Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga spotted in Stranger Things Season 4  (Read 1881 times)

Description:

Offline CassTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cass
Amiga spotted in Stranger Things Season 4
« on: May 28, 2022, 08:42:45 AM »
It`s 1986 and the home computer to hack the grades in high school is a brand new Amiga 1000.
You may see this during the first 15 minutes of the first episode in season 4 of Stranger Things.
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Amiga spotted in Stranger Things Season 4
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 08:59:23 AM »
I found some illustrating pictures in a Discord.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 07:59:00 AM »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 04:16:38 PM »
They use a different monitor (clearly not a 1080) for the close-up shots (at 0:24 in the clip) than they do for the others. But they still slapped the Amiga badge on it to try to maintain continuity!

And in the overhead shot at the end, the 1080's power LED is clearly off (yet the 1000's LED is on). I'm assuming they superimposed all the screen imagery in postproduction. Plus there's a big case of MovieOS in this scene! They probably could have done it all in-camera with a DPaint anim or AmigaVision (and with proper topaz/8) for cheaper, but there probably wasn't enough communication between the on-set art department and the VFX department to prep that ahead of time.

As an editor, I can't help but nitpick. :)
In narrative art, the fine details that hold people in a story are critically important, because if done wrong they can pull people out of a story. I once had to turn something down because the author described PacMan as a retro game from the late 90s running on historically inaccurate hardware. The author clearly hadn't done their research, which then led me to question the integrity of everything else in the piece. It's not as significant in this scene since the errors are so minor relative to the story that only weirdos like us (or just me :))) will notice them.

P.S. I also wonder if the artistic choice to use an Amiga was a "correction" for Commodore's infamous botching of the deal to use an Amiga in Star Trek IV.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:32:49 PM by Matt_H »

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 11:08:38 PM »
And in the overhead shot at the end, the 1080's power LED is clearly off (yet the 1000's LED is on). I'm assuming they superimposed all the screen imagery in postproduction. Plus there's a big case of MovieOS in this scene! They probably could have done it all in-camera with a DPaint anim or AmigaVision (and with proper topaz/8) for cheaper, but there probably wasn't enough communication between the on-set art department and the VFX department to prep that ahead of time.

Syncing the frame rate of the monitor with the camera, is probably an issue (if there is no vsync, black horizontal bars would appear scrolling over the monitor).

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 06:58:15 PM »

Syncing the frame rate of the monitor with the camera, is probably an issue (if there is no vsync, black horizontal bars would appear scrolling over the monitor).

That's also a good explanation, but if they were superimposing all the imagery anyway they could have left the monitor on. Or superimposed the LED light as well. :)