Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an Amiga as your main, everyday computer?  (Read 3676 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
Using an Amiga as your main, everyday computer?
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:58:38 AM »
If you're using an Amiga machine as your main, everyday computer, please let us know.  That goes for classic Amiga, OS4 SAM, Morphos machine, AROS machine, or any other flavor of Amiga.  And if that is the case, please let us know exactly what you're using, and give a few quick notes about the positives and negatives of your experience doing so.  What important things are missing?  Have you circumvented any initial problems, etc.?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:02:28 AM by orb85750 »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Using an Amiga as your main, everyday computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:08:47 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;609093
If you're using an Amiga machine as your main, everyday computer, please let us know.  That goes for classic Amiga, OS4 SAM, Morphos machine, AROS machine, or any other flavor of Amiga.  And if that is the case, please give a few quick notes about the positives and negatives of your experience doing so.  What important things are missing?  Have you circumvented any initial problems, etc.?

My main miggie is an A1200 BlizzardPPC/060 240Mhz/60Mhz 256MB RAM / 2 x 500GB IDE HDs / 2 x DVD Burners / SubWay USB / Cocolino Wireless Mouse / Custom Built Audio Amp&Mixer

OS 3.5/4.0

Positives- does everything I require from a computer with ease... :)

Negatives - getting harder to find replacement DVD Burners that will actually work with it... :(

Missing - The internet but only through choice... :)

Problems - Nothing that couldn't easily be solved with a bit of time and patience... ;)

Offline Fairdinkem

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:11:24 AM »
Simply not possible for me these days but I wish the opposite was true AmigaOS4 and all other derivatives of Amiga like operating systems are simply not far along enough, nor are the applications available that I need.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:24:54 AM »
Not yet, but soon, very soon.

It will be mostly as an experiment really, but I imagine I'll do well enough. Won't hurt to cut down on the internet either. Too easy to waste time watching dumb crap.

Sadly, I need some specific things for work, so my linux box isnt going anywhere.

As it is, I use my 1200 daily though.
Once I go all out, it'll be a simple regimen of "if it can't be done, I don't need it"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:44:25 AM »
@ Runequester

This might sound a bit strange but having never been in a position where I would need to use a computer for my work, I'm just curious to know what sort of things someone who is required to use a computer at work actually needs to do at home with a computer in connection with their work... :)

Not personal details, just a general idea of why it's needed at home, as I've never known anyone personally who has to do this... :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:00:49 AM »
Mac mini G4 1500 w/ MorphOS is my main maschine. Works for 95% of my personal everyday use.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:09:03 AM »
Quote from: Franko;609106

This might sound a bit strange but having never been in a position where I would need to use a computer for my work, I'm just curious to know what sort of things someone who is required to use a computer at work actually needs to do at home with a computer in connection with their work... :)

Not personal details, just a general idea of why it's needed at home, as I've never known anyone personally who has to do this... :)

Well, when I did my doctoral thesis I pretty often had times when I took quite some work home. Things for which I needed a Windows maschine were priimarily Matlab, Illustrator, MS word and VisualStudio.

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:14:44 AM »
I sure would like to use the Amiga for all of my daily tasks, but it just is not possible at the moment.

For work: The company I work for has a policy to use a standard hardware platform and software tools. I regularly push the boundaries of this as far as I can but the fact is there are many software packages that I'm using that are not available on the Amiga or there is no comparable Amiga product.

For home: I can do most everything on the Amiga that I really need to and try to do what I can with the Amiga. Fact of the matter is that not having a decent browser is really an Achilles heel. To get a round the browsing issue, I keep a Linux PC running side by side with the Amigas.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:18:41 AM »
@ Runequester

To save time I need occasionally to access documents and spreadsheets in formats that the amiga can't handle. So unfortunately no dice there. But thats a small distraction all things considered, as the thread was "main computer" rather than "only computer" :)

The main thing I'll miss out on being miggy only is online video stuff, but thats a time sink I am realizing I'd rather limit, in any event.
I'll be able to chat to people on MSN, access my email, download stuff from aminet and some simple web browsing (amiga.org f.x.). Thats all I need really.

Productivity stuff for personal use, or for printing and taking copies at work, music (loads of modules), a crapton of games, some messing around with deluxepaint, programming, all that stuff will be handled quite well by the old girl :)

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 02:29:20 AM »
I could *almost* get away with using a Miggy as my only system. On an 060 with an RTG card, I tried - but there were a few web sites that would choke AND editing large photos was either not possible or impractical. Modern printing today is also something the Amiga chokes on. Even with a fairly well configured TurboPrint  :(

Not too sure how MorphOS handles print jobs, but I could see using *that* type of system as an "everyday" platform - for my needs that is. I hope to revisit MorphOS again down the road, when it becomes available for some of these other Macs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:43:22 AM by save2600 »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »
Not even close, Photoshop, Aperture, Final Cut, iPhone development, Word documents, audio editing.  The Amiga requires to much sacrifice to be a main machine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 02:56:44 AM »
@ Runequester

I would think MS Office, a lot of gimmicky functions that don't work on OpenOffice (not sure which as I make do with basic text atm) and maybe a specialty database program that is only written for Windows.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:24 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;609119
I would think MS Office, a lot of gimmicky functions that don't work on OpenOffice (not sure which as I make do with basic text atm) and maybe a specialty database program that is only written for Windows.

I've never had trouble with open office, as far as MS word and excel compatibility, actually. Maybe Im just lucky

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:19:53 AM »
I use a few different systems daily, but normally the majority of my time would be spent between my a1200, my amithlon/os3.9 box, and aros. I say normally as my house is in a bit of disarray at the moment, so things arent "normal" right now. My Windows usage is normally PaintShopPro (so much better than photoshop for hand pixelling), 3dsmax, and watching videos when Im in my bedroom (which I also do on amithlon/os3.9 and aros sometimes, but I like to watch them on the t.v. in my room, and Windows is the only system of the 3 that allows me to use the t.v. as a secondary(concurrent/seperate) display). Unfortunately my network relies on my windows box as well, so it's pretty essential for me despite not getting as heavily used as the other systems.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
Not nearly enough income for an everyday-use caliber system, I'm afraid. I might see if I can make a go of it once NatAmi's finally available for purchase, though...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup