Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: REBOL 3 Released for AmigaOS  (Read 14404 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show all replies
Re: REBOL 3 Released for AmigaOS
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:37:04 AM »
I gather that a few of the A.org members have been tinkering with Rebol, so I figure posting this here is valid.

I've been spending quite a bit of time reading over the material available over on rebol.com and I've got to say some of it makes sense to me and I can certainly see potential. I feel that Carl makes good points about just how complicated and overblown it has become to do what should be relatively simple things in the development world.

However, some of it is not clear to me. For example...

1. What does Rebol 3 bring to the table in terms of aiding the user (as opposed to the developer) that Rebol 2 did not?

2. Can Rebol be used in implementing a Website? i.e. in other words can it be used as an analog of jsp pages or perhaps similar to Javascript?

3. Let's say you have Rebol core running on a server, can it actually serve up dynamic content?

4. If it is possible to use Rebol in developing dynamic content, such as an interactive form tied to a database, does there have to be an instance of Rebol View on the client or is a browser plug in required or is the dynamic content presented to the client browser in such a way that nothing else is needed beyond Rebol core residing on the server?

Thanks in Advance,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline AmigaEd

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »
Quote from: MarkTime;587606
There really isn't much point to rebol for generic application development.

Why is that? Is it simply from the standpoint that there are other tools available which support more platforms? I might agree with that in principle, but I also do like what it seems you can do with Rebol with very little code. I can see uses for this within my industry.

Now, we have this real split in the marketplace, where some are using Android, some using iOS, some using Blackberry, some using WinMo - on their Smartphones, and soon, on their tablets....

and yet now Rebol punks out and doesn't support any of those devices.

When I first started looking at Rebol, I was thinking that I might have an immediate business application for Rebol, but now after learning that it doesn't support the various mobile platforms, I'm probably going to have use something else. Most likely something much more costly and bloated.

..unfortunately Rebol doesn't solve too many problems, and I love scripting languages, and I agree with a lot of Carl's rhetoric, I just don't believe he's found any great answers.

I too gravitate towards the scripting languages. While I haven't looked at Rebol deeply enough, I do like what Rebol seems to present in terms of the amount of data that needs to be exchanged and the generally small amount of code required. I think Carl does deserve some credit for that.

I might try an experiment to reproduce some fairly complicated scripts I've written in other languages by using Rebol. I think this would give me a pretty good idea of Rebol's capabilities.

To be fair to Rebol, I should also note that my most used scripting language doesn't support anything other than Windows.

but without support for the hot platforms, I'll have to pass.

It's been difficult over the years, but honestly, I'm glad that I didn't take this approach with the Amiga. If I had, I would have missed out on a lot of fun and learning.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline AmigaEd

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »
Quote from: eb15;587984
>Rebol3 was still under much development last time I looked into it.

I've been playing with it a bit, it looks like the Win version on Rebol 3 is still an Alpha release and I think it only operates at the console level. No Gui yet. (If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.)

Rebol 2.7 View (the graphical version) seems to work nicely. I've been messing a bit with it, but haven't had a chance to dig too deep as I'm swamped with other projects.

Regards,
AmigaEd

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline AmigaEd

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »
@Henrik,

Hello and thank you for all of the very detailed responses you have provided to my earlier questions. I must say I'm really still trying to wrap my brain around the whole concept of Rebol and it's going to take me a bit to digest everything you have written.

I have been working a little bit with Rebol and I'm slowly learning. I think I just need to get more "hands-on" time with it.

Regards,
AmigaEd

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows