Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney  (Read 42817 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:15 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;627513

Barry is a real business man, assembling a real team and is laying down real money. Will he ultimately succeed or fail? I can't say. I will agree that many assessments are off base and seem almost religious in nature.

I'd like to quote one of my favorite TV characters

"He who dares, wins!" :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
Quote from: brenry;627702
Their money would be better spent hiring Franko to promote their product than disney.

:roflmao:

At least then you would have the C= community willing to listen.  You are just continuing to make enemies.  The same people who post on that forum were probably paid to say stuff like that as well on the facebook page.  They.. well.. they don't sound like real people.

Oh, yeah... we're paid. I got a 15% share in C=USA for saying that I like their plans. It's not too late for you to get some shares too :lol:

And I also got Olivia Wilde's number :lol:. I'm taking her out for dinner :lol:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
Quote from: brenry;627715

Barry is the new David R. Foley in the emulation world.

That's curious to say because

a)you know very little of his plans

b)Barry isn't really doing anything to the emulation world but giving them new machines to run on, if you like them. Hell, he'll maybe even be providing extra source of income for old/new C= and Amiga devs.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:28:19 PM »
I wonder what Steve Jobs thought if he has seen any documents regarding promotional deals(probably not, but let's imagine)...

"Hmmm, Commodore, from where do I remember this name?" :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
For anyone that doubts there's interest in C=USA machines, take a look at their facebook page. The number of people who liked C=USA is going up by the minute. I imagine the spike will be even greater tomorrow and once TV commercials begin and this is just the beginning :).

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627774
So again, who are they aiming at?  PC users who want an 80s case?

I guess the same people who are buying FIAT 500s and getting this

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627779
If the Commodore brand had such good ranking, why have half a dozen bigger companies (Escom, Tulip etc.) failed over the last 15 years?

AHAAA! Now we're getting to the point... Good question. Maybe because their modus operandi was too much like Commodore's? Maybe because they were not really in sync with the market? Maybe because they sold non-competitive products? Or maybe all of the above.

Ah people who buy an overpriced and less functional Fiat Panda and are  than suprised that it's still typical italian quality (read that car  sucks donkey rear)....

well, they can't keep up with demand so they must be doing something right.
BTW, my family has the original and the new 500. :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627793
I'm not feeling the car analogy.

why not, it fits perfectly... from the marketing, to the execution, right down to the price and brand awareness. You couldn't find a better example to compare with, C64x and Fiat 500 or New Beetle.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627798
Well firstly because classic cars are actually seen as quite stylish, desirable and classy things to own, owning a computer from the 80s (or a replica) is looked at as a bit sad/nerdy and incapable today.

really... have you seen, for example, Citroen 2CV? It's uniformelly called an "ugly duckling" from where I'm from but still Citroen plans to release a 2CV retro inspired car because the old one still remains impossibly popular and a car icon. Have you seen a Renault 4? Same thing...

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627801
Because the Amiga brand is something I cherish, it was a machine that literally changed my life, most of the creative things I do today, in my career and with computers were crafted and I fell in love with on the Amiga.

So if the new Amigas enable you to do all of that again would you still be against it?
Because C=USA is really not into making cheap rubbish and slapping stickers... If they were I'd be the first to say "Hell no!".

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
Quote from: mongo;627806
The difference is that the New Beetle was actually a pretty good car while the C64x isn't a good computer.

the truth is that the New Beetle was nothing special(Golf mk4 platform, pretty shabby plastics, the only thing they had was the design and I myself prefer the Porsche's version of the iconic shape :)) and that c64x hasn't been tested or reviewed yet so it's clear you have nothing to base your opinion on, do you? :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627809
Not if they're doing what I've read so far, putting generic x86 motherboards in vaguely Amiga-ish cases and calling it an Amiga.

