Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Russia to build a mine on the moon  (Read 4715 times)

Description:

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Russia to build a mine on the moon
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »
oh for F*ck's sake people ! whent did C.o.c.k.p.i.t. (the place where pilots and astronauts sit)

Hum,
no need to swear :rtfm:

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »
Can we agree on a substitute word / phrase?  Male Chicken Trench?
Cecilia for President

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 05:10:01 PM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
I'm not disputing we have placed things into orbit or sent probes around the solar system. I'm not disputing Hubble (even though the images are touched up with those colours) and maybe I am mixing anti-war with anti-science.

The images arent touched up, if you want to understand color and Hubble, you need to read about it, I'm not teaching color and Hubble today.

However there are a number of scientists that have made it vocal that the radiation levels on the moon would be too high, as would venturing too far from near Earth orbit. They say that for a week long journey back in '69 it would have killed the astronauts and THAT is why Russia never made it.

Name a scientist today that says that, none do, we watch TV from satellites all that went through what 1940 scientists thought was metal destroying radiation.    

What happened to Laika, and that monkey?

Oxygen deprivation for Laika, Lots of monkeys flew in space, the first two to survive landing were Able and Baker in 1959, Baker lived to the age of 27, dying in 1984, both he and Able are buried here in Huntsville on the grounds of the Space and Rocket center.  You do understand that the Space Station (which I see fly over every few days) is higher then most of these early monkey flights that you think were killed by radiation apparently.   I personally can verify the height of the space station and the shuttle when its up (or the russian resupply rocket) so I too am part of this huge conspiracy about space apparently.  If you were talkinga about Chimps, the US sent two to space, Ham the Astrochimp who went into space in 1961, lived in the national zoo for years (I even fed him a banana there once) eventually passing away in 83, 22 years after rocketing into space.

If man did land on the moon then I'm sure we've been given a much glossier image of it than we should have. Such a feat would have incurred much higher casualties and would have taken a lot more time and money than a single economy could have coped with.

First of all how did they cover up the casualties in your mind.  I mean I can watch the launches from Kennedy from my parents house, as can millions of others living in Florida, its pretty hard to sneak launch a rocket in the US.   So rocket goes up, we know whos on it, we watch film from the rocket we watch as they get out of the rocket, we see interviews with them later, how exactly do you cover up the casualties.  Everyone knew when we lost Apollo 1, everyone knew we lost Challenger, everyone knew we lost Columbia, big secrets are hard to keep in the US.  

Anyway, I'm sceptical and not totally against the moon landings - but like the holocaust, which many are now questioning,

Holocaust happened, period, end of discussion.   Moon Landing happened, period, end of discussion.  With knowledge like you have the Flat Earth Society might be a good website for you to hang out on.
     -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »
Noooooo!  I didn't realise that Ham passed away in 1983???

Still, his exploits in space must have earned enough pension to keep the guy comfortable during his retirement years.  

Anyone know what the banana / dollar exchange rate is?

:banana:
Cecilia for President

Offline Tigger

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 05:51:38 PM »

PMC wrote:
Noooooo!  I didn't realise that Ham passed away in 1983???

Still, his exploits in space must have earned enough pension to keep the guy comfortable during his retirement years.  

:banana:

Ham was very well cared for at the National Zoo, and when I went and fed him was considered one of the three big draws at the zoo, the others being the original Panda Bears we had then and the 2 White Bengals.   When he got older, he went to basically a senior citizen home for apes in NC, where he was pampered even more.  He's buried in New Mexico at the Space Museum there with the other space chimp.  
      -Tig

Offline Tigger

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
would have taken a lot more time and money than a single economy could have coped with.

The US built over 3000 nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles during the 50's, 60's and 70's.   Yet you think that our economy would be bankrupt building the less then 20 Saturn V rockets we used as part of the Apollo program???   How does that make sense??
     -Tig

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2006, 09:26:35 PM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
... I'm not disputing Hubble (even though the images are touched up with those colours)...
:roflmao:
that's GOT to be one of the funniest comments ever made.
here: Hubble colors is a nice simple explaination of how they get Hubble images.
unless, like bush, you really can't read.

i'm giving a test at the end of the week  :-)
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »
Oh God, it's Groundhog Day.

I'm going to wake up every morning at 8am and see my posts on this thread dismembered...

Okay guys I'm going to break with the tradition and admit you were right and I was wrong. My hypothesis was strewn with poor logic, erroneus data, irritability and envy for a superior space program. Oh, and a subscription to Sky TV's babbling cynics society.

