind of, that one may or may not.

That gets old.

My same complaints about AROS, though I must admit that the same two machines that I'm able to successfully run AROS with, I can also run Haiku with. And actually from the hardware support list I saw, it appears that you are more likely to find hardware that Haiku will support than AROS, especially in the Wireless department.

Your best bet is to join the forums and report your issues with the Haiku team, they seem to be on top of things.

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 01:30:54 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;684987
My same complaints about AROS, though I must admit that the same two machines that I'm able to successfully run AROS with, I can also run Haiku with. And actually from the hardware support list I saw, it appears that you are more likely to find hardware that Haiku will support than AROS, especially in the Wireless department.

Your best bet is to join the forums and report your issues with the Haiku team, they seem to be on top of things.

Yup, I did those things.  Just was getting tired of not being able to just get a system to work.

Tell me, is your system that runs Haiku and Aros a canned system or one you built?

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:51 AM »
Just run them in a virtual machine.  It's silly to waste a machine booting just one OS at a time....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
Quote from: amigasociety;685014
Yup, I did those things.  Just was getting tired of not being able to just get a system to work.

Tell me, is your system that runs Haiku and Aros a canned system or one you built?

tj

One I built, one is an Eee PC 900

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
This thread is very interesting: I've been following Haiku since it's initial alphas and it looks awesome by now.
I have a Mac Mini also (2009 model) and it has Nvidia graphics & sound. I can't see anything nvidia related in the hardware database, so I suppose it's unsuported?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
I'm using NVIDIA...

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
Quote from: persia;685028
Just run them in a virtual machine.  It's silly to waste a machine booting just one OS at a time....

Good idea for anyone with a casual interest that's for sure. I've been keeping an eye on the Haiku development myself and I think it's about time I tried it out.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
I now use it as my media center in my bedroom. I would think that running such a gem on virtual hardware would count as blasphemy! ;)