Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Take 2 Animation software gifted to the Amiga Community  (Read 5813 times)

Description:

Offline dschallockTopic starter

Take 2 Animation software gifted to the Amiga Community
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:29:55 AM »
Take 2 animation software written by Geert Vergauwe has generously been gifted to the Amiga community.

Geert Vergauwe, a professional animator himself, and author of the famous Take 2 animation software.  Mr. Vergauwe worked with Rombo the makers of the Vidi digitizers in the 80s and 90s to create a pencil test animation package that was made just for traditional animators.  The take 2 software was used extensively by animation houses as a line tester.  Some Amiga Take 2 stations are still in professional and academic use.  Today Mr. Vergauwe continues his work on this great software with the newest incarnation, Take 5 which runs on the Mac and PC platforms.  See his site www.cellsoft.be

When I was studying traditional animation in art school I purchased this great software for my Amiga, and used it through my studies as well as professionally in the video game industry.  Recently I wrote to Mr. Vergauwe and asked if he would be willing to donate the software to the Amiga community.  Not only did Mr. Vergauwe want to donate the software to the community but he also donated the source code (written in 68k assembly).  He was excited about what the community could do pushing the software forward.  He only asked that we share with him our efforts.

I have created a website which I am dedicating to sharing the Take 2 software and source codes as well as acting as a hub for those wanting to coordinate creating a knowledge base as well as coding projects to modify the builds.

I am doing a demo of this software at Amiwest in Sacramento in a few weeks and my plan is to go live with the website and release the software and source code at that time.

I believe I was speaking for the Amiga community when I thanked Mr. Vergauwe for his generosity and support for our wonderful Amiga.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: Take 2 Animation software gifted to the Amiga Community
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
Indeed, much thanks!  I am looking forward to trying this out.

Any estimate on when your site will be up?

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:11:18 AM »
I was planing on launching it on Saturday of Amiwest to add to the show fun :),  Oct. 17th.

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
Quote from: dschallock;796679
I was planing on launching it on Saturday of Amiwest to add to the show fun :),  Oct. 17th.

Great! Thanks!
:banana:
-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »
Nice gesture of Geert Vergauwe, and thanks for your efforts dschallock!

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:06:41 AM »
Take 2 is awesome!

Offline kamelito

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »
Quote from: dschallock;796679

Which language does it uses?

Kamelito

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;797488
Which language does it uses?

Kamelito

The program is written in assembler.  The author used Macro68 to compile.

Offline mechy

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:24:32 PM »
very cool. Please make sure this gets to aminet also.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:47:03 PM »
I've actually never heard of Take 2. Is there anywhere where we can get more info? I tried to do a search, but haven't been able to find anything that gives much detail about it.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 12:05:38 AM »
Ok folks. I'll. Post more later as I'm standing at Amiwest now but as promised here is the program and source code.  http://www.danschallock.com/amiga/take2/index.html

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »
Watched your presentation.

You did a very good job. Natural speaker. Very clear and presented the program in a way that even novices like me could follow.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 03:47:46 AM »
Very interesting and enjoyable presentation. It would make the basis for a great set of tutorial videos.

The code is an amazing job by Geert Vergauwe. There can't be many applications of that complexity written in pure assembler. I hope it gets further improvements.

Offline OldAmigan

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
Just found this thread.

That's really great from both the author and yourself

Offline kamelito

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »
Quote from: IanP;797588
Very interesting and enjoyable presentation. It would make the basis for a great set of tutorial videos.

The code is an amazing job by Geert Vergauwe. There can't be many applications of that complexity written in pure assembler. I hope it gets further improvements.

I suppose that the next step is to put it in a revision control system, then report bug and ask for features.

Kamelito