Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.4 for Mac Mini Released  (Read 34323 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: MorphOS 2.4 for Mac Mini Released
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »
Thats great news for Morph but I hope they also go intel. This will be a lifeboat to keep them afloat for a little longer, but they need more hardware to survive.

Watch now the prices of mac mini's on ebay will skyrocket I bet!

Steven

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:19 PM »
No other Apple hardware than Mini will load MorphOS by chance with this release. AFAIK during Boot the hardware version is checked, if it is not a Mini, boot gets abandoned.

Offline tone007

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;525762
The 1.25GHz eMac does appear to have a supported ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card though, so maybe someone can test an installation of MorphOS2.4 on one of those and report back their results.

I've got one of these in the kitchen, might be worth a shot (even given the post right before mine.)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;525811
No other Apple hardware than Mini will load MorphOS by chance with this release. AFAIK during Boot the hardware version is checked, if it is not a Mini, boot gets abandoned.

Yeah, I don't really get why it's so difficult for people to understand that this release is for Mac Mini? :-?

Of course, nothing wrong with a healthy hack&try attitude (it *could* work ;-)), but when it says "This release is for Mac Mini" I think it's fair to expect that:
1. It works on all Mac Minis.
2. It doesn't work on other Mac's than the Minis.

Anyways, congratulations to the MorphOS team for this release (and to every Amiga NG enthusiast that wants the cheapest and most powerful Amiga ever!)

:-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
I think people don't realise how much Macs differ from one another, each change in form makes a change in hardware.  There were at least three video card companies in use in Macs, ATI, NVidea and Radeon.  Mac Minis were Radeon.  If you plug a Radeon card into another Mac the graphics might work but what about the rest of the hardware.?  Best to stay with Mac Minis, there's still far more of them than there are SAM boards and at a far better price.  I just have to be patient and wait for the weekend, my Mac Minis in his house and he's not that close that I can just run over in the evening...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
@spihunter, let me know how it goes, if it's cool I may jump on this train.
PS - saw your shows coming up, will try to make - again!
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
@ persia

I think you are absolutely right about not underestimating the differences of various Mac HW.

But who manufactured the Radeon again? ;-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
Nice...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 08:20:41 PM »
He I'm gonna stop kvetching for a while, this is really the best news we've had in a long time, I just wish I would have kept my Mac Mini closer to home...  Ah well, fun for the weekend...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 08:59:11 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;525806
Watch now the prices of mac mini's on ebay will skyrocket I bet!

... and watch them sink like rocks when the next version is announced with support for eMacs and IBooks. Besides, you probably subestimate the number of Amiga fans that moved to the mac camp years ago, I bet many have a spare mac mini collecting some dust somewhere in their house.

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
Well, at last... I've never abandoned my trusty Amiga 1200, but now I've got a new Amiga OS for my hardware.

I have been waiting since 2005 for this to happen: I got my Mac Mini G4 when it was about to be abandoned by apple in favor of the Intel one, only dreaming of the rumors of Amiga OS in this machine.

Now, I can go back home: Amiga OS (what I experienced of MorphOS in the past was perfect Amiga for me) as my main home OS.

I'm registering without any kind of doubt. It has been written in stone :D

Congratulations, MOS team! (and specially Piru, who honors us with his presence and participation ins this forum)

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 11:08:16 PM »
This news doesn't really make me happy.
I traded my G4 mac mini for a mountain bike this past spring, and the bike got stolen within a month.

I hope they do a G3 release at some point.  I find G3 iMacs on the curb on a weekly basis, and they have ATI GPUs.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;525834
Yeah, I don't really get why it's so difficult for people to understand that this release is for Mac Mini? :-?

Of course, nothing wrong with a healthy hack&try attitude (it *could* work ;-)), but when it says "This release is for Mac Mini" I think it's fair to expect that:
1. It works on all Mac Minis.
2. It doesn't work on other Mac's than the Minis.

Hence my previous use of the adverb "serendipitously" :)

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;525887
I hope they do a G3 release at some point.  I find G3 iMacs on the curb on a weekly basis, and they have ATI GPUs.

I am not a spokeperson for the MorphOS develpopment team, but IMO adding support G3 hardware would be detrimental for MorphOS since many people will find it's performance lacking and would blame MorphOS when the truth is that there is a limit of what you can do with old hardware.

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »
Well, this is awesome news! ABsolutely great work MorphOS team!

Already got a Peg II to run MOS 2.4 on, however I'd love to have a dedicated machine for each OS... time to look for a MacMini!

Cheers
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline Tron2k2

• Show only replies by Tron2k2
    • http://www.pbronline.us
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 14, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »
G3 iMacs had an ATI GPU, but it was a 16MB graphics unit, or worse, an 8MB one, so no go for MorphOS, unfortunately.  IIRC a Rage 128, some with DVD hardware decoder option.

Congratulations to the MorphOS team for, once again, actually releasing a product that they said they would, and in a timely fashion at that!!

However G4 iBook should be very close in hardware spec to a mini, since the Mini was in fact a laptop chipset crammed into that tiny case, and it did borrow heavily from their (cheaper) iBook G4 line, versus the faster Powerbook chipsets.  So in terms of hardware, the G4 macbook and mac Mini should be very similar indeed.  My trusty G3 Wall Street Powerbook needs upgrade, I'd pop for a G4 iBook regardless, but MorphOS would be tasty indeed on a laptop :-)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:35:39 AM by Tron2k2 »