Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Russia to build a mine on the moon  (Read 4720 times)

Description:

Re: Russia to build a mine on the moon
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 12:00:15 PM »
I notice you and history have a big schism in reality

Since when have racism and ignorance ever got in the way of a paranoid delusion Tig? ;-)

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »
As for these new Fusion reactors, the first of which is to be built in France soon, has anyone stopped to consider that when Fission was first invented the first use killed 300,000 people? That may have been a mis-use but what happens with Fusion if you get a Chernobyl?

You're a bit out of line with historical details. Fusion has already been turned into a weapon: these are the infamous hydrogen bombs, next to which a fission bomb (U- or Pu-based) is a toy. It is a fusion bomb which holds the world record for the largest man-made explosion ever of 58 megatonnes of TNT. Not even that little mountain incident in North Korea a year or two back comes close.

Then you need to refresh your physics. Fusion is incredibly hard to achieve in low g-environments because we cannot create a sufficiently dense plasma for fusion reactions to take place at a productive rate. The only option you have is very delicate tuning of magnetic fields and very, very high temperatures in excess of 100 million degrees Celsius. If there is but a single leak in the magnetic cage or the enclosing hull, the fusion process stops immediately. Of course, there will be an explosion, but this is simply because of a short-circuit---not because of a runaway nuclear reaction. There is an additional risk of the release of a tiny amount of high-energy neutrons, and thus of casualties, but they won't have such lasting consequences as when a fission plant blows.

The fact that the Sun manages it at ridiculously low temperatures of 15 million degrees and less is because of its much higher self-gravity. That forces the density of the hydrogen plasma up to values we would die for here on Earth. Where's a bloody gravity-generator when you need one...
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 04:44:14 PM »
Space flight maybe be simpler than flight on Earth but that lunar module still had to contend with lunar gravity, landing and launching trajectories and docking, varying landing and launching weights and filming for the camera left on the moon. I don't understand how they managed such a feat 30yrs ago on the processing power of a calculator.
because this "feat" wasn't done using a calculator. it was done using many talented human minds working at full capacity. THAT'S why it was and still is the most amazing thing homo sapians have ever done.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »

cecilia wrote:
because this "feat" wasn't done using a calculator. it was done using many talented human minds working at full capacity. THAT'S why it was and still is the most amazing thing homo sapians have ever done.

Amen!

Putting a man on the moon ranks as humanity's greatest ever achievement.  Although the motives were political and some of the personnel involved in the space race had very shady backgrounds, the end result was beyond question.  

Those twelve men were sent there represented the noble human desires to explore and to gain knowledge.  
Cecilia for President

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »
Back you dogs, back I say!

*CRACK*

Tigger: It may have been Orson Welles's voice but H.G.Wells wrote it. Orson Welles also did the Transformers movie, quite a fall from grace - first he announces the world is going to end, then "Autobots Transform!".

1938/1950s - Okay I got the dates wrong, half the US population was gullible 12 years earlier than I stated.

27,000 couldn't be wrong about the moon landings? There are 2 million employees of the Pentagon - fat load of good that did the truth when it came to Iraq!

Cymric: I'm out on my history? It was a Soviet 100-Megaton bomb that topped the yield tables. The shockwave blew villagers off their bicycles 50 miles from the test site.

As for Fusion bomb - I concede my knowledge of weapons of mass destruction is out of date (A bit like the CIA's) but the device is still AKA Fission-Fusion-Fission.

mdma: I'd like to slap you for my linching... but you're buddhist.

Alas, I still don't believe man has landed on the moon. Troll away learne'd ones, I'm going to burn an effigy of Neil Armstrong.

:-)

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 02:08:02 AM »
Hum,
As a quirk of fate, i noticed that 40 years ago, on February 3rd 1966, Luna 9 Landed on the Moon (1st Moon Landing)...

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 02:18:50 AM »
Alas, I still don't believe man has landed on the moon.
so how did all that "junk" get up there???
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 03:38:13 AM »
I'm not disputing we have placed things into orbit or sent probes around the solar system. I'm not disputing Hubble (even though the images are touched up with those colours) and maybe I am mixing anti-war with anti-science.