I myself have gone through a civilian session of astronaut training at the ESA headquarters in Brussels as a wee man and it didn't leave me terribly convinced - it was just a Euro-fetish shop in my opinion. The only way to convince the general public will be Spaceship One.

Now I'm going to lick my wounds, leave me be you cretins.

Oh yeah, and blobrana is cute.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 10:11:16 AM »
Hyperspeed wrote:
Now I'm going to lick my wounds, leave me be you cretins.

As you wish...
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline USA4Life

• Show only replies by USA4Life
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »
It would make sense to split the rights of the moon up between all who can get there. Sort of like Antarctica.

Offline Tigger

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »

USA4Life wrote:
It would make sense to split the rights of the moon up between all who can get there. Sort of like Antarctica.

Actually its funny your brought that up.  The US (and the UN) say that antarctica is the property of the world.  Japan, several EU nations and the Russians have instead claimed portions as there own.   These same nations are very adamant that the US can't claim portions of the moon even though our astronauts are the only ones that have landed there.
    -Tig

Offline JLF65

• Show only replies by JLF65
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2006, 03:23:16 AM »
In the end, like here on Earth, the moon will belong to whomever can hold it through force of arms.

I find it funny that they still teach that gravity directly causes fusion in the sun. Long before gravity can squish two protons together, hydrogen will be torn into it's basic components: protons and electrons. This occurs at a rather low energy state (relatively speaking).

Once that occurs, you now have the fact that protons are more than 1800 times the weight of electrons, so gravity causes the electrons and protons to separate. This results in HUGE electric fields inside the sun. It's these incredible electric fields that cause fusion to occur.

Instead of trying to make high-density plasmas, they should have been working on electric fusion devices, like the Farnsworth–Hirsch Fusor.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »

Cymric wrote:
As far as I know, there is a treaty in place (sort-of similar to the Law of the Sea) which states that anything beyond x km of Earth's surface belongs to everyone, and thus the UN. (See here, for example.) But knowing human nature, it won't be for long until someone decides that those damn are mining too much He-3 or ice, causing all hell to break loose. Some right-wingers in the United States already consider the Moon to belong to them, because they were the first to set foot on it. A sort-of finders-keepers mentality which sickens me to my stomach. To the wall with the lot of them. I also have no doubt that eventually the Moon will become an independent nation simply because any other situation will be met with disapproval, jealousy and military conflict. (Besides, it is sort-of impossible to genuinely consider people 400.000 km away to be your masters. As in: who and what army?)

I can heartily recommend Ben Bova's excellent SF series Moonrise and Moonwar for a brilliant story based on precisely this situation.

Ultimately, anyones oppinions or rules about who gets to own what in space are meaningless. If russia wants to build something on the moon, they will pick a spot and it will be theirs. The us will pick a spot, etc. It will be a good 200 years before there is enough people and stuff up there for it to matter.

Offline nadoom

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2006, 04:47:41 PM »
they may want to build a mine on the moon, however i doubt they have a big enough engine to do so, launching sats in to Low earth orbit, is a whole lot different to putting a massive amount of tonnage on the moon. The russians answer to the apollo saturn rocket the N-1 crashed and burned many times within 2 minutes. That was the late 60's though.
?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline hppacito

• Show only replies by hppacito
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2006, 07:56:01 PM »
In the end, like here on Earth, the moon will belong to whomever can hold it through force of arms.

Maybe not. Maybe when that time comes, we already dropped the borders and became just humanity, just one country. (If of course we are not force in the quite possible 1984 "future" as many politicians/companies seem to want)

btw. I also don't believe they put a foot on the moon. Why they where unable recently ?.

On the other hand with the dispersion a laser has, how is that something arrives to the moon and comes back ?, maybe that mirror arry is really big :-? (I didn't look for it) Maybe someone knows...  :-?  :-?
2x A500 1MB ;-)
1x A600
3x PCs
1x Gf  :crazy:

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 20, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
hppacito: You're entering risky territory here...

:-D :-D :-D

I tried the moon conspiracy theory and was mauled to within an inch of my life!

On the subject of laser reflection however, I watched some guy in the supermarket scanning barcodes and wondered how exactly does the laser 'read'?

Is there a seperate diode in there with 'read' in mind, angled so as to receive the reflected beam out of the main laser... or does the laser pulse (send-receive-send-receive)?

:-)