Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga1: Altivec, SMP, Capture  (Read 5227 times)

Description:

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga1: Altivec, SMP, Capture
« on: November 03, 2002, 11:17:30 PM »
@Herewegoagain:

That case look AWESOME, but it doesn't seem to be for sale yet...

If you have money to burn, THIS is a cool case ($380 though!)

Unless I see something better, I'm getting either one of these or maybe one of these.  The second in particular is supposed to be pretty quiet, cos it's only got 2 case fans.  It's also a bit smaller than a standard minitower (but deeper).

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 01:30:45 AM »
@Herewegoagain:

Thanks for the info, there's a shop near where I live that stocks it as well - every now and then I go pretending to look at motherboards etc, but primarily to drool at that case  :-D

I guess if I really wanted to I could save a bit and buy it (I'm going to have to save up for the price difference between the G3 and G4 anyway - that was a surprise announcement!), but I just can't justify to myself the ~$400 pricetag for a glorified shoebox  :-P

In case anyone's wondering what all the fuss is about, here's a picture of that case (yes, the front *is* slanted):

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 01:40:18 AM »

Blomberg wrote:

The_Editor wrote:
This case
( as mentioned previously by VortexAU)

That'll do to be starting with !!

Well, according to most net reviews (like
Isn't that just a modded Chieftec/Antec case?
In that case (har har) I prefer the original.

Well, according to most net reviews (like this one), it's a pretty cool case mod.  I've been considering it, but it's kinda big - I already have a PC under my table, so my new Amiga would sit on top (since it will be more silent and run cooler), and a full-size tower like that is a bit much to sit on my desk...

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 06:39:21 AM »
It's not you that needs protecting from "death rays" coming from your PC - it's the quality of reception of any radio/TV equipment you (or your neighbours) may have.  An AmigaOne with an 800MHz G4 CPU will radiate EM waves at the 800MHz spectrum from the CPU itself and 133MHz from all the traces in the motherboard.  There are some components on the mobo itself to stop this (it weakens the signals going from chip to chip if it's all radiated away), but you need some form of shielding to block the rest.  On a radio tuned to that frequency you will hear all sorts of interesting white noise, and on a TV you will get 'snow'.

Cool avatar, BTW  :-D