Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guess who's gone all 64bit!!!!!  (Read 4747 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Guess who's gone all 64bit!!!!!
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:06:18 PM »
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee!!!!

It's so cool!! Everything is... just like 32 bit... :-?

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Guess who's gone all 64bit!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 08:39:28 PM »
in fact, I see very little progress in PC world
yeah, the video processing and the 3d stuff is a lot faster nowadays, but that's about it.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
yeah, the video processing and the 3d stuff is a lot faster nowadays, but that's about it.

Hehehe, ok, it's not that bad.. WindowsXP 64bit is weird though... it's sort of two opertaing systems in one, I can't believe it's taken then over a year to get it to this point :-/

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:57:10 PM »
Thing is, my 386 starts quicker (with all drivers loaded and so) than my Sempron2200+, either with w98 or winxp
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:22:59 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

Hehehe, ok, it's not that bad.. WindowsXP 64bit is weird though... it's sort of two opertaing systems in one, I can't believe it's taken then over a year to get it to this point :-/

Back handers from Intel is no doubt the reason they delayed releasing Windows x64.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:33:16 PM »

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

Back handers from Intel is no doubt the reason they delayed releasing Windows x64.

I expect so, but it's pretty lame... even for Windows.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:38:30 PM »
@bloodline

I can appreciate the sense of anticlimax. Consider it, other than supporting more than 4GB of linearly addressable physical memory, what does 64-bit do for you anyway?

I mean really, when it comes to instruction processing, many CPU's have supported 64-bit operands and data buses for a long time. Heck, even the Pentium2 can do 64-bit integer operations.
int p; // A

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 09:42:28 PM »
I think most people subconciously think 64 bit will offer a lot more performance than 32. Actually it's usually the opposite, and even when a 64 bit CPU is actually used optimally, it's still not a lightyear ahead of current CPUs.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 10:12:01 PM »

KennyR wrote:
I think most people subconciously think 64 bit will offer a lot more performance than 32. Actually it's usually the opposite, and even when a 64 bit CPU is actually used optimally, it's still not a lightyear ahead of current CPUs.

Well this Athlon54 at 2Ghz is certainly a good margin faster than my 3,06Ghz P4... but that's because the P4 sux :-D

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 10:18:39 PM »

Karlos wrote:
@bloodline
I mean really, when it comes to instruction processing, many CPU's have supported 64-bit operands and data buses for a long time. Heck, even the Pentium2 can do 64-bit integer operations.

When AMD designed the AMD64 instruction they did try to change some other things in the instruction set like the number of registers. It's these changes that make 64bit programs faster then 32bit program on the AMD64 cpus.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:19:19 PM »

bloodline wrote:

KennyR wrote:

Well this Athlon54 at 2Ghz is certainly a good margin faster than my 3,06Ghz P4... but that's because the P4 sux :-D

Sh!t loads of extra registers is what gives it it's speed. Oh, and the 1MB of cache on-die. :-)

64bit Linux is a hell of a lot faster on this Athlon64 3200+ of mine than 32bit Linux is.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 10:20:42 PM »
@Staf

Damn, you beat me to it! :-D

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

KennyR wrote:

Sh!t loads of extra registers is what gives it it's speed. Oh, and the 1MB of cache on-die. :-)

64bit Linux is a hell of a lot faster on this Athlon64 3200+ of mine than 32bit Linux is.

Snap! I've got a 3200 (939 version) too :-)

Actaulyl now I've got all the drivers installed in the Windows64, it's starting to really get fast :-o It's not a little faster than my P4... it's a LOT faster (in 64bit mode anyway)!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 10:35:14 PM »

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

KennyR wrote:

Actaulyl now I've got all the drivers installed in the Windows64, it's starting to really get fast :-o It's not a little faster than my P4... it's a LOT faster (in 64bit mode anyway)!!!

Mine's in my laptop it gets hot as fek!! :-)

Have you tried AROS on it it yet? It works fine for me on this laptop with Athlon64, VIA chipset and ATI 9600.

If only we had an ATI driver for AROS it'd be even quicker than it is in VESA mode.

Have you installed the AMD processor driver from the AMD website yet?

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 10:38:01 PM »

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

KennyR wrote:

Mine's in my laptop it gets hot as fek!! :-)

Have you tried AROS on it it yet? It works fine for me on this laptop with Athlon64, VIA chipset and ATI 9600.

If only we had an ATI driver for AROS it'd be even quicker than it is in VESA mode.

Have you installed the AMD processor driver from the AMD website yet?

I've run AROS on this machine... I nearly pooped my pants :-D Though I've yet to get the AROS Nvidia driver to recognise my PCIExpress gfx card :-) Still it's sooperdooper fast in VESA mode!

AMD Processor driver? I'll have a look now :-D