Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000 CPU&Kickstart selector PCBs  (Read 361 times)

Description:

Offline mutedsoundsTopic starter

Amiga 2000 CPU&Kickstart selector PCBs
« on: December 08, 2023, 10:39:24 PM »
Dear community,

I've just published a (license-free) PCB set that I initially designed for my own use in my Amiga 2000, enabling the selection of hardware configurations, CPU and Kickstart version, without opening the Amiga's case. They allow to permanently install two CPUs and two Kickstart ROMs, each selectable at power-on and reset.

The first PCB is a dual CPU board which plugs into the Amiga 2000's coprocessor slot, allowing:
  • installation of two processors, a TF536 board and a 68000/68010 for instance
  • selection of one of the two processors
  • selection of one of two kickstart versions
  • selection of one of two additional parameters, one can be used to control a DF0 selector for instance
  • support of latching off-on illuminated SPST switches for each parameter, CPU, kickstart, control3 and control4
  • guarantee a safe configuration switching, sampled on power-up or reset only
The second PCB is a dual kickstart ROM which plugs into the Kickstart socket U500, allowing:
  • installation of two Kickstart ROMs (DIP40), legacy Kickstart 1.3 and Kickstart 3.2.2 for instance
  • selection of one of the two kickstart ROMs from the dual CPU board using a 2-wire cable
The description, photos, Kicad files (version 8-beta) and BOM are available on github: https://github.com/mutedsounds/Amiga2000DualConfig

IMPORTANT: The proposed PCB set has been thoroughly tested on my Amiga. However, the PCBs were initially designed using an old version of a commercial tool, then converted to Kicad for license free sharing. As I'm not yet very familiar with Kicad, I strongly recommend reviewing the Kicad files before sending the PCBs into production. Please feel free to submit fixes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 10:47:26 PM by mutedsounds »