Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Iapetus artificial?  (Read 7708 times)

Description:

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: \o/
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 01:49:30 PM »
Just because the phenomena is unexplained doesn't make it artificial.

Don't forget that Iapetus's distance from the warming sun means that it's icy crust will retain the scars of it's early meteoric bombardment, plus it will also have been subjected to gravitational distortion from Saturn.  

An example of a naturally occurring hexidecimal shape can be found inside any Amythist bearing geode stone, no-one would suggest that is anything other than naturally occurring?

Cecilia for President

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 02:01:39 PM »
Yes,
i believe nasa is working on the mechanism that would create the unusual features they have spotted.

it reminds me of the unusual properties found when Iapetus was first observed in detail; that one face was as white as snow and the other face was back as tar.
(that gave the A C Clarke 2001 story line of the `eye of Iapetus` and the monolith at its centre.)
it was found that the spectra of the dark side matched the asteroids and that the moons rotation is phase-locked with its revolution, so that it swept up the debris of the impacts on the other moons...

A simpler explanation than an advanced civilisation painting one side of the moon black.
 :-)

Offline falemagnTopic starter

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »

Just because the phenomena is unexplained doesn't make it artificial.

I don't recall having said that. However, it being artificial is a possible explanation and there's no reason to discard it as unfounded unless you can come right now with an alternative, natural explanation that can be proven.

Don't forget that Iapetus's distance from the warming sun means that it's icy crust will retain the scars of it's early meteoric bombardment,

And why wouldn't the non icy crust retain such scars as well? Moreover, I've never seen hexagonal scars, have you?

plus it will also have been subjected to gravitational distortion from Saturn.

Like any other body around it. So?

An example of a naturally occurring hexidecimal shape can be found inside any Amythist bearing geode stone, no-one would suggest that is anything other than naturally occurring?

But you do notice the huge difference in magnitude, don't you?

The only thing that I can think of is a huge crystal, perhaps a carbon one. A diamond, that is. Might it be a piece of the core of a... dead star somehow entrapped by the gravitational force of Saturn in an orbit around it? This would be coherent with the evidence that the black part is made of organic material, it would be coherent with the somewhat singular orbit around saturn, both for shape and inclination, and it would be coherent with the geodesic shape.

It could have been  a comet! Which would also explain the icy crust.

This wouldn't explain, however, the ridge.

Now, except for the ridge, I believe that yes, that is a more plausible scenario than a spaceship of some sort.

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 02:25:24 PM »

Yes,
i believe nasa is working on the mechanism that would create the unusual features they have spotted.

Probably, but so far you've not even tried to counterargument Hoagland's hypothesis, labelling it as impossible right away, and proposing even more unlikely scenarios. It's this attitude I'm questioning.

it reminds me of the unusual properties found when Iapetus was first observed in detail; that one face was as white as snow and the other face was back as tar.
(that gave the A C Clarke 2001 story line of the `eye of Iapetus` and the monolith at its centre.)
it was found that the spectra of the dark side matched the asteroids and that the moons rotation is phase-locked with its revolution, so that it swept up the debris of the impacts on the other moons...

A simpler explanation than an advanced civilisation painting one side of the moon black.

Resorting to strawman attacks won't help your cause. Did you see me or anyone else, by any chance, considering the hypothesis that someone painted the moon? I don't think so.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 02:32:24 PM »

falemagn wrote:

Probably, but so far you've not even tried to counterargument Hoagland's hypothesis, labelling it as impossible right away, and proposing even more unlikely scenarios. It's this attitude I'm questioning.

And you're not questioning Hoaglands attitude and way of presenting his 'proof'? :-?

oh dear :lol: you want to believe him, right?
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 02:37:29 PM »
This is just like the Intelligent Design argument...
int p; // A

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 02:48:46 PM »

And you're not questioning Hoaglands attitude and way of presenting his 'proof'?

oh dear you want to believe him, right?

Have you missed the message where I proposed an alternative scenario?

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 03:06:12 PM »

Q1) Does it look artificial?

At best, I can say objectively that some of the features appear unnatural.

Err, artificial means exactly that, unnatural :-)

Q2) Does an artificial appearence prove artificial nature?

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Certianly not. There are a virtually uncountable number of natural systes that appear artificial at all scales.

That's a contraddiction in terms. Can you make any examples of what you have in mind?

Q3) Is there any tangible evidence to suggest that the moon in question is artificial in nature other than its appearence.

Not yet.

True.

Q4) Is there any evidence that is is a natural object, discounting its unusual appearence?

Sorry, but why would you discount its unusual, unnatural (by your own words) appearance?