However there are a number of scientists that have made it vocal that the radiation levels on the moon would be too high, as would venturing too far from near Earth orbit. They say that for a week long journey back in '69 it would have killed the astronauts and THAT is why Russia never made it. What happened to Laika, and that monkey?

I've never been into conspiracy theories but I've read somewhere that the only solution to this problem of man(/woman) exploring deeper space is to somehow constantly regenerate the nerve tissue that is damaged by over-exposure to radiation (remember how instant this was in that film about Los Alamos?).

Interesting then that over the last few years medical science has 'put all it's eggs in one basket' with regards to embryonic stem cell research; cells that can be told to grow into anything you want them to - including damaged nerves.

If man did land on the moon then I'm sure we've been given a much glossier image of it than we should have. Such a feat would have incurred much higher casualties and would have taken a lot more time and money than a single economy could have coped with. And probably adding to the rose-tinted view of the landings is the fact we never went back... but now Bush has spent all his pocket money.

Anyway, I'm sceptical and not totally against the moon landings - but like the holocaust, which many are now questioning, information is kept far too secret, things are glossed over, spin and lies blur reality. Even truth can become tarnished.

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 04:49:36 AM »

Hyperspeed wrote:

1938/1950s - Okay I got the dates wrong, half the US population was gullible 12 years earlier than I stated.

First of all half the population didnt believe we were being invaded, half the population of the US didnt listen to Orson Welles broadcast every week.   Anyone who actually tuned in for the start of the show, knew it was a show (as it was announced that way), anyone who was listening at the 40 minute mark, were again told it was just a radio play based on a story, three more times during the show they were again told it was just a radio show based on the War of the Worlds Novel.   This myth you are spreading that half of the US believed we were being invaded is just that, a myth.  Really read a little before posting silly things again.

27,000 couldn't be wrong about the moon landings?

Is English a language you dont understand very well??  A minimum of 27K have to be involved in the coverup during the Apollo Program is the theory you are supporting.  Since then that number has to have grown immensely, in the millions as we've talked about.   Really believe millions of people past and present are part of a coverup that the US made it to the moon, plus at least 13 other nations are helping us with the coverup???  (Including Russia, Ukraine and China?)

There are 2 million employees of the Pentagon

No there aren't but hey facts and you have a big schism anyways.

Alas, I still don't believe man has landed on the moon.

Then tell us oh wise one what really happened.  How come I can bounce light off of the lunar laser ranging retroreflector array to this day??  Can you explain that??   How did people in at least 14 countries receive data from the moon during the Apollo missions in your myth scenario??   And again you didnt answer the question about when did the coverup start for the Apollo program, Apollo 4??  I mean if you believe it starts after Apollo 8, we have the problem that they are already orbitting the moon, landing on it is a pretty easy feat.   Where exactly did you go to school that you would have so little knowledge of science, math and physics that you can believe this theory??
     -Tig    
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Cymric

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »
Cymric: I'm out on my history? It was a Soviet 100-Megaton bomb that topped the yield tables. The shockwave blew villagers off their bicycles 50 miles from the test site.

Actually, no. The Soviets threathened they had a 100 Megatonne bomb; they never detonated it. There was no need, as the Americans got the message. The bomb was 'just' 58 Megatonnes.

As for Fusion bomb - I concede my knowledge of weapons of mass destruction is out of date (A bit like the CIA's) but the device is still AKA Fission-Fusion-Fission.

It's fission-fusion, to be precise, but the fissioning is just there to 'trigger' the fusion. Or fission-bit of fusion-fission-bit of fusion-..., depending on whether the make of the weapon is American or Russian.

However, that doesn't mean it is not a fusion bomb, because a big percentage of the energy released still finds its origin in a fusion reaction. However, there are still bigger bangs for us to discover, for example the antimatter bomb (which has a yield precisely equal to the mass of antimatter you care to put in there---fascinating stuff, by the way, my thesis partly relies on some of its properties).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 09:41:32 AM »
Hyperspeed wrote:
However there are a number of scientists that have made it vocal that the radiation levels on the moon would be too high, as would venturing too far from near Earth orbit. They say that for a week long journey back in '69 it would have killed the astronauts and THAT is why Russia never made it. What happened to Laika, and that monkey?

Back when trains were the hot thing, people were convinced the devilish fast trains were a healthhazard and would scare cows to death...

Anyway, don't believe what people say about the earth. The catholic church was right when they burnt everyone saying it was a sphere!

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 10:00:06 AM »
Hyperspeed wrote:

Laika was killed due to her oxygen supply running out, Sputnik 2 was never designed to return to Earth.  The poor dog was on a one way ticket.  The monkey in question might be offended (Ham the chimpanzee - a primate not a monkey) as he is a veteran astronaut and is still alive in a retirement home after successfully being launched by an early Mercury capsule.

Many astronauts / cosmonauts have stayed in space for months at a time (one has clocked up over a year) during extended stays aboard Skylab, Salyut and Mir.  These stations have all been placed in low Earth orbit. It is also possible to see satellites and manned spacecraft from the Earth.  

I've never been into conspiracy theories but I've read somewhere that the only solution to this problem of man(/woman) exploring deeper space is to somehow constantly regenerate the nerve tissue that is damaged by over-exposure to radiation (remember how instant this was in that film about Los Alamos?).

Long stay astronauts have reported having to take shelter behind batteries in order to shield them from radiation during periods of solar activity.  One astronaut actually reports seeing intemittent flashes of light even though his eyes were closed.  This was due to radiation hitting his retinas!  

Most of the shielding comes from Earth's own magnetic field though.

If man did land on the moon then I'm sure we've been given a much glossier image of it than we should have. Such a feat would have incurred much higher casualties and would have taken a lot more time and money than a single economy could have coped with. And probably adding to the rose-tinted view of the landings is the fact we never went back... but now Bush has spent all his pocket money.

An enormous amount of money was expended in the moon missions.  Apollo 1 cost the lives of three astronauts (Ed White, Roger Chaffee and Gus Grissom) on the launch pad due to faulty wiring and poor escape hatch design.  

It must be remembered that by the time Apollo 11 touched down, several test flights had taken place - Apollo 7 in earth orbit carrying astronauts for the first time, Apollo 8 went round the moon, Apollo 9 tested the Lunar Module in Earth orbit and Apollo 10 actually got to the moon and the Lunar Module descended to a few miles above the lunar surface before returning to the command module in orbit.  

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union never publically acknowledged the casualties of it's space programme.  It is known that several rockets were destroyed on the launch pad, killing some of the USSR's greatest scientists.  Rumours persist to this very day that cosmonauts were killed in space.  Do date, the acknowledged casualties are Vladimir Komarov and the returning crew from Salyut 1.

Anyway, I'm sceptical and not totally against the moon landings - but like the holocaust, which many are now questioning, information is kept far too secret, things are glossed over, spin and lies blur reality. Even truth can become tarnished.

There's no questioning the holocaust.  I've actually met allied ex-soldiers who were involved in the liberation of Belsen.  The truth is that six million people were robbed of their possessions and met untimely deaths at the hands of a totalitarian regieme.  
Cecilia for President

Offline Cymric

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 11:03:15 AM »
Hyperspeed wrote:
I'm not disputing we have placed things into orbit or sent probes around the solar system. I'm not disputing Hubble (even though the images are touched up with those colours) and maybe I am mixing anti-war with anti-science.

Yes, you are.

*Sigh*. I know Tigger is making an effort, and I know I'm going to make one---simple, polite---but somehow, I know this is not going to be pretty.

I'll begin at the end. Laika and the monkeys suffocated because the oxygen in their capsules ran out. They were, as the saying goes, 'expendable'. Back in the early days of rocketry, it must have been hard to carry up a heavy payload. If you put a satellite into orbit for study, and have to make every gram of it count, you are not going to spend a lot weight on oxygen canisters.

Then the radiation story. If you run into those things, the first thing you need to do is check the facts. And I'm going to. Therefore, could you please tell me who made those statements, on the basis of which data, and where did they publish them? You see, back in the 60's there weren't any satellites in orbit monitoring the radiation flux of the Sun, much like we do today. So, apart from looking at the Sun with helioscopes, and sending up balloons into the upper atmosphere, there really was no way to say with the certainty those anonymous 'scientists' display that the radiation levels on the journeys were 'too high'.

