Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Defence Against Super EMP Attack  (Read 1349 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
Defence Against Super EMP Attack
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:34:21 PM »
Hi
On FOX News, Mr Loftus from Intelligencesummit.org said that Iran and North Korea plan to launch "Super EMP" attack against US, Japan, EU, Australia and its allies.
It's difficult to detect the source of "Super EMP" attack and may decrease US counter attack capability.
Is it possible to create hardened computer / electronic devices (car, hospital, radio, TV, cellphone) against "Super EMP" attack?

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041025-112727-1229r.htm

"Imagine the only people you could communicate with are those within your visual range or within the sound of your voice. Imagine the only way you could travel was to walk or ride a bike. Imagine no electricity, working telephones or computers; no fuel for cars or airplanes, no running elevators, no heat or light for houses and buildings, no running water and after a few days, no food. Imagine that you had to live under these conditions for weeks, months or even years."

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
Re: Defence Against Super EMP Attack
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »
I would hardly call this 'science and technology', more 'keeping the public terrified and our paychecks coming'. It must be exceedingly frustrating for those poor {bleep}s that they have the world's most powerful military, yet cannot do anything to prevent them from being cast back into the stone age. Unless of course every other country on Earth pledges not to use nor research nuclear weapons. Save for the US themselves, of course, because they have the right to defend themselves.

Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 07:59:42 PM »
Charles Babbage built a computer immune to EMP. :-)
this space for rent

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:13:09 PM »
Why am I not surprised this came from FOX NEWS?

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »

mdma wrote:
Why am I not surprised this came from FOX NEWS?

Actually on Fox news they were talking about the US government report on EMP and which was released last year, which you would have known if you had actually read the URL attached to the start of this topic.  How about you actually read the URLs of a topic before making silly posts that make no sense??   The URL is from the Washington Times, for UPI wire quoting a US government report that was presented to congress, so that its just Fox News comment seems pretty silly.  However given the US's huge amount of research into EMP, its doubtful it would be as debilitating as the the UPI report from the Washington Times implies, though a nationwide EMP blast (if it were possible to do) would be likely to bring lots of civilian aircraft down.
    -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show