The appearance is the only thing we can check for now, and that clearly leans torwards artificiality, as you yourself said (ok, you said unnatural, but they're synonims).

Yes, everything available other than the appearence seems to be well within the known boundaries for an ice moon.

We have nothing else than appearance! What is this everything other than appearance you talk about?

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
Re: Is Iapetus artificial?
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »
falemagn wrote:
Whatever you think of Hoagland doesn't explain those pictures.

So we can leave Hoagland completely out of the equation, and just focus on what we observe about Iapetus. Are we in agreement there? Mind, I am not a planetary geologist, just an ordinary chemical engineer. Can I just ask you what your background is?

Well, I can't say anything about your numbers 'cause I haven't seen the calculations behind them, but I can point you to how things are in reality: Saturn's got many other moons, and many of them have a mass inferior to the one of Iapetus, yet they are perfectly spherical. I think you need to recheck your numbers ;-) Also, consider that not just mass counts, but also the diameter.

I was arguing against Hoagland's ridiculous claim that any body larger than a few hundred miles should be perfectly spherical due to gravitational self-attraction. That is not true: it depends on a number of parameters. Even my quickly scribbled calculations are likely to be off, since they assume that all energy to melt the objects interior comes from gravitational collapse. There is also tidal effects due to the proximity of larger bodies (think Io), heat of fusion (which is linked to composition), kinetic energy due to impacts with other bodies, and radioactive decay (which accounts for Earths still-molten interior). And then to top it all we have angular momentum to balance the attractive forces of gravity, and heat loss to space to determine the cooling time. All these factors have to be taken into account before one can say whether an object is likely to be spherical or not. Hoagland did not do this, and that was what I was trying to demonstrate.

Moreover, Iapetus doesn't appear to be just non spherical, it appeaars to be geodesic, which can't be explained by just saying that gravity wasn't strong enough to melt it.

My response would be 'so what?'. First of all, nowhere on that site is that claim made. Iapetus is a squashed ellipsoid. (Hoagland seems to suggest that because Iapetus' day is 79 Earth days long, it has always been that long, because the moon is still so squashed. He needs that line of reasoning to discredit natural phenomena. Out go tidal locking with Saturn, fast cooling and whatever else you can throw at it. Tsktsk.) Second, any body with materials which cannot cope with high tensile stresses will turn into a geodesic shape under its own gravity---that's what a geodesic means. The Earth is not a perfect ellipsoid, it is a geodesic because of its molten interior: angular momentum and gravitational self-attraction balance out at that particular shape. Third, I really wonder how one could measure the geodesic shape of Iapetus given the relatively crude instruments on Cassini. On Earth, the deviation from the ellipsoid is measured in meters.

That is in itself not an explanation for Iapetus' unusual shape, since I lack information about the various processes and their relevance. We'd need a geologist for that. What I am saying is that you shouldn't be jumping to conclusions either. There are plenty of quite normal mechanisms we understand at work (I've listed a few), and all we need to do now is put them in a very fast and very big computer to see what we end up with.

Notice I'm not saying Iapetus is indeed artificial, I'm just saying that unless you can explain in detail how could Iapetus "naturally" have such singular characteristics, then the artificial hypothesis can't be discarded.

Which is of course a complete and utterly bogus hypothesis, because you can't scientifically falsify that one. How would you determine it is constructed? Okay, I would call the presence of lorries, bulldozers and workers' huts a pretty good indication of artificiality. But other than that we have no idea what non-human constructs look like (other than evolved ones, like trees or birds) so we chose to  anthropomorphisize the entire thing. And that is certainly  not scientific.

Suppose that we see nothing indicating lorries on the new flyby in 2007, provided even that Cassini passes by so close that such devices can be seen with its cameras. If you then still cling to the artificial hypothesis, claiming some unknown way of construction, you chose to remain ignorant and not look at it in further detail. I would much rather prefer to keep on looking, improving my knowledge of geology and large-scale rock formations.

And it is quite possible that we will not be able to explain the particular rock formation in complete detail until we land probes on Iapetus, or visit the moon in person. Scientific theories are only as good as their underlying data, and that quite often means: work in progress. It's galling for me to realise I will probably not live to see the discovery of feasible FTL drives, wormholes, time travel, or---less ambitious---commercial fusion plants or quantum computers, but we can't have it all, can we? :-)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 03:12:03 PM »

falemagn wrote:

And you're not questioning Hoaglands attitude and way of presenting his 'proof'?

oh dear you want to believe him, right?

Have you missed the message where I proposed an alternative scenario?
You did NOT propose an alternative scenario.

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2005, 03:22:47 PM »

You did NOT propose an alternative scenario.

