Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The ultimate Windows fanboy...  (Read 4014 times)

Description:

Offline jiminy

• Show only replies by jiminy
Re: The ultimate Windows fanboy...
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 05, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »

Ohforf wrote:
World Wide Telescope made him cry.  :lol:
{bleep}. Do not want.

Vista makes me cry, but not Tears of Joy.

Hmm... I've heard it said that users won't wait more than 4 seconds for your website to show them content.  If so, that thing is doomed.

Really, it might be a cool thing, but oh, the hype!  How exactly does it "enhance our dialogue with the universe"!  LOL...

Offline huronking

• Show only replies by huronking
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 02:40:50 AM »
Whatever M$ does it will further advance the capability to find a reason to fail to function when needed with an ever more transparently frivolous explaination.

That is Microsoft. Even the latest Windows Mobile 6 is no less counterintuitive than what, 3.0? NT3? WFW? ME? Edlin?

Ye will find an excuse to fail.

Personally sick of it. Just venting that my XP box spends
more time asking if it can email microsoft the reason it
has crashed than doing anything useful- God forbid it TELLS ME what the problem is. Or my $300 phone that decides at the least opportune moment that it will tell me that my password has changed when it hasnt, then grey out the menu to fix it and lock me out of my email.

Garbage. From day one. Maybe I can install Bob or Drivespace/Dos6.0 on it just for the rest of my nerves.

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 03:35:21 AM »

adolescent wrote:
@terminator4

So, what is it?  

OS5 silly

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »
@huronking

That's a little harsh, really. The folks at Microsoft Research do pretty much the same thing as the folks at Google or IBM or MIT. The play, create, teach, and explore. I gather that most of what they do never hits a retail shelf or a consumer PC.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 08:56:56 AM »

Trev wrote:
@huronking

That's a little harsh, really. The folks at Microsoft Research do pretty much the same thing as the folks at Google or IBM or MIT. The play, create, teach, and explore. I gather that most of what they do never hits a retail shelf or a consumer PC.

You mean they actually create some things which they say "this isn't good enough to release?"  :-o  :-o  :-o
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »
Windows is great more or less like os 4. You have to afford powerful hardware :-P not the cheapest in the line  . My vista box is by no means slow or unstable...  
if you dont like that stick to xp or a Linux distro .

Although that guy is sick ...
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »
@HopperJF

No, I mean that Microsoft Research conducts and funds research in just about every field you can imagine. They're not limited to operating systems, obviously. When an aspiring computer scientist needs grant money for research, Microsoft is certainly one of the sources they'll hit.

On the other hand, it's been argued that we could eradicate tuberculosus with a mere $150M, so one wonders why the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation hasn't ponied up the money, especially considering that tuberculosus is one of their pet projects. (There's a strong lobby against eradicating tuberculosus, of course. The manufacturing and sale of antibiotics is big bussiness.) Microsoft donates more than that each year just to find out which button a five year old is more likely to press: a green one or a red one.

Offline Ohforf

• Show only replies by Ohforf
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:08 PM »

adonay wrote:
Windows is great more or less like os 4. You have to afford powerful hardware :-P not the cheapest in the line  . My vista box is by no means slow or unstable...  
if you dont like that stick to xp or a Linux distro .

Although that guy is sick ...

Windows PCs are a dime a dozen - and the best choice if you
need a Machine for serious work.
OS4 Hardware is extreme rare and expensive, but OS4 will
never be as useful as windows.
These are Facts. Not being a Fanboy, but IT Profesionals
can not live without M$.
Anyway, vista is still garbage and bill gates can shove his telescope up his {bleep}.  :-P

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »
What makes you people belive vista is garbage ? I use the 64bit edition and it simply rocks.. I have never before had a better "more stable system" than now .

Most who talk down on it never even tried it on a real computer they expect their 4 year old hardware to still be state of de art -... :oops:  :madashell:  :madashell:  :lol: And find out that it doesent do it for them .. Well remember WinXP what you were saying when that was new ... The SP1 and 2 diddent do it . its all about better drivers ...
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
Is this it?

