Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone drive a hybrid?  (Read 7042 times)

Description:

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
Re: Anyone drive a hybrid?
« on: October 27, 2006, 03:12:12 PM »
Don't you ride mules? =)

my wife has a pair...
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 03:23:30 PM »
Battery life is the issue.

Now how many here have any form of alternative energy source?

hydrogen fuel cells, or hydrogen internal combustion engines.
for storage, Sodium Borohydride looks promising:

NaBH4(s) + 2H20(l) -> NaBO2(s) + 4H2(g)

then feed the hydrogen into the fuel cell / cylinder.
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »

Karlos wrote:
One likely problem with that reaction is that it isn't easy to reverse. You'd end up with a lot of sodium borate (jagshemash!) that would be difficult to reprocess back into sodium borohydride. Ideally you don't want by products from you fuel cell other than water. Anything else is dead weight you are carrying around.

well, I only know about this from wikipedia you understand: I havent really looked into it much further than that.

Production of the borohydride in the first place requires a considerable amount of energy. Overall, it's cheaper to use liquified hydrogen. However, that's also extremely dangerous.

see, theres the tradeoff that needs to be made:
safety vs. efficiency vs storability.

you could also use methanol fuel cell, but you still need to remove the hydrogen to be able to use it in a fuel cell, and what to do with the carbon ?

besides, its all a question of where the energy conversion to electricity takes place: way off at some generator somewhere, or locally with an alternator linked to an engine ?

it is also worth bearing in mind the efficiency of electric motors compared with petrol: a good petrol engine in a car will get about 25% useful work out of the petrol.
a good electric motor will get 90-95% useful work from an electrical fuel source.
a hydrogen fuel cell will get about 80% of the available energy converted to electricity.

the thing about borax (sodium borate) is that it is solid, and could be taken away and recycled in bulk - probably at a service station type thing.

also, if one is forced to burn hydrocarbon fuels to produce the hydrogen/sodium borohydride, the powerplant will only be doing ONE THING, and can be made that much more efficient meaning less carbon is released, and potentially use biofuels instead of mineral fuel.

just a train of thought (geddit!), no structure whatsoever, apologies! I'm now gonna read the rest of the thread, suffice to say, I'd heard that Priuses (Prii ?) are still deceptively expensive to run...
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:28:04 PM »
That was the original implication

well *I* got it.

I see nobody got my mule joke...or are you all just ignoring it ? :-P
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
A Prius wouldn't serve my needs well

me neither - I currently drive a Laguna Estate. theres no WAY I could get me, my wife and three kids in a prius! (dont forget to include boosters for the two over-5's and a rear facing carseat for the babby...and room for the morrisons haul of course!!
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

GadgetMaster wrote:
Maybe this THIS

Would suit you better then.  :-)

YYYuck! that is one Pig-ugly motor!

The Koleo looks better, but its nearly a bl00dy 4x4...
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:41:45 PM »
@PMC: is that 2.5l V6 a petrol engine ? :-o
makes me feel way less guilty about my 1.8l straight-four !

although I doubt you'd be able to actually drive your Alfa to Washington - although you could drive it back about halfway ! ;-)

The ones that really p!ss me off are the Warriors/Navaras/Dodge Rams of this world. they just look like they're intended to be driven by b#stards with no concern for others. alleged safety being the main selling point - safety for the occupants is the only one I can see.
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Agafaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »
@Hyperspeed:
Once they do electric vehicles that perform like the bugatti Veyrons or Ferrari 355s of this world, Top Gear will start to cover them. besides, they have a point about the Lexus Hybrid 4x4 - its performance is actually worse than the equivalent non-hybrid, which kinda makes a mockery of the London congestion charge policy.

you do have a point about their knee-jerk reaction to environmentalists though - although anythings possible: even David Attenborough a noted climate change sceptic of yore has been convinced. hope for Clarkson and the boys yet ?

also, the stunts they pull are worth their weight in gold - take the one last week where James May and Richard Hammond had a Robin Reliant transformed into a Space Shuttle lookalike - absolutely priceless!
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB