Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1.4 and Deluxe Music 2.0 -- audio gets stuck in an infinte loop  (Read 10816 times)

Description:

Offline my_pc_is_amigaTopic starter

I have 3.1.4 installed on an A4000T and have tried both the DMusic program and DMPlayer to play some saved deluxe music songs.  In both cases, the song may play for a few seconds and then gets into some infinite loop (and Amiga hangs).   

Multiview, EaglePlayer, and some other programs that uses the amiga audio are working okay. 

Re: AmigaOS 3.1.4 and Deluxe Music 2.0 -- audio gets stuck in an infinte loop
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:12 PM »
Thanks for checking I’m baffled though I did get cleophia song to work but the others not working  for me

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 06:19:47 AM »
This is for playback of the amiga internal audio.    I did some more testing:

1) A3000 with 030 -- works fine.
2) A4000T with 040 -- applying "nofastmem" works fine.

Started to suspect something was bad in my fast mem...so I started to pull some fast memory out but still saw same issue and then I tried

c:cpu NODATACACHE -- works!

Does the 3.1.4 ROM itself set the CPU differently then it did in the past (i.e. in 3.1)?

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:43:13 PM »
Then, you should first check that you have a properly working and updated 68040.library.

I highly suggest that you use the MMULibs (Aminet).

Thanks -- I had actually tried 2 ways.   I have a A3640 board on the A4000T and so I used the CBM 68040 library that came with the original 3.1 install disks (mmulib not installed).  And then I tried the 68040.library from mmulib with mmu.library and 680x0.library.  Both ways I get some kind of crash (when DATACACHE enabled).

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 05:47:20 AM »
As for this problem, it is too early to say. One thing that happened is that the audio.device was recompiled with SAS/C instead of lattice, and SAS/C does not only have a different register allocation (triggering the bug in the doom sound library), but it also optimizes better - which might be a problem with hardware register access.

The NODATACACHE option actually is not reliable -- I thought it was working but I was wrong :(
What has changed from my yesterday report is that I pulled my Denab card out and BigRam board out and kept the 16MB of fast memory.  If there are any debug steps to help with this, please let me know.   

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
First off, we are very fortunate to still have very talented programmers for the Amiga and I want to thank Thomas and others involved for the AmigaOS3.1.4 update!  This post was not meant to put any "bad press" but rather just to feedback and get help in case there was something that could be done.

Thomas, the workaround fix you mentioned, does that take care of the DeluxeMusic problem or was this for the doomslibrary?  Or is it the same bad programming in both programs?  Would be nice if more software could have their source code transferred or if Deluxe Music could get some revitalization?  Wouldn't know how that could be done but SoftWood FinalWriter is an example though.

it is eay to add a workaround (essentially, one line of C code), and the workaround does not hurt. In other cases, such workarounds are costly and not included. With every non-working application, we generate "bad press" because somebody will blame and complain and will argue that this Os is just an incompatible mess because his favourite program does not run anymore, without understanding that it is not the Os to blame, but a lazy author or an unwilling third party provider...

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:06:01 AM »
These two problems are unfortunately unrelated.

I have just recently noticed something else now which I've been seeing with several mod player/music programs (EdPlayer, EaglePlayer, OctaMed soundstudio).  I only see this on my A4000T/040 and haven't seen it on the A3000 / 030 (both have 3.1.4 installed).   While playing a song, I'm seeing my fast mem. depleting.   I have not noticed anything on chip memory.  And if I exit the program and do a avail flush the free mem. is not restored.  So looks like there is some kind of memory leak but again have only been seeing this on the A4000T/040.   I'd be happy to do any additional debug on this if there are any suggestions.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:34 PM »
These programs do not use the audio.device, they bang the hardware.

I used SnoopDOS to find that audio.device is getting loaded by EaglePlayer and EdPlayer.   I also used ROMSPLIT to extract the older audio.device 37.10 and then used LOADMODULE DOWNGRADE to load it.  I tried 37.10 and then went back to 45.15 and for whatever reason, I haven't been able to reproduce this on 45.15 now.  I'm totally mystified why I was seeing seeing it before. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 05:12:07 AM by my_pc_is_amiga »