Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 40693 times)

Description:

Offline mschulz

Thus, even the AROS folks admit that Open Source does not allow to advance the Os in the Amiga community. Somebody will have reasons to complain about something, and then all development is blocked. It is *exactly that* which makes Open Source for AmigaOs in this "community" undesirable.

It is great to provide a tiny quote from ancient FAQ in order to support a false statement. The very text you quoted was added to AROS as initial commit on Aug, 30th, 2002. Since then AROS has advanced in many many places, exceeding the targeted OS 3.1 practically everywhere. AROS was the first one working on x86, AROS was the first one working on ARM. AROS was the first one on 64 bit platform, providing 64-bit kernel and 64-bit software. AROS was the first one exceeding the 2GB memory limit. Finally, AROS was the first one showing that at least some degree of SMP is possible on AmigaOS-like system. Yet, despite all the advancements that were made, it can be compiled for x86_64 or m68k from the very same source tree and the m68k version (advancing every day) remains compatible with legacy m68k software as much as possible.

The following users thanked this post: SamuraiCrow, Tygre

Offline mschulz

Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »
Most "forks" on github etc are not about forking projects, but more about having a source for pull requests to the main repo.

This is exactly how we do it. I have my own AROS for from main repository. There, I can work on one or more several things at once, keeping each of them in separate branch. Once such branch is ready to be merged (e.g. a feature is complete, bugs fixed or whatever) I can create a pull request to the main AROS repository. Alternatively, I can create a pull request to any other for of the main repository if someone else wants to have it/test it.

Such workflow is very helpful and allows one to keep things separated as long as necessary.