Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has no software ???  (Read 6645 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Aros has no software ???
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
@Iggy
I'm not familar with Octamed, but I have seen Audio Evolution (another Amiga music program). Currently, AE is available on AOS, MOS, AROS, Windows and OSX and the non-Amiga versions are more advanced and continue to be developed.

You're talking chalk and cheese I'm afraid. AE is very good, but it's a multitrack recording system with MIDI support. OMSS, on the other hand, is a multichannel tracker with MIDI support. The former is primarily for production, the latter is primarily for composition. OMSS may be years old and look "primitive" to people that have never used it, but trust me, a person couldn't be more wrong for thinking it. It's one of the finest pieces of software ever written for quickly getting your ideas down.

You can't just magically go from OMSS to AE, they work in completely different ways and are built for totally different purposes. If you use OMSS to compose, the chances are you would also use AE for post-production work / live instrument / vocal mixdown.

Like Tension, I also use OMSS and don't have any serious time for an Amiga compatible OS that doesn't run it. An OS is there to support your applications as much as it is to support your hardware.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:59:57 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592186
Well if it's OctaMED you want, just use the PC version. I have it here (though not used it for years :( there are simply better trackers out there now, not that I use trackers anymore)... But it does work in Wine so it will run on your OSX/*nix boxes too.

Better is a subjective term. OctaMED SS is more than capable of controlling my kit and after so many years of using it, I just know where everything is.

I tried the PC version and frankly was not very impressed. There seemed to be an awful lot of lag from keypress to note playback when editing with it. Unfortunately, I tend to notice the same issue when running it in both WinUAE and E-UAE and adjusting the sound buffers for lower latency tends to produce some stuttering effects.

Conversely, OS3.x/4.x run it just fine on both my A1200 and A1 without these issues.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592191
I have so little outbord hardware now (mostly just midi/USB controllers) I don't need controllers... You have to love Arturia's softsynths :)

I don't mind using them, but composition still happens in OMSS :)

ok, I can see your problem. I don't have any latency issues with UAE (what there is isn't noticeable and if I want any output I'll mix down to disk anyway).

It only affects editing, which is the strange thing. Normal playback is fine. You could put it down to a "slow" PC, but I suspect it's not that (see signature).

Fair enough, but Tension might want to invest a little time learning a few more modern Trackers... It's both fun, and rewarding :)

Sure, I was talking from my own perspective.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:12:21 AM »
Before we assume the sky has fallen on it, has anybody actually tested OctaMED SS on MorphOS with "The Maestrix" utility installed?
int p; // A