Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HP makes Commodore seem like the pinnacle of management excellence  (Read 3230 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

I'm also a webOS user, and this story has been doing the rounds at the webOS forums. What a mess! Fascinating read, though.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/08/500-hp-apotheker/

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: HP makes Commodore seem like the pinnacle of management excellence
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:08 AM »
Wow. Explains a whole lot...

Fun observation: the PC market that's totally dying, which was absolutely proven by HP's decision to leave it, which they didn't actually do, made up the majority of HP's revenue (39.6%) even in their lackluster 2011 business year. (Servers for all that cloud stuff that's totally going to replace PCs, as conclusively proven by the aforementioned retracted decision, made up slightly over half that.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:16:58 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
I don't think the PC market is dying, per se, but it's definitely changing - shrinking - as a result of the tablet wars. Power users, gamers, and businesses will always need desktops or desktop equivalents, so the HPs of the world need to adapt to the fact that low-end users are moving to tablets. Smarter product lines will help on that front. In a way, the market is sort of returning to the kind of userbase we had in the mid 90s. Bailing on the market entirely - for now - I think was the wrong move, and apparently so did HPs investors.

I think Whitman is doing a pretty good job cleaning up the mess over there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good future for webOS.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
Despite the turmoil in management, HPs PC-Team has created the Z1 which looks like a really competative all-in-one design. When I was shopping for a notebook three years ago I was shocked about the low quality materials and strange aesthetics of HPs offerings, but judging from the Z1 ad this has changed. But of course that`s just two small observations. Your experiences might be different.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:08:17 AM »
This month doesn't have an "r" in it, so that means HP isn't making PCs....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline tone007

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
I've had nothing but problems with HP computers (laptops, at least, poor designs that run too hot and desolder chips from the board) and also attempting to purchase from them proved to be a ridiculous experience when they processed my order incorrectly (overcharged) and were unable to correct it, leading me to cancel the order entirely.

The HP TouchPad I got for free does make a nice Android tablet, though.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »
I've owned HP products all my life from calculators, printers, & laptops. All never gave me one problem so I was very happy when they bought Palm as, much like HP, I've been s long time palm user since the original palm pilot days.

I must say that HP's mismanagement of the acquisition of palm has been the worst tech debacle I have ever seen! WebOS is by far the best mobile operating system that only lacked quality hardware and HP didn't even give it a fair chance before canceling it straight out :-(
I have a TouchPad at home and was dying to get the Pre3 smartphone but it never got released at all ??? Huh..what marketing genius makes makes millions of a product and doesn't even bother bring them to market :pissed:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
I have bought HP PC's both for work and home for many years.  I have never been disappointed.  I never keep the OS that is pre-installed.  This PC I am using now came with Windows Vista.  I am running Fedora 16 as my main OS, with Win XP, Win 7, and Commodore OS Vision in VirtualBox.  I can mount all of my multi-card readers in all OS's, and use XP and WinUAE to do work to the CF drive for my A2000.  All of the hardware in my HP PC is compatible with all.  I really like their products.

Jeff