Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yup, I just banned him...  (Read 18283 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: Yup, I just banned him...
« Reply #134 from previous page: October 18, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »
Quote from: save2600;750373
Wrong.

...LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!!   !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !!  !

Not per se, but law abiding citizens who also happen to be nutjobs just waiting to explode with easy access to guns and ammo are a big, big problem..

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;750390
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Yeah try and kill said two dozen kids with a knife in about 15 minutes...

It's still true. Guns don't fire themselves :p That said, I don't think allowing every whack job to own a gun is a very good idea.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:57 AM »
Therein lies the problem. Every human is a potential Whack Job. I'd prefer Whack Jobs to have a stick or a knife rather then a sub-machine gun.
Can we close this thread already.....?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:46:22 AM by gertsy »

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;750300
Honestly, I don't think I included enough information.  I tried to pare it down some to give simple comparison and illustrations.

I know I'm not going to change your mind because its obvious to me that your argument is simply about justifying why you want guns, but..

Where does this term "gun culture" come from?  The question isn't so much about "need."  We all have our basic "needs" which provide our survival.  We also have our individual "wants" or "likes," and one of those happens to be guns.  It could be anything, really.  Guns are hobbies and for most people a responsible way of life.  The fact that so many in our society abuse guns does not in any way give power to have them taken away from those who use them responsibly and for the right reasons.  In the hands of the right people a gun is effective for self-defense.  The "anti-gun culture" plasters the rest of the 10% all over the place for its own purposes, completely ignoring the reality and statistics.

You can't be serious: using statistics to defend a pro-gun view?  C'mon, how many school kids do you guys need to be slaughtered by some nut job with access to high powered and semi-auto guns and masses of ammo? Compare the stats on such crimes where gun laws are much tougher..

Again, though, the gun debate completely detracts from the fundamentals.  If one answers the question of, "Why should people not own guns" with, "Because they are dangerous and can kill people," then the same question can easily be applied to anything on the slippery-slope leading to the point of many things suddenly being defined as dangerous and therefore needing prohibition or severe regulation.

No. No it can't.  The big, big difference is the scale, and the speed with which carnage can ensue due to easy access to guns and the few options that you have to stop the killing once its underway.  A driver in a car can kill, but they won't go on a killing spree, repeatedly killing victims with the same car in the same way.  

Gun ownership is a question of personal property rights.  I own guns because I enjoy the skill involved in shooting, and because I am trained to use them effectively, and by corollary to NOT use them when appropriate.  The thinking is the same as a martial art: the idea is to know when to use it for proper defense, never for offense, and never to gain attention.  Should I have my guns taken from me because my neighbor abuses his, or rather more accurately statistically abuses one he has acquired illegitimately?  Should I have my kitchen knives over eight inches long be taken away because the man down the street used a similar item to kill someone?

Owning a gun is a privilege not a right.  Just like driving a car. Its a controlled piece of property, because if misused it has the potential to inflict great harm on others.

In terms of personal property, I have a finite time on this Earth.  I spend that time earning a living performing jobs for other people.  Those people compensate me as an exchange for the time I have provided to them from my finite supply.  I then use that compensation to obtain products for myself, some to keep and some to consume.  The property I keep, or wealth I accumulate, becomes a tangible incarnation of the expenditure of my life.  Therefore, my property IS my life, and illegitimately taking away my property is tantamount to taking away my life.

See, in my part of the world rightly or wrongly one American stereotype is of a life dedicated to consumerism.

Saying that your property is your life I find sad.  Sorry but I do.  My son graduated from high school last night.  It was wonderful feeling watching all 6'4'' of him all-suited up walk up and accept his certificate with a firm handshake from his principal, when once his entire hand wrapped across my little finger...accumulating material objects as a life purpose to me sounds like such a waste.

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
Meanwhile, in other news today ...

Thread derailed and hijacked by the pro :uzi: and anti gun :mickeymouse: lobbists

Mods seem unwilling to intervene to steer the thread back on course - lack of potential bans  and beer :pint: attributed to be the reason why

We'll have more on this, and other stories in our main news programme later tonight.

And now the weather ...
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
Right. Let's get back to the topic of
:angryfire::angryfire: WHAT JOHN DID :angryfire::angryfire:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
A thread that was completely derailed by concept from the very first post (initiated by a *moderator*), is now completely FUBAR.

And still running...

:rolleyes:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;750397
Therein lies the problem. Every human is a potential Whack Job. I'd prefer Whack Jobs to have a stick or a knife rather then a sub-machine gun.
Can we close this thread already.....?

+1

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
Can't someone get creative and insert a crusty old sock into this thread?

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
Quote from: persia;750421

Did that guy just spit popcorn out of his mouth and offer it to me?
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Dr. Chef

• Show only replies by Dr. Chef
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
Quote from: agami;750467
Did that guy just spit popcorn out of his mouth and offer it to me?
I believe he was kissing it.
Computers
iBook G4 - OS: MorphOS 3.9
Amiga 500 NTSC (512k ram + 512k a501 trapdoor) - OS: WB 1.3
AMD FX-8350-8core - GTX 970 SC - 16GB Ram - Asus sabertooth 990fx r2
 Jesus is my king.

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »
Lets just say it is all Obama's fault.. Including the banning of members on here.

That seem to be the Republicans response to everything!
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2013, 02:25:10 AM »
I don't understand what you mean by "Obama's fault" and "Republicans response". Maybe you could explain it to us non Americans here instead of just assuming we should already know.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2013, 02:59:43 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;750473
I don't understand what you mean by "Obama's fault" and "Republicans response". Maybe you could explain it to us non Americans here instead of just assuming we should already know.

It's pretty self-explanatory (right-wingers laying the blame for basically everything at his feet, even things that occured years before he was elected or for which he has no control over, etc.). Jenna Marbles can explain it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkQxHlr2fXM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:03:01 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;750473

He's just making a dumbass remark.  

Democrats say Republicans have the blame obama syndrome... Just like Republicans said democrats had bush derangement syndrome.

This image says it all.

http://i.imgur.com/LgscdTS.jpg
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed