Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Multiple OS users  (Read 7129 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Multiple OS users
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 03, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »
I use different OS's everyday on lots of different computers. On a regular basis i use the following: Snow Leopard, Leopard, Ubuntu, Winuae, Windows 7 and xp so that's 6 different OS's. Next week sometime i will also be using MOS. But my main is Ubuntu which i use about 85% of the time. In my opinion Ubuntu is so easy to move around the place and everything else is just clumsy compared to it.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
I
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:55:30 PM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
Well, I'm just putting the finishing touches on OS X 10.4.11 (for games and Photoshop) and MintPPC 9 (for everything else) on my new PowerBook G4. Once I get the last few kinks ironed out and my files transferred, I'll be bidding farewell to Windows (except for an XP box I'm keeping around for VSTs/audio editing.)

I might give MorphOS a shot when it runs on this, we'll see.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;665469
How many of us Amiga.org users currently have more than one OS that we use on a regular basis?

I'll start by listing all the OSes I use at least once a week.

AmigaOS1.3 to 3.9
MorphOS2.7 & 3.0 beta
MacOSX 10.5.8
Windows Vista Ultimate

and occasionally,

Linux Ubuntu 10.10 PPC

I use just about ever OS except those pertaining to anything that uses MAC, I can't stand a apple product, I get the willies just thinking about touching one. It is a very slimy machine.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
At work, I have no choice.  Windows XP professional on corporate network.

At home we have three x86 tower systems, an x86 laptop, my PPC system and an ancient A2000HD (mostly retired).

Windows 7, Windows XP, QNX, OS4 and AmigaOS 3.1.

At home, I use OS4 and QNX the most and occasionally AmigaOS 3.1 for old times sake.

---
redfox

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »
I use:

AmigaOS (3.x, 4.x)
Windows (Win7, WinXP)
Linux (Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, Maemo 5 on my Nokia N900)

:)
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:09 AM »
Quote from: smerf;666439
I use just about ever OS except those pertaining to anything that uses MAC, I can't stand a apple product, I get the willies just thinking about touching one. It is a very slimy machine.

smerf

I don't know how many years I have read your posts repeating this phobia toward inanimate electrical devices that were at one time associated with the Apple company.

Have you considered getting some psychological treatment to overcome your fear, or irrational hatred of these electrical devices?  :roflmao:

Surely it can't have anything to do with you thinking that by purchasing a 5 or 10 year old piece of used computer hardware you would be contributing to, or benefiting the manufacturer that you hate so much?

Also, as long as I practice good personal hygiene, none of my computers become "slimy".  Do yours?

Edit:  Apple makes the finest quality G4 computers that were mass marketed on the planet.  Your feeble attempts to discredit them are sad little moans that are not based on any technical merit or reasoning.  Your constant posting of your emotional feelings about using anything associated with Apple does not inspire confidence in your technical opinions or knowledge.  Other than that you seem to be an okay guy most of the time.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:27:25 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:30 AM »
Quote from: redfox;666451
At work, I have no choice.  Windows XP professional on corporate network.

At home we have three x86 tower systems, an x86 laptop, my PPC system and an ancient A2000HD (mostly retired).

Windows 7, Windows XP, QNX, OS4 and AmigaOS 3.1.

At home, I use OS4 and QNX the most and occasionally AmigaOS 3.1 for old times sake.

---
redfox

I always regretted that the partnership between Amiga and QNX did not survive and flourish.  I think it could have been a good partnership and we might have gotten a better official Next Gen AmigaOS sooner if that partnership had lasted.  The failed partnership with QNX is just one more missed opportunity in the long and sad Amiga history.

You don't see to many people that use QNX posting about it on Amiga forum sites.  Do you have any idea how large, or small the QNX for desktop user base is and what the number of developers writing software for it might be?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:53 AM »
@amigadave

interesting poll.  for at least three hours in a given week, i use the following:

1.  amigaOS 4.1u3
2.  solaris 11
3.  GNU/linux (openSUSE 12.1rc1)
4.  AIX 7L
5.  z/OS v1.13
6.  z/VM v6.1

i use amigaOS and solaris at home; the others are for work.  i haven't used windows in years, er, well, except when i have to recover data or fix some odd configuration problem on my wife's PC.  i try to get her to go over to something more sane, but.... ;)

edit: if you're also interested in mobile platforms, i'm running blackberry OS 5.x on my mobile and blackberry tablet OS 1.0.7 (which is QNX-based) on my playbook....

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:32:27 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
I use Windows Xp Pro mostly on 4 different laptops--3 Thinkpads and one Sony Vaio. I have OS 3.1 on both my Amigas. I had OS 3.9 on my A4000 but the disk crashed and I haven't had time to reinstall it. I use TOS 2.6 on my Atari Mega ST and Mega STE. I also have an older Thinkpad that is just about as vintage as my Amigas--1998--and it multiboots MSDOS, several versions of Windows, Linux and OS/2. I only really use DOS and Windows 2000 on this laptop. DOS for such things as my eprom burner and Parcp to transfer files from my Mega ST and a few other programs I use occasionally that require MSDOS and won't work in Windows. My Amigas also multiboot but not different OSes, different graphic systems. My A2500 multiboots EGS, Picasso 96 and Cybergraphics on it's EGS spectrum card and my A4000 multiboots Picasso 96 and Cybergraphics on a Picasso II.

I also have a a Nokia phone with Symbian but the OS is really irrelevant, the only thing I use it for is Skype via wifi.

I just bought an Ibook G4 with a broken LCD and the new LCD will arrive next week so I will have some version of OSX for a while but my relationships with Macs never last. Usually, one of my friends or associates wants it more than I do and I end up selling it. I've already been asked about this one and I haven't even fixed the LCD or tested it to see if anything else is wrong with it.

Oh, and I should mention Palm OS. I have 3 Palm Pilots in my collection with 3 different versions of Palm OS from 4.1 to Garnet
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:04:31 PM by Ami_GFX »
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;666174
Wow, a surviving CP/M user.
I used to own a second hand MP/M system.

How in the world did Bill Gates ever get away with creating an OS that looked so much like CP/M?

Pretty much because I have a copy dbase 2, and CP/M is an option on the C-128 - it grew from there.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
I use so many OSes ill agree with cammy that listing the one i dont use is better:

MacOS, cant stand it.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
I use a lot of operating systems. I recently also started playing with Haiku (BeOS) again. :)
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2011, 03:08:26 AM »
@nyteschayde

I like Haiku too, I really think they've done some fantastic work bringing it to where it is now... I have a spare machine I run Linux, Haiku and Aros on, and I have to say, Haiku updates interest me the most of all three!
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2011, 03:09:40 AM »
I do like what Haiku looks to be, just wish they hadn't abandoned the PPC port :/
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
I use AmigaOS3.9 occasionally on my A4000T.

I use AmigaOS3.9 quite regularly via WinUAE on my netbook when I'm not at home. (Hopefully next year I can replace it with a AmigaOS4 netbook:))

I use AmigaOS4.1 quite regularly on my Sam460ex when I am at home.

I, unfortunately, use Windows XP when I'm at work.
Also, I have Windows 7 running on the family PCs in my house (the PCs that the wife and kids use).
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie