Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: KryoFlux - High Definition Flux Sampler for USB  (Read 10188 times)

Description:

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
Re: KryoFlux - High Definition Flux Sampler for USB
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
I asked this in another thread somewhere, but it got buried.. :-)

I no longer have a 5 1/4" PC drive.
Now, there's time, since I'm going to be buying one of your interfaces when it comes out, as my soldering skills are passable, but just barely.. :-)

So, I thought I'd start hitting the old electronic stores and looking for drive mechanisms..  

Is there anything I should be looking for?

Just any HD 5 1/4" PC floppy drive?  I saw something on one of your updated at mentioned heads stopping and not getting to -8, but only -4 or something like that..

Is that probably not a big deal and I should just grab any 5 1/4" HD drive?
I'm not really worried about flippies at this point (where I think the above issue was) and mostly thinking of C64 and Apple II floppies (and eventually Coleco Adam, as I do have one of those drives, which doesn't get much use..).

Thanx,

desiv

p.s.  How come I can't order a case of 100 Elephant 5 1/4" DSDD floppies for $35 (OK, I don't remember how much, but it didn't seem like much) like I used to be able to... :-)
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
Re: KryoFlux - High Definition Flux Sampler for USB
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:10:11 PM »
Quote from: fiath;544139
As long as you don't need to do flippy disks, you can use any standard PC HD 5 1/4" drive, yes. However, if you are interested in C64 and Apple II disks, I guess you might want something that can do flippy disks? Yes, that may require a drive mod for many drives to step to -8. We are still researching what drives are best for doing it...

Thanx for the heads up.

I might eventually be interested in flilppy's, so I'll be watching what you get on there.  But I think I'll start shopping (trying to find some that still work) for HD drives now.  That way, I will have something I can use when your card is available.

I might be able to mod it if/when I need flippy's, or just get another modable (is that a word?) drive when that happens.  :-)

Great news...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.