Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fill me in on the last 4 years in the Ami world  (Read 1231 times)

Description:

Offline darkageTopic starter

• Show only replies by darkage
Fill me in on the last 4 years in the Ami world
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:18:16 AM »
Hi All,

I've been absent from the Ami world for the last 4 years.   Can anyone fill me in whats been going on during this time ?  Seems like theres an explosion of 060 accelerators but not enough CPUs to go around  and a crazy amount of OSHW which is interesting.  Retro hardware seems even more expensive even though it was already expensive in the beginning.  Vampire is now standalone and probably still a lengthy waiting list.   I was surprised to see recreations of a500 & a1200 mainboards.     I have to dedust my a500 & a1200's off now..   Still waiting for my a500 case recreations but will take time :)  I'm glad to see Cammy active again.

Offline Gryfon

Re: Fill me in on the last 4 years in the Ami world
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 11:50:41 AM »
Welcome back!

Interest and activity seem to be ramping up across the whole range of what we call "Amiga" - now is an excellent time to jump in.

These are just a few examples, some have been in the making for many more than 4 years and I'm only scratching the surface.

1)  Release of new english print magazine "Amiga Addict"
2)  Release and maturation of the Vampire V2 FPGA accelerators for 68000 Amigas, a V2 card for A1200, the V4 Standalone Vampire and up-and-coming new V4 accelerators for the above (and possibly for the A4000)
3)  Increasing in the range of Terrible Fire accelerators - add-on accelerator cards for Amigas ranging up to 68060
4)  Pi Storm - a project to drop-in a Raspberry Pi into a 68000 socket where the Pi emulates the CPU (at high speed), also providing RTG, HDMI out, RAM and hard disk for the Amiga for very little cost.
5)  RGB to HDMI - a cheap solution to get clean RGB signals out to HDMI using Raspberry Pi Pico (older Denise chips only)
6)  Excellent additions and progress in Amiga emulator solutions - WinUAE, Amiberry, FS-UAE to mention but a few
7)  AmiKit, Aros-One, Icaros, Apollo OS, PiMiga - pre-configured Amiga environments for real Amigas / x86 hardware / Raspberry Pi.

Not to mention dozens of hardware solutions, new cases (Checkmate A1500 and A1200.net), keyboards (both replacements and alternatives to "real" Amiga keyboards), the MISTer project is a giant topic in itself covering way more than just Amiga, UnAmiga FPGA from EduArana... and many more.

\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
A3000 new mobo, AA3000+, with AGA and optional DSP

M-sata-IDE converters (beware 3.3 bolt types).

Kickstart 3.14 and 3.2 are maybe most significant.

Buffee hasn't quite made it out of the spawning lab yet. NonArKitten doing leaps and bounds of tweaking though, aiming for Amiga compatibility first.

One knockback has been the global chip shortage, STM32 lack has led to new Goteks having problemn with FlashFloppy firmware. for instance, also stalled production of Pi storm adapters.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 11:12:17 PM »
These will help you catch up such a great read https://davidpleasance.com/