Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux gaming in 2009?  (Read 803 times)

Description:

Offline FloidTopic starter

• Show only replies by Floid
Linux gaming in 2009?
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »
After years of diehard BSD use,* I've plunked a Ubuntu machine on my desk so I can be lazy and enjoy some often-working desktop magic "out of the box."

So, now that I'm one click away from a good chance of a pretty-much-working install of anything out there, what's "fun?"  I'm asking here because I know y'all have pretty good taste!

To limit things somewhat, try to leave out the following:

* Emulators:  That's cheating, and UAE would win anyway, right? ;)  However, particularly awesome new games that happen to target an emulator are fair play.

* Roguelikes / UNIX classics:  Personally, I have a hard time getting into these; for purposes of argument, let's assume everyone's already heard of them?

* TuxRacer, TuxCart, Frozen Bubble:  The three "decent-quality" projects everyone's heard of.

* Quake:  I know, I know, I know!  But if something completely different just happens to make use of the engine, let me know. :)

I won't put them on the list, but I've already enjoyed TetriNet and xgalaga for years, so I need something *new!*

Commercial offerings are also fair game... I haven't been paying attention, I'd like to know what exists!

*Before I start a war here: the BSDs remain great, but I've been trying to limit myself to one desktop until now, and that one's dedicated to DragonFly... which remains quite awesome, but it's a struggle to make it play desktop and "development machine" at the same time without getting all tangled up in pkgsrc!  Things are looking bright for the future -- Flash is in the process of being opened up, and AMD/ATI are giving backing to the X.org drivers, so things should be on a more equal footing -- but I've got to preserve my sanity in the meantime. :-D  And I need to keep up with Ubuntu for work, anyway... :lol:

Offline trekiej

Re: Linux gaming in 2009?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:21:57 AM »
I have seen a linux games web site that had a good list of games.
Wikipedia has a large list.
I am sorry I can not think of that site.
edit:
Here it is.
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.