Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips on moving to Linux?  (Read 20798 times)

Description:

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
Re: Tips on moving to Linux?
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »
From my personal experience of the main Linux distros, when they work fine and everything goes smoothly they are great, when you run into problems though Linux can be a bastard to fix.  Most of the problem solving advice still tends to be dropping into the Terminal and editing obscure config files.

Providing everything works out of the box though, you're in luck.  I almost put my fist through the wall spending almost an entire weekend trying to get an unsupported Wireless card to work with NDISWrapper and a problem with enhanced graphic drivers a while back.

For the basic day-to-day tasks most users do (web, email, facebook, youtube) Linux is great, in fact I put in on my brother's laptop as he had a habit of ending up with malware every few days (80 trojans on his Win 7 machine on last count was enough for me to replace it with Linux Mint).  

It does lack applications which I need for work though which is why I keep Windows and OS X around for apps like the Adobe Suite, Pro Tools/Logic, and decent video editing software, but for general use Linux can be fine.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;761334

The thing is thats its often simple stuff that should not be an issue by now but it is.  A dodgy CD driver can boot you into a shell and you end up not having a clue why.  Off to the  forums and watch as your spare time crosses the Linux event horizon as you try and track the error down.

This is totally my experience, when everything is sailing along fine and working it's great, as soon as something breaks though, there you are in the depths of Bash and text editors editing all these obscure files and typing unintuitive Unix commands.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Sean Cunningham;763521
The belief that Microsoft "saved" Apple is predicated on the belief that without these events Apple wouldn't be here today.  That's a really big assumption.

It was Steve Jobs who saved Apple.  Period.

He did, but he couldn't have done it without Microsoft's investment, they made a life-saving cash injection into the company.

Don't get me wrong, they didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts, back then Microsoft were getting torn apart by the competition and monopolies commissions, particularly in Europe, it was the anti-trust era.  Microsoft needed a competitor to still exist, hence they saved Apple.