Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMIX signs of times  (Read 17340 times)

Description:

Offline salax54Topic starter

• Show all replies
AMIX signs of times
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
Hi there y'all! Actually this is my first post, so i'll just say i'm glad to have joined your community. My latest project has to do with what i call the A2000 GRT UX (Greek Tower Unix):hammer: Although i have started it a couple of months ago, there's other projects taking place simultaneously, so it's in slow pace :-)  Some of you might know my work from other forums, like the A600 GRL (Greek Laptop), but this is targeted towards the Unix enviroment.. To get to the point, the setup includes an A2000 rev.6 mobo, an A2630 accelerator, an A2090 SCSI controller with an accompanying Combitec autoboot module (Zorro), a Domino graphics card, an 8up memory card, 8MB RAM (4 on the 030 board and 4 on the 8up), an IBM 4GB SCSI hd, a Quantum 540MB SCSI hd, a Toshiba SCSI CDROM, and an HP SCSI DDS tape drive. That's for the time being though.. I plan on plugging also an Oktagon 2008 card, and a PGA370 PC board (Celeron 1.3Ghz), space permitting!  This whole thing is assembled in a full-size tower, which is already crowded! Pics of the project can be seen at http://www.amigahellas.gr/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=2470&forum=9  That's the Amigahellas forum of the Greek Amigans. So, i have reached a point where i believe the most essential parts of the assembly are in place, and have fired 'er up yesterday just for a fast test. The boot menu when pressing both mouse buttons brings up a screen like this What i don't know is wether this is a menu produced entirely from the accelerator or from the SCSI controller. I have seen screenshots of the A2630 board menu, which has only the first 2 selections (68000 or 68030) but not the AMIX option. I haven't done any formatting on the hd's yet, and there's no OS present (either AmigaOS or AMIX) Has anyone attempted to setup AMIX on an A2000 before? I'd appreciate any experiences!

• Show all replies
Re: AMIX signs of times
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:45:53 PM »
Can't tell yet exactly what ROM version i have since i couldn't boot anything for the moment, the floppy is going berserk! That means that i can't use something like say Sysinfo.. However, the 2630 is a REV 9 model. Here's a pic of the board

and here's a pic of the ROMs...

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
Allright, it appears that -04 on the ROM chips indicates they're version 4 (duh!) according to what i read at softwarehut's upgrade instructions pages. But as it seems, upgrading the ROM versions has to do with being able to use Kickstarts higher than 1.3 If that's the case, it's not what i'm after. I don't need to worry about KS or Wb versions, since i intend to use this machine solely for AMIX.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice folks! As i was saying, Kickstart versions ain't what i'm after, since i don't intend to use the Workbench at all on this one..
I have been visiting the amigaunix site for quite some time, and it does have some very useful info gathered, but it hasn't got the "flexible" forum-type conversation thingy i need. Talking directly with people who had a hands-on experience is very important!

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:25:12 AM »
Alrighty, it's been some time now.. Had AMIX run on UAE, so i forgot about this for far too long. Has anyone managed to use an RTG card with AMIX?
I've a Domino card, and a Retina Z3. Actually Domino is mentioned in the Wiki, as a possible workaround if one drags drivers from the Gateway UNIX CD.
But i'm in a dillema as to hold on to the Z3 or not. I'm almost sure it's a better card than the Domino, but haven't the luxury to keep them both...
Anyone care to share RTG-Amix experiences?