Of course, there was the genuine concern for the passage through the Van Allen belts which girdle the Earth. There, particle energies are much higher because of the interaction with Earth's magnetic field. Since a lot of satellites operate in that area, insurance companies want to know all about radiation levels. Measurements in the capsules, and later measurements of the fluxes themselves coupled with simple orbital mechanics provide a consistent picture: the astronauts got an effective dose of approximately 20 mSv, plus whatever they got from the rest of the journey, which would have been substantially lower. (See this link and here for the official article on the matter.) That's high when compared to normal people (law states a maximum of about 1 mSv/year for normal people living at sea level, but 20 mSv/year for radiological workers), but short-term adverse affects would not occur until they got slightly over 1 Sv. Long-term is a different matter: you have an increased risk of cancer. But then again, noone is saying that being an astronaut is a healthy profession.

Of course, that doesn't mean they can't be 'too high'. Unprotected, wearing just a space suit, an astronaut would quickly die when in the middle of a strong solar flare. Fortunately, thanks to light speed being as high as it is, we always have several hours early warning to put as much mass between him and the Sun as possible. It's crude, but it works. As a matter of fact, astronauts were trained for such occasions: hide under the lander, under rocky overhangs, whatever it takes to get out of the Sun. Fortunately, the occasion never arose.

Finally, because I like radiation physics, I will tell you all about Mars: it is estimated that the radiation levels for astronauts going to that forsaken rock are bordering on the allowed maxima. They would be exposed to so much radiation (mostly from cosmic rays, not from the Sun) that once they get home, they would never be allowed to go back into space. It is literally the trip of a lifetime. Personally, I think people are more valuable than to be used up in single pointless trips just to prove to the rest of the world that Bush has (and most definitely is) the Biggest Dick of us all.

That's quite a lot of SF there, mate. The entire body is degenerating due to exposure. Think of it as posters yellowing in the Sun, but then a little more quickly. Regenerating nerve tissue is the least of your worries: your reproductive organs will be calling it quits first, then the bone marrow. On a trip to the Moon, radiation levels are too low to worry about tissue regeneration, unless you plan on staying there for months. Then you would definitely need additional protection.

Interesting then that over the last few years medical science has 'put all it's eggs in one basket' with regards to embryonic stem cell research; cells that can be told to grow into anything you want them to - including damaged nerves.

Quite.

On the basis of what do you conclude that much higher casualties are to be expected? The most dangerous parts of the entire procedure are take-off and reentry to Earth, because of the insane amount of combustible fuel strapped to your backside, and the insanely high temperatures of the spacecraft, respectively. Once you're in space, there really isn't much to harm you, save the occasional meteorite or solar flare. And in fact, things did go wrong a number of times: Apollo 1 proved to be the fiery coffin of three qualified astronauts; Apollo 13 almost, when an explosion knocked out much of the main controls.  

Why would it have taken more money than a single economy could cope with? Where are your calculations to show that it is impossible? You are handwaving here, making up reasons instead of checking the facts. And why we never went back? Well, what for? What would we need to do on the Moon, save for conducting astronomical observations, mining the valuable He-3 isotope and building hotels so that people can enjoy the experience of low-g sex? You are completely correct that journeys to the Moon did not come cheap, and nowadays people will want to see a healthy ROI before committing cash. That is why we never went back. The business case is rotten to the core.

Being skeptical is okay. But trusting anonymous rumours over hard facts, when they are there, ready for you to check yourself, is inexcusable. (That too goes for your questioning the holocaust---why on Earth would you 'question' it? What's next? Questioning evolution? Questioning that HIV causes AIDS?)

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 12:29:46 PM »
mdma: I'd like to slap you for my linching... but you're buddhist.

A Buddhist Muay Thai boxer. :-)

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 02:15:28 PM »
An enormous amount of money was expended in the moon missions. Apollo 1 cost the lives of three astronauts (Ed White, Roger Chaffee and Gus Grissom) on the launch pad due to faulty wiring and poor escape hatch design.

not to mention a {bleep}pit atmosphere of almost pure Oxygen. hence the {bleep}pit fire.

-edit-
oh for F*ck's sake people ! whent did C.o.c.k.p.i.t. (the place where pilots and astronauts sit) become rude ?! get a grip !!
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 01, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »
oh for F*ck's sake people ! whent did C.o.c.k.p.i.t. (the place where pilots and astronauts sit)

Hum,
no need to swear :rtfm: