Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Workbench 3.1 natural successor?  (Read 7694 times)

Description:

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
Re: The Workbench 3.1 natural successor?
« on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »
To be honest os 3.5 and 3.9 are really nothing more than a copy of os 3.1 somebody at H&P customised. They look nice, and have some nice software, but they offer nothing new if you already have a good 3.1 setup.

3.1 + MUI + Classact (reaction) + any TCP/IP stack for networking (I use the one from the 3.9 cd) = Runs more software than 3.9 does, out of the box. If its a modern program you'll probably end up copying lots of libs from aminet, no matter which os version you use.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:10:48 AM by Hell Labs »
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:45 AM »
that reminds me of something thats been in my head for the past week: Why isn't there an amiga package manager? Its far from impossible. just think:

>aminet-install netsurf

checking system... OS IS WORKBENCH, 3.1, M68060, AGA
checking libs... BLAH BLAH MISSING
downloading libs ... DONE
downloading netsurf ... DONE

Netsurf can now be found on your Work: partition, or another if specified at install time.

I'd rather that than spend three days solid googling weird files not even the developers can be arsed to list under system requirements.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;544612
just download a pre-installed workbench envirinment like classicamiga, amigasys or amikit.
That's not really any kind of solution at all.

"hey can you help me fit an alarm to my '63 Zodiac?"

"Just buy a brand new car from any fine ford dealer!"

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »
I'd imagine the package manager delvelopers would probably ask for a list of required libs and other files from the other devs.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
That would be a great feature.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »
Your font! It burns!

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;545029
WTF?

You're not getting a new computer, you're getting all the updates you need to to improve the functionality and perfromance of your machine without having to go out and hunt them down, configure them, work out the conflicts, all you need is a Workbench 3.1 disc or ADF.  How easy is that?

Terrible? There's more work there doing stuff like disabling eyecandy bollocks and tweking it so it'll actually run at a usable speed on real hardware, than there is to work your way up from standard 3.1.

The exception to that is Cwb because that was made by someone you could describe as "sane".

Offline Hell Labs

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »
I already said "The exception to that is Cwb because that was made by someone you could  describe as "sane"."

So really, you're preaching to the converted. and I've seen a thread where somebody ran amikit on an 060 and it was balls slow, i'm talking whoops-windows-xp-sp3-on-pentium-133mhz-64mb slow.

Can amiga in a box even be downloaded any more? last I tried it was gone.