There's nothing else to put in there. Custom hardware would only ensure that it's underpowered, overpriced, outdated and late to market several years. I see we're still learning lessons from the early 90s.
BTW, I love custom hardware as much as anyone else here. I just do not live in a fantasy where it will ever be a viable option with current technology. That's why it only makes sense as a hobby, a low cost hobby, preferably. So I'll get myself a classic 68K amiga and enjoy in the "customness" of the design.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;627792

I wonder what these numbers will be after people start opening their TRON DVD?

It seems that some people are already getting their Tron DVDs. Numbers are climbing fast.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627815
Then if you want to be taken seriously as an Amiga, do what Apple have done, or what Commodore would have done.  Redevelop the Amiga OS and platform for the X86, make sure it does things the Amiga way, build an alternative platform that holds the Amiga values and spirit of the Amiga.  Innovate and carry forward the values the brand held.  Shoving an off-the-shelf PC in a custom case and shoving Ubuntu or Windows on it is not even vaguely Amiga-like.

This is exactly what is planned. Mind you, C=USA would have NOTHING against Hyperion doing a x86 port(hell, they may even be prepared to pay for it) and selling it with C=USA Amigas. The ball is on Hyperion's court....
But for now the plan is to use Linux as a base. That could change in the future but I really don't see why is this getting so much negativity. It's pretty much the same what Gateway had in mind and it was a good plan back then and remains to this day.

Heck even if the original plan of putting money into AROS was carried on, I'd have been happier, but it would have taken a huge budget to get apps developed and get it to modern standards, which is probably not feasible, so don't bother.
Blame A.Inc and Hyperion settlement on that.

The Amiga was a platform, not just a brand of IBM PC compatibles.  If there's no money/time to run the Amiga platform or a development of it on this machine, then you're not going to be taken for anything more than bastardizing the name for a quick buck, that's why Amiga fans take offence.
quick buck? Well, tell you what... If Barry was asking yours and mine money up front for his machines I'd be there with you... since he's risking his own money and probably a lot of it in the face of SERIOUS uncertainty I wouldn't call this a quick buck business.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
Quote from: danwood;627820
So far all I'm hearing is something like Ubuntu with an Amiga-like skin, which is nowhere near even close.  OS 4 is fine for us hobbyists but it's not good enough to be a mainstream OS today.  

Ubuntu will be sold with early C64x because the C=OS is not ready. All those who bought these early C64x will be mailed C=OS when it's out. That's the only mention of Ubuntu for now.

Using Linux as a core for a new OS is fine if you're being serious about developing an AmigaOS, which does things the Amiga way (C, DEVS, S etc.) is polished and has included transparent emulation layers, uses AmigaDOS commands etc. then you have my interest.
They're pretty serious. As far as I know, they're in talk with several technology companies. So you might just get your wish of some custom hardware inside. I do not know their exact plans for the OS, though.

If CUSA are really developing a next gen Amiga OS which will be a platform of it's own, then of course it would have most of our support, but so far all we're hearing is it will be a generic PC in an Amiga-ish case at most with Ubuntu with an Amiga-look-a-like GNOME skin.
Well, not much officially has been said over the development of the OS. However, some of us have been informed of the general direction they'd like to follow... and I do not get the impression they want to do a generic PC in an Amiga-ish case with Ubuntu and some Amiga skins.

Maybe some more details are needed here?
I agree with you there and we'll probably hear some more details on the future plans and products in the coming months.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:25:07 PM by WolfToTheMoon »

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 04, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »
Quote from: number6;627829
Sorry to [snip] in order to tie these two ideas together.
But claiming the ball is on (in) Hyperion's court whilst implying there is something in the settlement that prevents such a thing from taking place is somewhat confusing.
If I'm misreading you, please clarify.

I'm just saying it's up to Hyperion if they would like to join this adventure of not.

Dave Haynie likes Commodore USA, LLC. I guess Dave Haynie is a CUSA fanboy and not a real Amigan?    

Dave's the man. I had a look at his interests, what a man(I'm saying this ina  strictly non sexual way :lol:) and what a life! :)