Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stuck pixels or something else?  (Read 1007 times)

Description:

Offline JetFireDXTopic starter

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
Stuck pixels or something else?
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:29:36 AM »
Hey guys LCD question for my favorite forum out there...

I have a 1 and a half year old Apple 20 in LCD display. Has been working wonderful until last night. I recently moved and where my computer is now I have to sit in the dark to use it while my gf sleeps. To my horror I noticed I had 15 tiny, very tiny red or green spots around the monitor. I only saw them because I was doing a some work changing things around on my Mac and my desktop was just set to a flat black background.

Now, I have seen stuck and dead pixels before on a friends PSP and a few other abused LCDs at work. These though look smaller. I got out the magnifying glass and took a closer look and they are about 1/5 to 1/3 the over all height of a pixel, like just a small amount of the color element has gotten stuck. I've not read anything about the size of them being of any concern before.

Now it's not all bad, in any light you can't see the dots at all. But in the dark on a black scren, its like there are a few very tiny dim stars on my screen. (None blue though.)

So, question is - Stuck pixels or manufacturing flaw I didn't notice until now? I tried all the remedies, changing the color rapidly with tools, gently rubbing the area, apply slight pressure before powering on and let off once its on. No dice. Until trying those things I didn't dream of intentionally touching my screen. (I baby the hell outta it since I bought it before Apple did their first price drop by about 2 months.) About 6 months ago I got a KVM switch to use it with my PC as well. Anybody heard anything of DVI switches damaging LCDs? (I don't think there is, but you never know.)

Thanks for your input!

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Stuck pixels or something else?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:11:52 AM »
AFAIK, stuck pixels are manufacturing errors only. You cannot damage your monitor in such a way.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'