Ok, you missed it. Just say it, what are you afraid of? :-)

Seriously, give a read to what I write before replying.

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »

falemagn wrote:
what are you afraid of? :-)
of crying maria statues

Seriously, give a read to what I write before replying.
I did.
Seriously.
Found only vague hints of you calling yourself 'open minded' towards other explanations, but until then you call this hoagland theory a fact.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2005, 03:40:05 PM »

falemagn wrote:

Q1) Does it look artificial?

At best, I can say objectively that some of the features appear unnatural.

Err, artificial means exactly that, unnatural :-)

No, it does not. Something appearing "unnatural" does not imply artificial. Specifically, I use the term "artificial" as "intelligently designed/constructed".

"Unnatural" carries many connotations that allow something to appear unnatural without actually being artificial in the above strict definition.

Feck, look at the cell biochemistry threads for a flawless example of the above ;-)

Q2) Does an artificial appearence prove artificial nature?

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...

This is one of the worst arguments ever. Things are not always what they seem in the absence of sufficient information.

In short, all we know is that it has some of the familiar attributes of a Duck. So does a man masquerading in a duck outfit blowing a hunters duck-caller...

Certianly not. There are a virtually uncountable number of natural systes that appear artificial at all scales.

That's a contraddiction in terms. Can you make any examples
of what you have in mind?

No, it is not. Once again, you are applying a flawed reasoning that something "appearing to be X" must be "X". All I am saying is that there are plenty of things "appearing to be X" that are in fact "Y, Z etc". Appearences alone are insufficient to make an informed opinion.

The following natural things appear "artificial" as far as I am concerned:

Crystals (just about any variety), biological macromolecules, self-regulating reactions, biochemistry and life in general, quantum mechanical properties of the microscopic, the prime number series, etc.

Q3) Is there any tangible evidence to suggest that the moon in question is artificial in nature other than its appearence.

Not yet.

True.

Q4) Is there any evidence that is is a natural object, discounting its unusual appearence?

Sorry, but why would you discount its unusual, unnatural (by your own words) appearance?
[/quote]

I am testing the assertation that 'do we have any evidence aside from the appearence, that it is artificial' ?

Again, without this, it simply "looks like a duck". Does it quack like one?

This thing also looks like a moon, orbits like a moon, has the composition of a moon and possesses a wide array of moon like attributes.

The appearance is the only thing we can check for now, and that clearly leans torwards artificiality, as you yourself said (ok, you said unnatural, but they're synonims).

I said, "at best" it could be described as unnatural looking.

We can check its surface composition, mass etc (as inferred from its gravity), density, none of which are out of the ordinary for an ice moon.

Yes, everything available other than the appearence seems to be well within the known boundaries for an ice moon.

We have nothing else than appearance! What is this everything other than appearance you talk about?

Look up information on this moon. You will find plenty of things tabulated about it other than a picture.
int p; // A

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2005, 03:53:42 PM »
@Karlos
I had a quick around the internet but there doesn’t seem to be any info on the mechanics of crater formation regarding the unusual shapes, and NASA says they are “impact-substrate related”.
Not my field, so I guess it’s like some chaotic geological/impact interaction.
i.e.
nice example of slow motion photography of a milkdrop.

And I managed to find another impact crater, Albategnius, located in the Moons central highlands.

Re: Is Iapetus artificial?
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »

Cymric wrote:
falemagn wrote:
Whatever you think of Hoagland doesn't explain those pictures.

So we can leave Hoagland completely out of the equation, and just focus on what we observe about Iapetus. Are we in agreement there?

We don't just can, we must leave out of the equation whatever personal opinions you can have about Hoagland.

That doesn't mean we need to leave out of the equation what Hoagland said.

Mind, I am not a planetary geologist, just an ordinary chemical engineer. Can I just ask you what your background is?

Red Herring. I don't feel the need to answer to this question, It's completely irrelevant. Just stick to the discussion.

Well, I can't say anything about your numbers 'cause I haven't seen the calculations behind them, but I can point you to how things are in reality: Saturn's got many other moons, and many of them have a mass inferior to the one of Iapetus, yet they are perfectly spherical. I think you need to recheck your numbers ;-) Also, consider that not just mass counts, but also the diameter.

I was arguing against Hoagland's ridiculous claim that any body larger than a few hundred miles should be perfectly spherical due to gravitational self-attraction. That is not true: it depends on a number of parameters.

It indeed does, but so what? I haven't said you have to take anything Hoagland says as it were divine truth.

[...] All these factors have to be taken into account before one can say whether an object is likely to be spherical or not. Hoagland did not do this, and that was what I was trying to demonstrate.

