Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: European Companies Dump Toxic Waste Near Somalia Beach  (Read 2005 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
European Companies Dump Toxic Waste Near Somalia Beach
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:55:36 PM »
Several chemical companies from France and Swiss had dumped tons of toxic waste on offshore locations near Somalia.

Because of tsunami, the dangerous waste is leaking.
Can EU government investigate the illegal operation and prosecute the companies? Is it possible to repair the environmental damages?

From BBC:
Tsunami waves could have spread illegally dumped nuclear waste and other toxic waste on Somalia's coast, a United Nations spokesman has said.
Nick Nuttall of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) told the BBC that December's tsunami appeared to have broken barrels and scattered waste.
Mr Nuttall said a preliminary UN report had found that Somalis in the northern areas were falling sick as a result. Some firms have been dumping waste off Somalia's coast for years, the UN says.
It says international companies have been taken advantage of the fact that Somalia had no functioning government from the early 1990s until recently.

Cancer link
"It appears that the tsunami broke open the containers and scattered a lot of these toxic substances around," Mr Nuttall told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme. We need to see if there needs to be a clean-up, whether top soils have to be removed and disposed of safely.

"We are talking about radioactive chemicals, heavy metals, medical waste.. you name it," he said. Mr Nuttall said that reports from the tsunami-hit areas in northern Somalia had found that some local villagers there had mouth bleeds and haemorrhages.

He said that some of the hazardous wastes had been linked with cancer.
"We know this hazardous waste is on the land and is being blown around in the air and being carried to villages. ". There is also a possibility - which needs to be urgently investigated - about whether some of these chemicals have got into the coastal waters.

However, the spokesman said the UNEP needed to assess the full impact for the country. He said that the waste posed significant danger to Somalia's fishing industry and also local marine life.

Re: European Companies Dump Toxic Waste Near Somalia Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 03:07:18 PM »
Disgraceful

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:44:38 PM »
Quick! Blame it on U.S. corporations!
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 03:47:23 PM »

whabang wrote:

Yeah, it must have been Bush himslef!

-was going to put laugh smiley, but I guess toxic waste is no laughing matter :-(
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 06:39:12 PM »
Of course it's the US government's fault! In particular it is most definately all Bush's fault....

But seriously, this is disgraceful. They better be made to clean it up ASAFP.

If the US military wanted to *persuade* them to do that, they'd have my blessing ;-)
int p; // A

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:56:41 AM »
@whabang
@Karlos
 Of course it's the US government's fault! In particular it is most definately all Bush's fault....

>>Halliburton!
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline whabang

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 07:22:53 AM »
@Metalman
Naah! They're busy in Iran! :-)

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 01:05:38 PM »

asian1 wrote:
Can EU government investigate the illegal operation and prosecute the companies? Is it possible to repair the environmental damages?

Maybe you're overestimating the power of the European "government".

It does not have the power of an REAL government yet - its more an "roof-organisation" for the European member states.

Maybe Europe one day evolves to a construct similar to the United States Of America - but that's in the distant future, if ever.

Until then there's quite a distance to go.
Up to now the European "government" - better say: "European Council" - can give advices to the governments of its member states to adapt their laws.

The members should follow these advices, but you know, theory and practical experience are two different pairs of shoes...

Europes unification is an ongoing process - and today it is still not clear (at least not to me) to which extent it is meant to go in the end...

Currently I would prefer to see Europe as a loose combination of independant states, and not as one nation with one poweful government.

It sometimes reminds me of the UN...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Fade

• Show only replies by Fade
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 07:43:24 PM »
@ Dandy
"Currently I would prefer to see Europe as a loose combination of independant states, and not as one nation with one poweful government.

It sometimes reminds me of the UN..."
------------------

Dandy, I don't think the EU could ever become as corrupt as the UN.
If you\\\'re still voting Democrat, you\\\'re stuck on stupid!

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »
Maybe Europe one day evolves to a construct similar to the United States Of America - but that's in the distant future, if ever.

That will never happen, and if, on the off chance it ever did happen, the UK would have no part in it whatsoever.  I don't think european mainlanders realise just how much anti-european sentiment there is over here.

To paraphrase an old man i heard on the bus talking about this subject "I didn't fight Hitler in a world war to stop the b*stards taking over this country, just so they could sneak in the back door 60 years later".

That pretty much sums up the attitude of at least 50% of our population.

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 04:29:27 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------
according to polls, only 11% of EU citizens have actually read the "mother of all EU treaties" or have any idea what it is all about.

The English version of the EU constitution is 474 pages.
--------------------------------------------------------------

>The US Constitution is 14 pages, including signatures!

Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline whabang

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 10:33:21 AM »
Europe will never become a federal state, hoever, it's quite likely that the cooperation between the EU-countries will be extended greatly, possibly including a mutual defence pact.

Personally, I believe that cooperation, not assimilation, is the way to go.
Playing with the thought of a European super-power is funny, but Europe isn't ready for that. It's not likely that it will ever be.

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 09:06:20 AM »

mdma wrote:

That will never happen, and if, on the off chance it ever did happen, the UK would have no part in it whatsoever.  I don't think european mainlanders realise just how much anti-european sentiment there is over here.

To paraphrase an old man i heard on the bus talking about this subject "I didn't fight Hitler in a world war to stop the b*stards taking over this country, just so they could sneak in the back door 60 years later".

That pretty much sums up the attitude of at least 50% of our population.

Got your point.
Thing is, that if the UK wants to join - fine.
If they don't - fine as well.
The "rest" of Europe does not depend on the UK, you know...

Although the thought of a politically united Europe, where *ALL* the countries that are geographically "European" are memberstates, is a tempting one...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)