Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ImageFX 4.5 Studio Download Available On AmiSphere Server  (Read 5338 times)

Description:

Offline 10MARC

I just ordered my copy. I own ImageFX 4.3 but cannot find my "Disk 1" - so this is wonderful!
I am very excited to try this out - it will supplement Art Department Pro quite nicely!

Thanks for releasing this!

Offline 10MARC

Re: ImageFX 4.5 Studio Download Available On AmiSphere Server
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 06:00:27 PM »
There seems to be a problem while installing this on a AmigaOS 3.1.4 install that has been installed over Amiga OS3.9 (so you can still use Reaction)
On test installs, as soon as ImageFX is loaded and you reboot, the resource.library stops working, so almost any Reaction software will fail. In my case it kills Amidock, and won't let me open some prefs.
I am currently restoring my entire SYS: folder to see if it fixes it.
I have not tested to see if it breaks AmigaOS 3.9 installations, but will try that later.

Addendum: restoring the entire SYS: partition gets me back and running - next I will try just restoring "Libs:", although to be honest, resource.library seemed untouched.

Addendum 2: The same problem occurs with a pure Amiga OS 3.9 installation. It reports that resource.library cannot be loaded on a reboot. It is most definitively overwriting something that it should not be overwriting.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:18:27 PM by Dynamic_Computing »

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »
Wild guess - it steals the LIBS: assign so that it no longer points at SYS:Libs, SYS:Classes etc.

Perhaps there is a typo somewhere - what did it write to S:User-Startup? Perhaps there is an "Assign LIBS: ...." that lacks an "ADD"?
Good thought. going to LIBS: brings me to the normal place. I suspect they replaced some library that resource.library needs, as resource.library seems to itself remain intact. I am going to dig thru the installer script to try and find the culprit.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »
I got the problem fixed with the Amiga OS 3.9 / 3.1.4 upgrade fixed. The installer is doing something to the SYS:classes/gadgets or SYS:classes/images files. I initially assumed it was the "chooser.gadget" or the "bevel.image" file that was overwritten, as those are the only two files that the installer overwrites. Copying them from a known working folder individually did not seem to solve it, but when I copied the ENTIRE contents of the SYS:classes/images and SYS:classes/gadgets folders from a working installation to the corrupted one, it works!
Note that this was tested on three different installs - two of which were Amiga OS 3.9 with Amiga OS 3.1.4 installed over it using the script, and the third was just a native AmigaOS 3.9 install.
Until the devs fix the issue with the installer, the best solution is to back up your entire "SYS:Classes" folder prior to installation, and manually restore it when you are done... If not things like Amidock, the entire prefs files, and anything that needs resource.library will totally fail.
I will reach out to Matthew Leahman directly in case he does not catch this thread.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
@amigakit Thanks for figuring that out and offering a solution. I did the installs in "Intermediate" and not "Advanced" so it just overwrote those files.

@kolla sometimes your advice can be so helpful, and sometimes you just sound sassy. We were just trying to get to the bottom of the error here and resolve it, not open a can of worms.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
If I buy the C.D. will I get a letter saying how to avoid the install error?
I can not access Amisphere.
Sorry if that is a horrible question.

A really good question, actually. It only happens in Amiga OS 3.9 (maybe 3.5 if anyone still uses it). If you have 3.1 or 3.1.4 you are fine.
If you install in "Advanced" mode it will warm you that it will over write the two files in question, and you can choose "no" and be ok.
You can also back up the entire SYS:/classes folder, and restore it after the install and it puts the correct files back. It does not cause Workbench to not load, just breaks certain parts of it. Hope that helps!

Addendum: It does seem that if you just restore bevel.image it will likely solve the issue. Just make sure you have a backup of it before installing on an AmigaOS 3.9 system
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:15:39 AM by Dynamic_Computing »