Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Oughta be in Ottawa! Show Report  (Read 1584 times)

Description:

Offline sdesros

• Show all replies
    • http://www.501st.ca/
Re: You Oughta be in Ottawa! Show Report
« on: November 25, 2003, 03:55:59 PM »
Actually, the event was organized by Technomages.. :)
Here are my comments on ANN.

There was an OS4 machine present, but I don't know if there were official demos as I missed the first few hours of the show.  It was running on a G3-800 Amiga One and it was pretty much sitting there for people to poke and prod it I guess.  As mentionned in the link, I would have liked to have seen more software running on it.   :-(

On the MOS machine, I squeaked in a preview of Knights and Merchants, Alladin 4D (now I've got to unwrap the copy I got eons ago to install it), MAME (the slowdown in the game matched the slowdown on the actual arcade hardware I have at home).  And well, a bunch of stuff I already have on my system: MPlayer, etc.
Steph

Offline sdesros

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 03:36:36 AM »
Yes, there was a drawing for:
3rd Place: Quake II (Hyperion's port)
2nd Place: Alladin 4D
1st Place: AmigaOne motherboard.

Interestingly enough the 3rd place winner also won the 1st place.  Sadly, it wasn't me. :(
Steph

Offline sdesros

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 05:16:47 PM »
I would hope so, considering all the nice things I have heard said about you. From what I have heard I would have expected you to reported much differently.

What exactly does that mean?  

I don't believe I saw the MOS system crash while I was there.      The only time I saw it reboot, was when Kermit was showing the reboot times. :P   The only issue was that MiamiDx had issues with the Router so the system couldn't go online for longer then a minute or so.  But that's a MiamiDx issue.  

As for OS4, it seemed to have been as equally stable in the show.  It might have been restarted once or twice, but I don't think it was because of a crash or anything.  It seemed to work and respond great on a G3-800 Amiga One + VooDoo 3 PCI.  It looks good, OS4 seems to have a softer look (remided me of the newer KDE).

Both systems worked well while I was tinkering with them.   I didn't tinker as much with OS4, YAM was up and I felt like I was invading their system.  I ended up digging on the MOS system more when Kermit left the room....  Hope he doesn't mind.  ;)  I played a little bit of Knights and Merchants and tried out MAME.

The way I see it, at the end of the day we'll have two very similar systems that will both do the same thing.  The only difference will be how compatible they will be once they both have native software.  And will it be possible to have some sort of compatibility layer between them.

A motherboard? I thought it was a complete system.

From what I can tell, it was a motherboard.  I don't remember the CPU and/or if it had ram... It was funny because as the girl got her name drawn for the AOne she was asking: "So...  Err... Can I have it?"  And everyone sort of looked at one another and then a few people said: "Well, there aren't any rules stating that the winner can only have one prize".  So she was given the board.
Steph