Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scaphoid Fractures  (Read 7099 times)

Description:

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
Re: Scaphoid Fractures
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:34:13 AM »
I wish doctors would use the MRI scanners more. I'm not totally at one with the idea of sitting in front of a machine whilst everyone else runs for cover behind leaded glass with bullet proof vests on.

:-D

Ionising radiation is not good in any dose in my opinion.

Quick thinking with the mobile phone picture though!

:laughing:

Just count yourself lucky they didn't stick those heart rate monitor suckers onto you. They glued mine on with super glue and I nearly tore a nipple!

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 01:32:23 AM »
I was told that the magnet weighs 7 tonnes in an MRI scanner and that people have been killed by coins flying out of their pocket, attracted to the field.

I suppose if you had a pacemaker, artificial hip etc. you'd also be in trouble.

Do you remember in the X-Men film where Magneto escapes by sucking the iron out of the guard's blood to form bullet-like globules which shattered the glass on his prison cell?

Well under an MRI scanner, aren't the atoms/molecules of iron in some way attracted to a 7 tonne electromagnet?

And what about ultrasound and the unborn... I've heard from radiographers that it's completely safe, and yet there are dissenting voices in the scientific world that they could be very dangerous to the foetus!

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:46:01 AM »
Have you considered acupuncture?

From what I can gather it's the physical equivalent to a paracetamol!

Apparently after a few sessions the pain is short circuited so it might be worth considering - the continued use of Ibuprofen has recently been linked to unpleasantries and I'm not at all convinced by this aspirin wonder-drug craze.

Alternative medecine seems to have many mysteries, they even sell copper wrist bands in high street chemists and now elasticated supports with built in magnets.

To get really far out you might want to douse the place to see where the lay lines are. As I've mentioned on another thread, laylines can reduce the body's ability to heal and even submarine builders are clued up on this science.

A sports physiotherapist might be able to help if you're in agony.

Sometimes small doses of steroids can speed up recovery but I don't think they should be used in great quantities or for long periods of time.

Also worth considering (I'm not a doctor) but if muscle is damaged then nuts and soya might help, cartillage may be aided by omega oils and glucosamine and bone with calcium chews.

I wonder also in this hot weather if keeping the painful area cool might be beneficial - any ideas if cold is better than hot for healing?

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:26:47 AM »
cheeky little inferior pubic ramus... wasn't he an Egyptian pharaoh?

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 04:15:29 AM »
The only pain I associate with 'labour' is the pain in the arse that is the Labour government of Tony Bliar.

Hey I just had a weird thought... if the cocyx is a remnant of our primate past then would it be possible in the future for gene therapy to give humans a handy tail?

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:05:38 AM »

How nice it would be to have a tail.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:41:42 PM »
When I upgrade to AmigaOS 4 I want the installer to set up Prefs/Locale with the phrase "ARE YOU LOCAL!?"...

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 12:47:16 AM »
Pelvis has left the building!

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »
Zinc is also good for virility!

EDIT:
by Speelgoedmannetje:
That was ofcourse not completely raw fish ;-P

(well, 'raw' herring is sterilized by being frozen first. So you won't get sick of it)

I don't think you can sterilise something by freezing it. Bacteria have a nasty habit of re-animating unless boiled, burnt or smoked.

Liquid nitrogen maybe, but really it would be best to steam it and let it chill.

As for the arm healing, I wonder if a hydrocortisone could be prescribed or a titanium-dioxide mixed steroid cream such as mometasone furoate (Elocon)?

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 10:31:07 PM »
In that case you need Log.

What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 12:21:27 AM »
Steroid cream is only reccomended for small areas and not for open cuts. It will accelerate healing like some sort of mystical potion - often overnight. The side affect though usually involves horrendous nightmares and the resulting disorientation the next day.

Vitamin C (citrus fruit) might also be a good supplement as it was given to sailors who had scurvy! It also assists in the absorbtion of iron and, bizarrely, the effects of a hangover!

:-D