Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scaphoid Fractures  (Read 7022 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Scaphoid Fractures
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
I used my phone's camera to get a shot of the first xray on the ligt panel whilst the doc was out of the office.

I edited this images contrast for clarity. This was before some brief but very eye-watering prodding and massaging which put the fragments much closer than they were to start with (a second x-ray showed the bones back in a much better position).

The possibility of non union was mentioned, as was avascular necrosis. I have another x-ray due on the 7th...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:13:46 PM »
Cheers. Drilling doesnae sound fun, at least in this context...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »
Wrong hand ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Karlos wrote:
Wrong hand ;-)

Clearly... You should stick to using your regular hand if this is the trouble it causes...

:-D

But I cannae afford yer new rates... :-P

*ducks*
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 09:15:59 PM »

bloodline wrote:

I offer a full range of credit options ;-)

kinky...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »

X-ray wrote:
Good luck old bean, hopefully you won't have to be drilled.

I had the followup (5th, not the 7th, almost missed it :lol:). Theres no improvement yet but no deteriation either.

I now have a stylish black resin based gauntlet cast that looks more like a chunk of exoskeleton than a cast. I have to wear it for 5 weeks before the next checkup :-(

Once it set, seeing the rock hard, black fabric I could only think of bloodline's sock :lol:

int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »

Aaaaaarrrgggghhhhh! Cut it out! Cut it out!

*attacks left hand with machete*
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 02:56:22 PM »
Well, taking cocodamol at work shut the mouthy litle bugger up. Unfortunately it also seems to severely degrade my attention span. Not at all good, given the amount of work I have to do there atm.

This brings me on to a wee rant. When I went for the followup appointment, there was a somewhat lardy woman there just ahead of me in the queue to check in. Her arm wasn't bandaged or plastered, but it turns out she had 7 weeks off work with her "broken scaphoid" so far.

She ended up in the examination room opposite mine later and I coudn't help overhearing the doc explaining that her x-rays showed no evidence of a break or fracture, despite her protests. She equally protested at having her arm plastered - on the grounds it was too itchy - or having a special splint put on. Of course he couln't force her to take his advice.

She claimed she needed both her hands in her job and was clearly milking the excuse to stay off for all it was worth just to get a new sick note. Her time wasting delayed my own appointment by an hour :-x

As a developer, I also need both my hands and aside from going to A&E and the followup appointment I had no time off at all - I have worked late almost every day since doing it and have to wear an "unbareably itchy" cast for the next 5 weeks.

I felt like tripping her up on the way out so she'd break it properly, the lazy fat witch :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »

X-ray wrote:
Even so, this guy wanted the doctors to leave those patients and come and see to him right away.
 :roll:

I more or less had to be told to go to A&E by my colleagues after 2 days of struggling to code and getting lances of pain from my wrist every time I pressed an awkward set of qualifier keys :lol:.

I was sure it was just a sprain and actually felt a fraud sitting there in A&E. After I found out I'd broken it clean in two I felt a bit embarrassed...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

Doobrey wrote:

Doesn't cocodamol also 'block you up' so to speak ?
At least it did to me when I was on them for a slipped disc :oops:
I chucked them in the end cos they didn't do a damn thing.

Hard to tell just now, the test conditions were skewed by a large dose of curry last night at least...

To be fair, I find they do the trick with the wrist, but on the downside they seem to be a bit harsh on the old higher order brain function. At work it seems I have the choice of an absence of distracting pain or an absence of wits :lol: Hence I am using them as sparingly as possible.

So what happened, did you lose your rag with an X-Serve at work?

Well, at least there are no macs at the new place :-D

It's a long story...

Basically, rush-hour-monday-morning-sans-breakfast happened. I got off the bus at piccadilly gardens, hungry ans having just missed a tram to where I work. I had about 5 mins until the next one, so I ran round the corner to get something for breakfast before the next tram.

Not quite sure how, but I tripped at at the end of a road crossing. Lucky it was there and not at the start, or they'd have been hosing what was left of me from under the wheel arch of a bus that I was actually running to avoid.

Anyway, it was one of those deeply embarrassing stumbling forward slow motion falls :lol:... Just as I was about to recover my balance, my shoulder bag swung round, laden with 2 heavy books and pitched me over. Despite my best effort to twist sideways and brace the shoulder, I managed to land on an outstretched hand, stopping my entire momentum dead on the bottom of my left palm (where it joins the wrist), embedding nice sharp bits of gravel, broken glass and general filth in there. No doubt to the amusement of countless onlookers ;-)

More embarrased than in pain at this point I fled the scene of the crime and continued my mission to get breakfast then the tram.
On the tram, I was holding the overhead grab bar with my injured hand thinking "hmm, bit of a twinge there..."

Got to work, cleaned out the cuts and grazes and got on with it. By monday afternoon my wrist was quite stiff and painful so went to see the seceratary's office where there was supposed to be all the first aid stuff. Amusingly, the first thing I was asked was if I'd filled in the accident report paperwork. I'd hate to go there with a life threatening injury :lol: I pointed out I just had a sprained wrist and was after a support bandage. Which I got, but everybody seemed to vanish when the sec asked who was qualified to put it on :roll:

Got back to the developer offices with my still-in-the-package bandage and one of my colleagues put it on. Worked the rest of the day, went home and it throbbed all night...

Tuesday morning and the tram was *absolutely* packed. I found myself stood behind a woman, now using my good hand to hold the bar ;-) The tram lurched forwards and she stumbled backwards, trapping my injured hand momentarily between her erse and the back corner of one of the chairs - right at the wrist. There was a short pulse of white hot pain and I involutarily exulted a lengthy string of expletives into her ear at near point blank range. Poor woman, it was hardly her fault...

No ordinary top-of-your-voice yell was this, it was amplified to a point I never knew the human voice could achieve. She just wilted before me in the backwash of anguished rage I must have emitted. Everybody else that was packed into the vicinity seemed to be trying to create a space too, alarm and fear on almost every face I saw as I glanced around wishing the ground would just swallow me at this point :-/

I then humbly apologised to her and showed her the bandaged wrist she'd just accidently squashed and assured her it wasn't her fault or anything.

Come 4:30pm, I was in a not insignificant amount of discomfort and heeded the advice of my colleagues to get it checked out.

BTW, don't suppose you've tried fixing your scaphoid with Brocolli   ;-)

My local technogreengrosser was fresh out of the andean nanomeric cellular quick-knit variety. He's expecting more in next tuesday.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »
I got logged out twice in the time it took to write that :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
@Vincent

One of those ... last six months?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 06:26:54 PM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
Ionising radiation is not good in any dose in my opinion.

Natural daylight is capable of ionizing plenty of materials...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 09:07:54 PM »

bloodline wrote:
Yeah I've seen a frog (among other things) in a high tesla magnet while studying para and diamagnetics... The frog was tiny though, hardly bigger than your little finger nail.

Liquid oxygen... Paramagnetic, (very) pale blue and great to throw on burning stuff :-D
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »
Can anybody reccomend any (preferably legal :lol:) analgesics that actually eliminate the constant nagging background ache from this type of injury that don't leave you with a complete mentallic void?
int p; // A