Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A little rebuff to global warming  (Read 3953 times)

Description:

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
Re: A little rebuff to global warming
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 09:36:08 PM »
Actually as you well know, the sentence was supposed to say "the satellite data".  Thanks for playing again Fluffy.  As usual instead of a discussion on actual facts we you playing confuse the issue.  As for the GISS site, the data as well as your beloved IPCC report agrees that the majority of the temperature change in the 20th century occurred by the 1950s.   I'm using your source, your data, you can't explain the answer they are given with there data, so are throwing more data at it.

Make fun of the climatologists in the 70's for saying a new ice age is on the way by saying that climatologists today expect warming.

Not sure what your point is here, but you are missing at least part of it.  I am making fun of the same scientists who claimed the ice age was coming for claiming global warming was coming 25 years later.  I also think it funny that KennyR believes its right because thats what they teach him in school, completely disregarding that they taught new ice age in those very same schools years ago.

Make fun of the climatologists today for expecting warming by pointing to a 25 year cooling trend.

Again, not sure what this is about.  My issue is that the satellite data verified by balloon data do not show the trends in either the troposphere or stratosphere to support the current IPCC Global Warming theory.  A theory that predicted dire circumstances over 10 years ago and which by the time of the 3rd report had to revise its numbers down hugely (for the 2nd time) because the data of the last 10 years dont really support the theory.      
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2004, 09:52:53 PM »

Tigger wrote:
Actually as you well know, the sentence was supposed to say "the satellite data".  Thanks for playing again Fluffy.

You're welcome.

As for the GISS site, the data as well as your beloved IPCC report agrees that the majority of the temperature change in the 20th century occurred by the 1950s.   I'm using your source, your data, you can't explain the answer they are given with there data, so are throwing more data at it.

up .4 C from 1900 to 1950, another .5 C from 1950 to 2000 ?
Are you looking at the same graph I'm looking at?

Make fun of the climatologists in the 70's for saying a new ice age is on the way by saying that climatologists today expect warming.

Not sure what your point is here,

That's because you can't read two sentences in a row. Splitting the two up looses the point. Oh, but you really knew that, that's why you split them up in your reply.

I also think it funny that KennyR believes its right because thats what they teach him in school, completely disregarding that they taught new ice age in those very same schools years ago.

Back in the 50's the continents didn't move around.

My issue is that the satellite data verified by balloon data do not show the trends in either the troposphere or stratosphere to support the current IPCC Global Warming theory.  A theory that predicted dire circumstances over 10 years ago and which by the time of the 3rd report had to revise its numbers down hugely (for the 2nd time) because the data of the last 10 years dont really support the theory.      

Science gets revised. Perhaps you are confusing it with religion.

Anyway, the ground temperatures suggest warming. The atmospheric temperatures are all over the map suggesting increased movement, consistant with increased energy.

You complain that the model doesn't model the data well, and that's true, but that is no reason to revise the data.

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2004, 10:17:25 PM »

Tigger wrote:

Bobsonsirjonny wrote:

It was about Global Warming. She had to make a case for and against the Theory. While the Earth has warmed and cooled significantly over the last 10,000 years(for example Vines were often grown by monks in the middle ages in the most unlikely of places such as Northumbria) the greatest increase in temperature happened in the 1950's. We are polluting this planet - you cant dispute that - and the oil will run out.

I appreciate you proving my point Robert.  Over 70% of the temperature increase in the 20th century happened by 1954.  Most of the CO2 increase of the 20th century happened post 1954.   Do you now see that blaming the CO2 increase for the small temperature increase post 1954 and saying the big pre-1954 increase was a natural phenomena (ie what the IPCC consolidated report says) is bad science??  And you are right, about the last 10K years, grapes for wine were grown in parts of England which wont support them now (too cold), the Viking settlements in Greenland are now under ice, I'm pretty sure they didnt build them that way.  
    -Tig

Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that regardless of whether MAN MADE global warming is fact or fiction, the climate is changing. We are also polluting this planet - you cant dispute that, and in time the oil will run out - so we should start to look at alternatives ASAP. If the planet gets very cold in places, those places may need more energy - and where is it gonna come from. Its finite.
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline FadeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fade
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2004, 11:04:45 PM »
@ Bobsonsirjonny
"If the planet gets very cold in places, those places may need more energy - and where is it gonna come from."
------------------

It's harder to clean up, but coal!
If you\\\'re still voting Democrat, you\\\'re stuck on stupid!

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2004, 10:02:54 AM »

Fade wrote:
@ Bobsonsirjonny
"If the planet gets very cold in places, those places may need more energy - and where is it gonna come from."
------------------

It's harder to clean up, but coal!

.. which is finite.

