Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips on moving to Linux?  (Read 20806 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: Tips on moving to Linux?
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2014, 01:58:48 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;761421
They were possibly using a Vista PC with tonnes of crapware, defrag on all the time, defender scanning all the time, system restore and the indexing always on.  It helps if they had 2 MB RAM.  

OOOHHHH...so you're saying the UUUUSSERRRRR did that.  Wait..no its not the USER.. remember?  You just said that a few posts up when we were talking about LINUX.  Hold on.. let me quote it.

Quote from: stefcep2
Yes here we go again-blame the user. Its always the user.

Isnt that  what you're implying in the first quote above?  You're saying its the users fault, yet you yourself are trying to deflect blame in Linux to the OS itself.

I have tweaked my dual XP/Vista install and i bet no-one would tell vista apart from Win 7 once it booted: most benchmark reviews I've seen put them neck and neck, even Vista ahead in some tests.

Other than boot time, I saw no performance gains in using Ubuntu on the same system.  And no Direct X10.

I dunno...my ultrabook boots up to full Debian in 12 seconds with no tuning done on my part.  I guess thats fast.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2014, 02:04:06 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;761419
I'm not trying to convert ex-users into current users.  Not my battle, not my problem.  People have their own choice.  I just want a level playing field for potential users.  Throwing FUD and seeing what sticks isnt exactly level, so I help tilt it back in the right direction.
I love how discussing real issues that we've experienced firsthand is "throwing FUD" and "tilting the playing field." Yeah, Linux would totally have a fair shot if people would just stop having problems with it!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2014, 02:08:08 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;761423
I love how discussing real issues that we've experienced firsthand is "throwing FUD" and "tilting the playing field." Yeah, Linux would totally have a fair shot if people would just stop having problems with it!

When babelfish or google translate can convert trollspeak, I'll understand you better.  Till then, its all greek to me.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2014, 02:11:01 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;761421
They were possibly using a Vista PC with tonnes of crapware, defrag on all the time, defender scanning all the time, system restore and the indexing always on.  It helps if they had 2 MB RAM.  

I have tweaked my dual XP/Vista install and i bet no-one would tell vista apart from Win 7 once it booted: most benchmark reviews I've seen put them neck and neck, even Vista ahead in some tests.

Other than boot time, I saw no performance gains in using Ubuntu on the same system.  And no Direct X10.

When Vista first came out, there were a lot of programs that wouldn't work. Software written just a few years earlier. By SP3 Vista is nearly identical to Win 7.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;761424
When babelfish or google translate can convert trollspeak, I'll understand you better.  Till then, its all greek to me.
Classy, man.
[youtube]Cs4Gj7JsET4[/youtube]
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:09 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;761422
OOOHHHH...so you're saying the UUUUSSERRRRR did that.  Wait..no its not the USER.. remember?  You just said that a few posts up when we were talking about LINUX.  Hold on.. let me quote it.

Isnt that  what you're implying in the first quote above?  You're saying its the users fault, yet you yourself are trying to deflect blame in Linux to the OS itself.

Nope.  Not at all.  

I probably should have written "Vista comes with all those things on by default".  

That was Microsoft's fault.

Same as having them making the  default account in XP with administrator privileges which BTW is probably the most significant thing that they could have done to compromise security as soon as the user logged on.

Can't blame the user for not knowing what MS had done to a totally new OS.

I was that user myself- I wanted to take to my HP Mini-note with a hammer when I first turned it on with Vista Business SP1.  Totally unusable, as it indexed, defragged, shadow-copied, ran defender scans ALL the fricken time.

The point is one google search, untick a handful of boxes, disable a service. DONE.  No CLI, no archaic commands, no trawling through forums

I dunno...my ultrabook boots up to full Debian in 12 seconds with no tuning done on my part.  I guess thats fast.

I don't have an SSD so I can't say.

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2014, 02:51:37 AM »
Quote from: Fats;761414
For Windows the way to fix things is by reinstalling the OS. For Linux I never had to reinstall the OS just boot into rescue CD to fix a configuration I borked myself.
I have here a Windows XP partition I can't boot any more, even in fail safe. All I did was play with some BIOS settings and juggling some hardware. An OS should be able to withstand such things IMO. Didn't bother to reinstall the OS and just kept Linux.

I find it interesting to note that the zealots now seem to be in the Windows camp. The Linux users just talking about their own positive experience and willing to answer questions but not pushy to try to convince people to use Linux. I agree times have been different but Linux seem to becoming mainstream.

Thats one way to look at it.

Another is  experienced computer users have tried Linux, experienced issues, and have laid those issues out in the open.  

I seriously wish the Open Source folks didn't choose Linux to throw away countless man hours on.  One of the worst decisions in computing history.

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2014, 04:06:08 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;761430

I seriously wish the Open Source folks didn't choose Linux to throw away countless man hours on.  One of the worst decisions in computing history.

You sound like Hitler.  One choice only.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2014, 04:20:08 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;761433
And now the mod who accuses people of trolling simply for disagreeing with him is the one who Godwins the thread. Magnifique.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2014, 04:44:37 AM »
@above
Do you actually get into the registry and start optimising things. Are we discussing the OS, or just the UI?
Amiga is pretty good on both counts.
Neither Linux or Windows is very friendly when you are hunting down errors. It is usually easier to uninstall drivers etc. and then reinstall them.

Eventually hobby OSes will get the offcuts (I mean drivers and software) from Linux anyway.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2014, 05:42:02 AM »
Hi,

@all,

Have been using linux since probably 94, today I use unbuntu 13.10, but have used ubuntu since version I believe 7.0 or before, can't actually remember when.

OK,

Have been testing various versions for  the past 3 weeks, right now my choices are:

1. Zorin OS8, 64 bit, but may take it back  to 32 bit, because a lot of games don't like the 64 bit, by games I mean windows games, have trouble with Farcry 2 in 64 bit mode, but in 32 bit mode no troubles. Right now I am playing Far Cry 2, Oblivion, and my favorite Half life. Zorin 8 has three different modes, Windows 7, Windows XP and Gnome. I am using the windows 7 features because that is what I am used to.

2 Ubuntu 13.10 Hey it is simple, but I like Zorin right now just because of the windows 7 look.Ubuntu is very light on memory use, Zorin is just a tad bit heavier. If you want to see just call up the terminal (like CLI) and type in top.

3. Lubuntu Ok, I am partial to Ubuntu OS's.

4. Going to try out Majaro today after getting some sleep.

By the way if you don't like my post on what I say about Linux, go to Youtube, and call up Spatry cup of linux. I watch this guy because he tries out all kinds of versions of everything. He even has the Commodore OS Vision (CUSA) on there.

One thing about Linux, lots  of different versions to try, so you should be able to find one that suits your taste.

One of the easiest versions in Linux Mint 15 (been using that for the past couple of months, pretty cool, going to go after the new version Linux Mint 16 and try that.
One of the coolest ones is Knoppix. Would make an Amiga look like IBM Dos 1.0 in the eye candy seen, ut have a pretty good machine, it is really graphics  intensive. If you have an old PC like Iggy, well I would stay with one of the light distros like lubuntu, I mean like you know trying to run anything on an old machine like Iggy has, well is hard, I mean 256k of memory, and is it an 8086, no couldn't be I think even Iggy has an 80286.

Anyhow, if  you have a machine that can play Youtube, take a look at Spatry cup of Linux. He has probably over  400 reviews on Linux programs, and shows what they have on videos. Have a good day, and remember if you have a mini mac with Morphos you have the fastest booting machine in the world next to a C64, but the C64 has more useful programs and games.
Did you know the C64 holds  the title for the fastest booting machine, if you don't believe it, just turn it on and the blue startup screen is right there.

have a great day

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2014, 06:11:21 AM »

No, but its interesting thats how you took it.

I didn't say there should be ONLY ONE choice-only that Linux was the WRONG choice for them to waste their time on.

The user experience is now everything- but in Linux that's an annoyance that developers grudgingly consider.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:24 AM »
One other tip that helped me with Ubuntu:

Instead of downloading one of the "Live CD's", I'd download the mini-CD installer, or whatever it was called.  The one that was only like a 20 megabyte CD .iso image.  It would load up into an OS install routine that instead of loading drivers from the CD, would download everything over the Internet.  Obviously takes longer than just installing off a disc, but it's the best way to make sure you get absolutely the latest drivers for your hardware.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2014, 06:44:21 AM »

Seriously?

Offline Azryl

• Show only replies by Azryl
    • http://www.azryl.com
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:25 AM »
All computer problems are USER error.... replace the USER.. no more computer problems :)

Az
Completely useless? I can always be used as a bad example  :lol:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #89 from previous page: March 28, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;761381
Check out the Blender interface - it's designed for space aliens, by space aliens. The technical underpinnings may be excellent, but they're accessible only via a poorly-designed UI, which is a lot of Linux software in a nutshell.
Check out the current version, 2.70. The improvements that have been made since 2.49 (which is indeed a pig) are astronomical. Same for the 2.6 versions.