Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips on moving to Linux?  (Read 20796 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Tips on moving to Linux?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 18, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »
Quote from: AmigaPixel;762774
Well doing a quick search I found this article which helps explain the Ubuntu system monitor, but it does not tell of any keyboard shortcuts in case the mouse is frozen. It does'nt it mention if you can end specific programs.

open a terminal window (ctrl+alt+t) then do killall firefox in the cli. If it complains the stick sudo infront of it. So long as you know the terminal command to run a program you can kill it the by apending killall infront of it. If not you can do a check using top or ps.

I reall like htop, which is a enhanced veriosn of top, for doing process management in terminal. It gives clear info on what state the system is in and gives a breakdown of running processes on both user and root. If you are on a debian/ubuntu system simply do sudo apt-get install htop and bingo bango it is done. To run type htop in a terminal and off it goes. If you need enhanced privlidges for something stick sudo infront of it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:12:45 AM by CritAnime »

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 03:51:29 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;762782
And with that, we get a quick lesson as to why so many people are sticking with Windows.
For God's sake, why isn't there an app for this that doesn't require the use of a terminal?
I feel like I'm back in the '80s with crap like this.

There are numerous tools available, just like there is in Windows. Showing someone the Teminal way of doing things is not heresy towards a gui way. But if something does go wrong with the gui then terminal will be the way to go.

Quote from: stefcep2;762790
And in time you'll be saying that about 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04 or whatever version. This idea that a new version is put out every 6 months is madness, although better than the distro's who are on a rolling update. THATs like playing Russian roulette, with every update you get everyday.

All distro's are on this hamster wheel to up the version number that stability is secondary to having the latest. And YOU get to be the guinea pig for every new version.

Someone needs to take some chillout time. You do know the difference between Ubuntu release models don't you? Such as LTS and standard releases?

They make it pretty clear what the difference is between releases.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »
@stefcep2

After you have finished your little tantrum maybe you need to read the post I replied to.

Well doing a quick search I found this article which helps explain the Ubuntu system monitor, but it does not tell of any keyboard shortcuts in case the mouse is frozen. It does'nt it mention if you can end specific programs.

They were looking for keyboard specific solutions. I offered a keyboard specific solution. It's not the only keyboard specific way. Maybe you need to keep off the caffeine because it is obviously not good for you.

Quote from: stefcep2;762802
1.  I do know the difference.  Even with LTS, the updates are not always fully tested.  Especially when a new LTS version is released.  Look at the Unity LTS debacle.

Just look for Windows failed updates or Windows update gone wrong. In fact look at Metro when it was introduced.  

Failed updates happen on all OS's. They can't account for every hardware config in the world. Even Microsoft can't do that.

LTS releases have a long support life. You are not forced to upgrade as soon as a new lts is released.

2.  Ubuntu doesn't equal Linux.  In fact its not even the most popular distro, Mint is.   Which is a rolling release..which means more Linux users are subject to the risks of running rolling releases.

We know Ubuntu doesn't equal Linux. But I think you have got your facts wrong. Mint Debian Edition is rolling release and based off Debian Testing, but even this is a semi-rolling release which introduces snapshot packages from the testing respoitories. Mint, the main editions, it's self is based directly off Ubuntu and follows roughly a month after each Ubuntu update. That is not a rolling release model. Ubuntu is not a rolling release.

Also where did you get your fact that Mint is the most popular distro, Distro Watch? Because if you did then this is not a good indicator of what is popular.

Bodnar has written that "I'd like to believe that there is some truth in the figures, but in all honesty, they really don't mean all that much and should not be taken very seriously" and "NOT an indication of [...] market share or quality".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:04:43 AM by CritAnime »