Ok, so if we go down the coal route - and we in the UK have plenty of coal left sitting in the hills (particularly in south wales) we will have to start using the energy more efficiently. Also the cost of Coal may very well go through the roof. It wasn't the cheapest thing to extract in the firts place. I often think did they close the mines so that in the future they have access to all this lovely coal which will then be worth a fortune.

As for the clean up - you look at the south wales valleys 20 years ago and they were horrible dirty places. Now they have been allowed to turn back to their natural beauty. However, due to the lack of jobs now in these areas (mining was a major employer) the valleys have become full of greedy, scabby Charvers..

8 Bloody Tickets!

Some of my drawings

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

blobrana wrote:

OK, it should be widely accepted that humans have raised the global temperature (0.2 degrees this century), this is  a fact.

No, the temperature rising 0.2 degrees this century is a fact.   Stating it's because of humans is a guess.

(Anyways everyone knows it's because of the Sun!) ;-)

Anyway, if most of the worlds oil has already been burned, and it's only made a difference of 0.2, f*** it, the little oil we have left shouldn't be a problem, burn it all! :lol:
this space for rent

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2004, 03:44:12 PM »
0.2 in global terms is huge. 1% increase and thats a whole load of life and eco systems {bleep}ted.

We do have an impact on this planet. Its a FACT. Whether global warming is partly or entrely man made is still TBA - but we are chopping up the rain forests - the earths lungs. We are releasing untold amounts of {bleep} into the air. We are filling the place up with land fill. You wouldnt piss in your bath water before you wash..

8 Bloody Tickets!

Some of my drawings

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2004, 04:05:16 PM »
Sorry T_Bone, this decade's warming could be from CO2 we released in the 50s. The worse is yet to come, and the longer we keep flinging out CO2, the worse it will get.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2004, 05:05:21 PM »
Kill any keyboards lately? ;-)

Bobsonsirjonny wrote:
0.2 in global terms is huge. 1% increase and thats a whole load of life and eco systems {bleep}ted.

How is 0.02 on a Global scale huge? It is fact that the 20th century was not the hottest in the last 2,000 years. Asit was pointed out, it was MUCH hotter in the middle ages, much more than a 0.02 degree.

If that's the case and it was say a staggering 5 or so degrees hotter, wouldn't have all these doom and gloom predictions have already happened? Wouldn't we have never been born because the human race should no longer exist? The ice caps should be history, and North America should have long been under water. We'll that's not the case. American Indians, or Native Americans (whatever you prefer) have lived here for thousands of years. Right here in Florida there is at least 1200 years of history with mumified remains and historical artifacts. Florida is supposed to be the first under water, and it isn't.

I gotta call bullsh&t on the whole thing. It's scare tactics used by liberal politicians to control their sheep.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2004, 05:23:40 PM »
BTW, this subject is brought up because of a liberal propoganda film about global warming. That reminds me, there were liberal propoganda films in the ~70's about the next ice age. Anyone remember the names of these films? I'd just LOVE to watch them now :lol:

Offline KennyR

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2004, 06:11:33 PM »
And if you think Hollywood summer blockbuster movies can be any kind of serious propaganda, I understand better why you're a Republican, Red.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2004, 06:21:03 PM »
@KennyR

Let's see. Al Gore, the liberal democrat who was almost elected president in 2000 is touting it as science fact. The makers of the film say they made it "To raise awareness of global warming". etc etc. Go to the movies tomorrow and listen to people as they walk out.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2004, 07:50:17 PM »
:-?
I wonder if there's a hero, who saves the world, in the movie? Because if there's no happy end, I don't wanna see it.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline FadeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fade
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2004, 11:42:17 PM »
@ KennyR
"And if you think Hollywood summer blockbuster movies can be any kind of serious propaganda, I understand better why you're a Republican, Red."
-------------

Are you really going to ignore the perfect example of "the China Syndrome" movie that they have already used, and I previously pointed out to you.
If you\\\'re still voting Democrat, you\\\'re stuck on stupid!

Offline KennyR

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2004, 11:54:17 PM »
No Fade, but if you forgive me for saying so, the US was never a country where in general people had any great knowledge outside the movies. For instance, I guess now most Americans think it was Americans who captured the Enygma machine, that William Wallace spoke English and did it all for a woman called Murren, or that cowboys were all white men who had draw gunfights a lot.

It may suck, but politicians know how to tap into popular myths. That's why they're politicians. Look at Bush - he managed to capitalise on the misconception that the 9/11 attack was somehow linked to Saddam.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 28, 2004, 12:05:04 AM »

Fade wrote:
@ KennyR
"And if you think Hollywood summer blockbuster movies can be any kind of serious propaganda, I understand better why you're a Republican, Red."
-------------

Are you really going to ignore the perfect example of "the China Syndrome" movie that they have already used, and I previously pointed out to you.

And was pointed out to you by the article you posted.