Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?  (Read 74956 times)

Description:

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
You gotta hand it to them. They really have thought about it and it looks like they're implementing the cool things that never made it into Amigas...

such as: modern Faster CPU
DSP style functions:
Industry standard parts and custom chip capability that can kind of behave like Dave Hanies Transuputer (I think that was it) and overall cool things that never saw the light of day.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
Re: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:25 AM »
Quote from: Pete_Noir;536623
Hmm.. I wonder if this could actually end up cheaper or at least about the same price as the Sam, that is if the CPU they have chosen is more readily available & cheaper. /

If the fully configured system matches the price of a SAM I'll be in there like swimwear!

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:48:52 AM »
Quote from: Delta;536695
With today's tools I can easily see big titles converted for this architecture if the market is interesting for some game makers.   It would be a good move from them to sell the X1000 with some software, not just an OS.   Like the A1200 bundle was.    Some office apps, a few games and there you have a lot of happy geeks :)

It's cool to see an AMIGA system that can support NextGen games... AND support retro like no other..!

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
Wish Hyperion all the best and hope to have one of these babies soon.
See yall when product ships.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »
It's clear that Hyperion are in the hardware business now. I wish them well. It will be interesting to see if they allow manufacturers to make Amiga OS4 lones.

I salivate at the prospect of a Chinese Amiga. We all know that the Chinese manufacturers value the lowest cost and despite some high profile bludners... they do value quality.

In the 90's there were attempts at Amiga clones, hope this comes to pass after Hyperion have made a return on their investment.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »
That website sure doen't help the cause... that desgin repels customers. Again this is a niche market at best. At least someone is finally doing SOMETHING...

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Allow me to speculate.

Like, why can't we get a clear picture of the case?
A: It doesn't exist (yet), or the haven't recieved a tooling sample, or they're just too busy.

Why can't we get a high resolution of the motherboard?
A: They obvisously don't have their own board in hand or time to shoot pictures.

Why does the wesite look like its designed by amateurs from 1994?
A: Becuase it's a grage shop or small business and when it comes to web design you get what you pay for.

Why would the "higher upper ups" keep the CPU secret?
A: Becuase they don't have an offical supplier yet, or the deal sin't official yet.

What OS updates follows the new motherboard?
A: Slow updates as witnessed by the previous pace of updates.

Will there be a Radeon driver?
A: Eventually I suppose...

What other drivers will come with the OS?
A: Ideally all of them but with previous experience as a reference it may fall on the shoulders of the hobbyist to fill in the gaps for some drivers.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
Regarding UPDATES...Also the time to strike is now while the iron is hot. If you launch a webiste for a product then don't follow up with timely uodates you lose the interest of customers.

Holy Deja VU!!!...LOL...to quote from the new Battlestar Galactica...

"All of this has happened before...and it will happen again>"

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
Despite all the hooting and hollaring, hemming and hawing... I applaud the efforts of Acube and Hyperion. Market conditions are what they are...

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:58:43 AM »
I can assure you guys that this isn't going to ship in at least 90 days or more. The reason well, if this is shipping as a COMPLETE system with a custom case... it takes about 90 days to tool ABS plastic start to finish. At least in my experience in China, and by the time you go to tooling the case design has been engineered, debugged, photographed and apporved by all invovled from marketing to retail customers. (in this case probably like 10 guys lol)

So if a case design exists it's gotta be well underway or in the final prototyping stages to see a mid-year ship date.

So my theory here is that this has been posted to generate interest and garner support from potential developers and us fanboys :)

If they're using an existing sheet metal frame and redressing the front ABS plastic front shave some time off that. If the case is totally custom start to finish it takes longer of course.

Either way, good luck guys... I do not mock you... I salute you!!!!

In my expierence we'd release press photos once we commited to tooling and signed off on that bill. Becuase there's really no return once chips are being fabbed abd steel molds made... not unless you want to take a bath of bibilical proprtions...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:05:53 AM by Crom00 »