Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

My first MultiUser Amiga!
My first MultiUser Amiga!
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: This is my first attempt at building a MultiUser Amiga system.

Here's a first screenshot.

Picture Stats:
Views: 2828
Filesize: 277.14kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: AMIGA-FAN at January 12, 2007, 03:32:51 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (5)

cv643d
May 25, 2007, 04:49:10 PM
So why did you do it? Seems like a lot of work. Do you use Amigas in your workplace or does your family share Amiga?
AMIGA-FAN
January 14, 2007, 06:30:31 PM
Precisely that. Not only each user has its own ENVARC: directory but, as a matter of facts, each user has the entire PREFS drawer customized (i.e. its own PREFS drawer). At boot, via a custom startup, this drawer is re-directed (via assigns) to the proper USERS's PREFS drawer.

As for your second question: obviously ALL programs that have preferences/settings files (in their PROGDIR directory) need to be launched with each user's settings/preferences files. My environment is customized and pre-configured. Each program is started NOT via its program icon as you normally do in a single-user system but via a script (in the user's applications folder)  that takes care of setting up the required settings/preferences which are taken from the user's custom settings folder.

To implement a multiuser system I have used mufs (available on Aminet). Also PFS3 provides a multiuserFS but have not yet tried this one.
A multiuser filesystem prevents each users to delete/edit or even read other user's files/data.
For instance, in my system, the incoming folder of Simplemail contains the users' Emails and those can be read only by the owner of those Emails.

My system is still at a very early stage of implementation and there's still quite a lot of work to do and some things need be fixed. A multriuser system really IS quite complicated to set up.

Regards.
Karlos
January 14, 2007, 12:42:49 PM
So, what you are saying is you basically have an ENVARC: for each user. I used to do that to have different themes :-)

The real test of MU is security. What stops a user from doing a "save as" in his preferences and dropping the file into someone elses settings folder ?

I notice "root" in the directory list in the shell. Are you using a filesystem that supports multiple users as well?
AMIGA-FAN
January 14, 2007, 10:07:29 AM
Well... purpose of a multiuser system is that it allows several (different) users to work on a single machine without the risk of one user compromising the internal workings of that machine. On top of that, every user can have its own presets and settings  (as for Workbench backgrounds, MUI settings, GUI-look etc.). Also other programs (such as MiamiDX and SimpleMail) will have settings specific for each user. Obviously you can't spot all this from a snapshot of the Workbench but that's what my system actually does allow. The snapshot gives you what the initial Workbench will be for EVERY (new) user created on the system. Each user can then modify at his heart's content the settings it would want to have in his environment (backgrounds, GUI-look, MUI settings, and virtually any other settings for most of the installed programs.

Regards.
amigean
January 13, 2007, 07:30:35 PM
pretty shot, but I fail to notice what is different in this grab to, say, a single-user workbench?!  :-?