Strawman attack. It's you that didn't consider all elements, in fact you've tried to counterargument Hoagland's claim by showing that Iapetus cannot possibly be spherical for solely naturaly reasons. But you yourself now admitted that you don't know for sure, that your calculations may be off, and so on and so forth.

What Hoagland said is that any object bigger than a certain size will always be spherical. This is true, you confirmed it in the previous message. and in fact you even tried to disprove that the particular Iapetus case isn't one of the cases where the object becomes spherical. And, as you've said yourself, you made up your numbers.

Moreover, Iapetus doesn't appear to be just non spherical, it appeaars to be geodesic, which can't be explained by just saying that gravity wasn't strong enough to melt it.

My response would be 'so what?'. First of all, nowhere on that site is that claim made.

It's now clear you've not read even 1/3 of that report. Look better, the moon2.htm page is totally centered on that argument.

Iapetus is a squashed ellipsoid.

Then, please, explain this picture:

(Hoagland seems to suggest that because Iapetus' day is 79 Earth days long, it has always been that long, because the moon is still so squashed. He needs that line of reasoning to discredit natural phenomena. Out go tidal locking with Saturn, fast cooling and whatever else you can throw at it. Tsktsk.)

Now that is a claim I can't find anywhere on the site. I may have as well missed it, can you provide a link, please?

Second, any body with materials which cannot cope with high tensile stresses will turn into a geodesic shape under its own gravity---that's what a geodesic means.

Uh?! Geodesic means that since when? Do you know what a geode is, by any chance? you know what a geodesic dome is? You're building a whole argument on top of fallacious presumptions.

The Earth is not a perfect ellipsoid, it is a geodesic because of its molten interior: angular momentum and gravitational self-attraction balance out at that particular shape. Third, I really wonder how one could measure the geodesic shape of Iapetus given the relatively crude instruments on Cassini. On Earth, the deviation from the ellipsoid is measured in meters.

You have a totally bogus idea of what 'geodesic' means. You might want to look at a dictionary. Sorry, but I can't be more polite than that.

That is in itself not an explanation for Iapetus' unusual shape, since I lack information about the various processes and their relevance. We'd need a geologist for that. What I am saying is that you shouldn't be jumping to conclusions either.

Did I jump to conclusions? I recall having made perfectly clear that I don't know whether it's artificial or not. I've even proposed a natural explanation that tries to fit all evidence we have.

Notice I'm not saying Iapetus is indeed artificial, I'm just saying that unless you can explain in detail how could Iapetus "naturally" have such singular characteristics, then the artificial hypothesis can't be discarded.

Which is of course a complete and utterly bogus hypothesis, because you can't scientifically falsify that one.
 How would you determine it is constructed?

Uh... How else if not by digging and trying to find what's in it? If it's indeed been constructed, it must have a purpose. Hoagland is even suggesting it's a spaceship, how more testifiable than that can it get?!

Tsk tsk..

Okay, I would call the presence of lorries, bulldozers and workers' huts a pretty good indication of artificiality. But other than that we have no idea what non-human constructs look like (other than evolved ones, like trees or birds) so we chose to  anthropomorphisize the entire thing. And that is certainly  not scientific.

Oh, please... how more silly can it get?

First of all, no one said it's non-human. For what we know it could have been us ourselves that put that thing there, eons ago. This wouldn't be in contraddiction with anything we know about ourselves and our world, and would instead corroborate some of the old myths that pervade our cultures.

Secondly, I'm sure that you'd be able to recognize a manufact produced by intelligent beings if you had the opportunity to look at it with your own eyes and 'play' with it. Unless the manufact were deliberately made to not look like an artificial object, which is an extreme case we can avoid considering.

Suppose that we see nothing indicating lorries on the new flyby in 2007, provided even that Cassini passes by so close that such devices can be seen with its cameras. If you then still cling to the artificial hypothesis, claiming some unknown way of construction, you chose to remain ignorant and not look at it in further detail. I would much rather prefer to keep on looking, improving my knowledge of geology and large-scale rock formations.

Uh... of course I'd want to look at it in further detail. If it were up to me I'd land on that moon right away and do all examinations that would be required. It's not me here that isn't prepared to all possible scenarios.

« Reply #44 from previous page: February 23, 2005, 03:58:17 PM »

I did.
Seriously.
Found only vague hints of you calling yourself 'open minded' towards other explanations, but until then you call this hoagland theory a fact.

Then you don't know how to read. Moreover, you're implicitely saying I'm so stupid as of claiming I did something it would be so easy to verify I haven't.

I give you one last chance before plastering the link to the message I'm referring to all around your face :-)