Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My idea for a new computer: Part 1 inside the case  (Read 4998 times)

Description:

Offline Bif

• Show all replies
Re: My idea for a new computer: Part 1 inside the case
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:43:21 AM »
Quote from: Kalvan;672406
Hibana Computers Series 1:

CPU: Custom 1-8 core design based on the MIPS Prodigy Core IP; Includes full main MIPS 32 and MIPS 64 CPU Instruction Sets, plus MIPS Parallel instuction extensions. As Each core is capable of four threads each with 4 64 bit integer or 96 bit floating point instructions (aside from long division, and a few other corner cases) every clock cycle, that means 40,000 MIPS Per Core@2.5 GHz on Global Foundries 28nm High Performance Process

Did you get the 40,000 MIPS per core from MIPS? Because if you are calculating it by yourself I think you may be making a gross error. Hardware threads do not equal CPU cores (that's why they are threads, not cores). Each thread will have its own set of registers but otherwise typically has to share most of the other functions of the processor (like integer and floating point units). So only one thread at a time can be running an FPU computation per cycle. So your MIPS is more like 10,000 per core.

The main reason CPUs started offering HW threads is to mask increasingly long memory latencies as memory hasn't kept up with CPU speed. While one thread is waiting 500 clock cycles on a load dependency, one of the other threads can be using the FPU if they have finished loaded their data. So HW threads are just there to get better utilization of the existing CPU, not multiply performance linearly.

I would be really surprised if MIPS or anyone has some magical core that will dust X64 without costing heaps more.

Anyway, this was a fun read but mostly because it's fairly ludicrous on all sorts of levels to build something like this and expect people to buy it by the time you are done. Don't let me stop you from trying though :).