Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's baaaaack. WebOS  (Read 3036 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: It's baaaaack. WebOS
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;764199
Not sure what you mean here, but if it is the possibility to start your own WLAN, thats just a fingertip on any smartphone these days.

Actually, thanks to the barbaric American cellular service providers, it's still somewhat uncommon over here. They charge an arm and a leg for it, too.

When I was choosing my first smartphone, my choice came down to iPhone or webOS. I did ultimately go with the iPhone, which proved to be a good choice for the commercial longevity of my platform. But after webOS melted down, I was able to pick up a few devices on the cheap to play around with. The UI is incredibly clever, and the Synergy connectors are brilliant - sort of like Datatypes for communications. i.e., no need for separate clients for all your various providers - just get a Synergy connector and then your generic programs (email, chat, video call, filesystem, etc.) will all work.

Everyone said the webOS phone hardware was underpowered. That may be partially true, but I think performance could have been vastly improved if they had been able to tighten up their code. I hope the TV line is successful enough for them to try a phone again - it looks like things have gotten much slicker in the intervening years. I'd get one of the televisions, but I just bought a TV a few years ago, and it'll probably be at least another 5 before I'd consider replacing it.

Offline Matt_H

Re: It's baaaaack. WebOS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;764242

FYI : can tether as many devices as I want with my 9.95/month non-contract ;)

I sometimes wonder if it would be cheaper to get a European mobile provider and run in roaming mode from here in the US. Even with additional fees, I imagine it would still be pretty competitive on price. Seriously, the American carriers are absolutely awful. And it'll never change because they have near-monopoly power along with money and lobbyists infesting the political/regulatory environment. Sigh. Rant over.

Quote from: polyp2000;764241
2) HP Fired a ton of engineers a while back. A chunk of these were the engineers that were working on WebOS. This happened when HP ceased development of WebOS and open sourced it. Google hired the team , and allowed them to continue work on it.  I see that as a positive step in keeping WebOS alive .

Well, Google hired some of the engineers, who then incorporated some webOS-like concepts into Android. They weren't continuing work on webOS itself. But yes, it's good that those features are making their way into the wider market, because they really are excellent. iOS multitasking finally got less dumb with version 7!