IE 8 will actually follow standards
Author: Gareth Halfacree
Published: 5th March 2008

It's taken them eight versions, but Microsoft has finally realised that standards exist for a reason.
In a bold move – and one that is as likely to earn it almost as many enemies as friends – Microsoft has announced that the next version of its flagship browser Internet Explorer, IE 8, will render pages in a way that actually follows the standards set out by the W3C.

Yes, I thought that might come as a shock. Go make yourself a cup of tea. I'll wait.

For years Microsoft has completely failed to follow industry standards that it didn't create, and nowhere has that been more obvious than in Internet Explorer. Thanks to IE shipping by default with every Microsoft OS under the sun, the pseudo-standards implemented in the browser have become a thorn in the sides of companies who produce browsers that do follow the standards properly. I'm sure that if you've ever tried to convince a family member to switch to Opera or Firefox you've heard the refrain “but only works in Internet Explorer.” That's usually a result of the web 'designer' using some Microsoft-kludge that isn't part of any of the HTML specs and, as a result, can't be found in standards-compliant browsers.

The software giant seems to have finally noticed the path of destruction this has left on the now fractured web, and is finally doing something to repair the damage: although it can't go back in time and un-invent the broken aspects of Internet Explorer, it can make them harder to use in the future. Accordingly, IE8 will default to rendering pages in a strict standards-compliant mode. In other words, in the same way as Opera – by far the best browser when it comes to sticking rigidly to the edicts of the W3C – has being doing since day one.

The up side is that this will hopefully stop any future web developers from creating pages that only work properly in Internet Explorer, which has to be good news for fans of alternative browsers. The down side is that pages that “only work in Internet Explorer” now won't even work in that.

To counter this roadblock to un-bollixing the web, Microsoft is going to implement a compatibility mode that renders pages in the same way as IE 7 would – complete with broken un-standards. The mode will be triggered either by the user demanding it, or more usually by the presence of a tag within pages that require it. This should hopefully act as a stop-gap measure while the world recovers from the shock of a Microsoft browser that actually does things right and give time for pages which relied on Microsoft's somewhat scatty HTML implementation to be tidied and made to work with any browser you care to name.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »
Well, I must admit, I thought the delay mentioned in the original blog, was everybody having to wait for the new version of Windoze to start up  :lol:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline Ohforf

• Show only replies by Ohforf
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »

adonay wrote:
What makes you people belive vista is garbage ? I use the 64bit edition and it simply rocks.. I have never before had a better "more stable system" than now .

Most who talk down on it never even tried it on a real computer they expect their 4 year old hardware to still be state of de art -... :oops:  :madashell:  :madashell:  :lol: And find out that it doesent do it for them .. Well remember WinXP what you were saying when that was new ... The SP1 and 2 diddent do it . its all about better drivers ...

I had to support a few vista users, all of them run brand new and powerful machines.
Most of them went back to XP. Only one person, a lawyer, can use vista without big problems.
The biggest pain was a Company doing video production, 3D Animation and Stuff.
Using vista in that environment is like Sabotage.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 08:28:55 PM »
Legal applications aren't exacty designed for robustness or forwards compatibility. Odd given their market. I haven't been impressed with most of the products my mother uses in her law firm. They do the job they're supposed to do, of course, but they're a {bleep} to support.

Anyone doing serious design work in video, graphics, etc., should probably be using a turnkey solution from a respected ISV.

Offline jiminy

• Show only replies by jiminy
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »

Trev wrote:
@HopperJF

No, I mean that Microsoft Research conducts and funds research in just about every field you can imagine. They're not limited to operating systems, obviously. When an aspiring computer scientist needs grant money for research, Microsoft is certainly one of the sources they'll hit.

Maybe we should ask Microsoft Research to fund us some new Amiga motherboards.