Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Have YOU snorted your cocaine today?  (Read 1013 times)

Description:

Offline CymricTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cymric
Have YOU snorted your cocaine today?
« on: August 05, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »
Check out this link. Italian researchers have sampled the waste water bassins in the Po river area, Italy, and concluded from the amounts of cocaine and its break-down products in these bassins that the cocaine (ab)use in this area is a staggering factor 80 higher than the government assumes. An interesing side conclusion is that there is 4 kilograms 'snow' flowing through the Po every day. I wonder when the mob or other shady figures build recycling plants to harvest this drug at almost no cost.

I will eat my shoe if other governments will not apply the same type of research to get a proper indication of how much drugs we truly use. And not how much we say we use.

Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Have YOU snorted your cocaine today?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 10:42:03 AM »
I read about this the other day, and think that they have actually found a real way of measuring peoples habbits... but then I wondered if there are any of these "break down products" that occur naturally in the environment...?

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:48:52 AM »

bloodline wrote:
I read about this the other day, and think that they have actually found a real way of measuring peoples habbits... but then I wondered if there are any of these "break down products" that occur naturally in the environment...?

Yes, did anyone check whether the river in question has Coca Plants running down either side of it? ;-)

Offline CymricTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »
I'm not really sure about these breakdown products. If I look them both up with Wikipedia, the nitrogen-bridges in cocaine as well as as its metabolite stick out like sore thumbs. I don't think there are many natural sources for those compounds, especially in the thin soup of pee and poop of a sewer system.

The milage may of course vary for other drugs. MDMA (ecstacy) has a rather odd ring in its structure which is not common as well; morphine/heroin/... have a really weird N-bridge spanning across a nearly flat molecule. I therefore suspect that these compounds and metabolites can be easily traced. This of course is not the case for amphetamine (speed) or gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB, 'the date rape drug'), and to a lesser extent THC. These chemicals are 'simpler': amino-acid like, a few longer straight carbon chains, and so forth. Our bodies should have an easier time with those, and thus break them down further.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 01:10:55 PM »
@Cymric

I'll supply the Saffrole, and you can brew up a batch of me. ;-)