Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guess who's gone all 64bit!!!!!  (Read 4836 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Guess who's gone all 64bit!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2005, 05:35:21 PM »

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Karlos wrote:
Surely you need 64 registers to complete the 64ness of it all? :-P

:lol: I learned asm with 16 regs, I don't need any more :-)

-Off Topic- I was just curious about what this 2Ghz 64bit chip could do... and decided to set the Front Side Bus to 230Mhz (up from 200Mhz). I now have the thing running at 2.3Ghz, I didn't need to increase the Vcore... the Temp has gone up from 23C to 26C... and it's totally stable... VERY fast too... I'm glad I paid extra for some branded Memory now :-D

Lucky bugger! I can't OC mine as it's a flaming laptop.  The only options the BIOS has is to change the time and boot device. :-(

Well my chip is a 90nm one and they have built up quite a reputation for Over Clocking... I noticed that mine ran 23C... I don't think I've ever seen a CPU run so cold!... I decided to crank up the Speed... :-D

According to SandraSoft, I'm clocking in at around the same processing power as a Pentium 4 at 3.8Ghz... :-o

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2005, 11:59:12 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Well my chip is a 90nm one and they have built up quite a reputation for Over Clocking... I noticed that mine ran 23C... I don't think I've ever seen a CPU run so cold!... I decided to crank up the Speed... :-D

Try it without any cooling and see how hot it gets...

*disclaimer : don't do this, 'tis a silly idea.
int p; // A

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2005, 04:12:30 AM »
With a little bit of luck in the near future I'll be fitting a water cooler to my socket 754 Athlon64 3000 (2Ghz), with a little more luck, I'll be overclocking the thing to hieghts that with my old AthlonXP setup would be considered silly (AthlonXP 2000@1.6Ghz o/c'd to 2Ghz with water cooling).

I'd expect to get 2.3Ghz comfortably with the possibility of 2.5Ghz at a stretch.

In other news I overclocked my mothers 1Ghz T'bird Athlon system to 1.3Ghz with the stock cooler with reliable results. I love my hobby :-D I just wish that the stock cooler for the Athlon 64 was as well spec'ed for the job at hand, as the temperatures are well above what I'd consider wise for general operations.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »

Karlos wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Try it without any cooling and see how hot it gets...

*disclaimer : don't do this, 'tis a silly idea.

Well, I'm using the little HSF that came with the CPU (AMD's Processor in a box).

I'd risk not using a Fan...  with this puppy, but I wouldn't expect it to last long without a heatsink, even if it's at 23C :-D

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2005, 06:00:46 PM »
http://www.glebeci.ca/users/matt/video/Scene_1_AMD_Duron_Vaporizing_final_divx_lq1.avi

The Above video is what happens when you take the HSF off a Duron while it's running...

Not pretty... you have been warned!!! :-o

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2005, 06:22:29 PM »

bloodline wrote:
http://www.glebeci.ca/users/matt/video/Scene_1_AMD_Duron_Vaporizing_final_divx_lq1.avi

The Above video is what happens when you take the HSF off a Duron while it's running...

Not pretty... you have been warned!!! :-o

:-o Ouch!

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »
@ Bloodline

Do you reckon that video is real? I mean do you reckon that the chip came off the mobo at that rate by itself, and blew a hole in the table (1cm wood by the looks of things) without the mobo lifting?

I am a bit skeptical.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2005, 06:59:04 PM »

X-ray wrote:
@ Bloodline

Do you reckon that video is real? I mean do you reckon that the chip came off the mobo at that rate by itself, and blew a hole in the table (1cm wood by the looks of things) without the mobo lifting?

I don't see why not... It's been a while since I last used a SocketA but I don't recall it holding the CPU in place with any great resistance.

Offline X-ray

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2005, 07:11:47 PM »
But what blew the hole in the table? All the chip pieces went up. I can't believe that gas blast alone blew a hole through the mobo and the table, without the mobo moving. I reckon that video was staged.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2005, 07:29:53 PM »

X-ray wrote:
But what blew the hole in the table? All the chip pieces went up. I can't believe that gas blast alone blew a hole through the mobo and the table, without the mobo moving. I reckon that video was staged.

The underside of the Duron has a small metal cap soldered over the top of the Silicon die, the gas inside the cavity headed up and poped the cap off.

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2005, 07:37:09 PM »
I wonder how much difference the similarly clocked Athlon 64 would actually make over the Athlon 2800+ I'm running now?  Haven't really seen a site that adequately explains the difference in real-world terms.

Wayne

Offline X-ray

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2005, 07:56:18 PM »
I fully accept that, my good man, but you still haven't told me how that little pop could have blown a hole in the mobo AND the table underneath.
I don't profess to be an explosives expert, but I have done a few crazy things as a kid and the products of the explosion always follow the path of least resistance. I used to set off matchbox bombs that were taped inside a sealed tin that was one third filled with fuel, by means of an air rifle from a safe distance. The bang was...well...quite something. The surface upon which the charge rested was scorched, but undamaged even though the tin was shredded and the lid could not be found. So what I'm saying is, you've got a charge resting on a laminated surface (mobo plus table) and the only resistance it has is the chip itself. The chip goes up, which is understandable, but there's no way a little pop like that can blow a hole through a mobo and a table so precisely, especially when the main blast escapes vertically in the path of least resistance.

Offline X-ray

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2005, 07:57:58 PM »
"...I wonder how much difference the similarly clocked Athlon 64 would actually make over the Athlon 2800+ I'm running now? Haven't really seen a site that adequately explains the difference in real-world terms..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to see actual raytracing benchmarks on this. There has to be a real incentive for me to buy 64bit, and raytracing is the main one for me.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2005, 08:26:35 PM »

X-ray wrote:
I fully accept that, my good man, but you still haven't told me how that little pop could have blown a hole in the mobo AND the table underneath.
I don't profess to be an explosives expert, but I have done a few crazy things as a kid and the products of the explosion always follow the path of least resistance. I used to set off matchbox bombs that were taped inside a sealed tin that was one third filled with fuel, by means of an air rifle from a safe distance. The bang was...well...quite something. The surface upon which the charge rested was scorched, but undamaged even though the tin was shredded and the lid could not be found. So what I'm saying is, you've got a charge resting on a laminated surface (mobo plus table) and the only resistance it has is the chip itself. The chip goes up, which is understandable, but there's no way a little pop like that can blow a hole through a mobo and a table so precisely, especially when the main blast escapes vertically in the path of least resistance.

I'm thinking Newton's Third Law...

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2005, 08:29:25 PM »

Wayne wrote:
I wonder how much difference the similarly clocked Athlon 64 would actually make over the Athlon 2800+ I'm running now?  Haven't really seen a site that adequately explains the difference in real-world terms.

Wayne

That's a good question...

I'm not sure, but What I can tell you is that the integrated Memory controler and Dual Channel memory architecture give massive performance gains for the Athlon 64 (Socket 939) 3200 over the AthlonXP 3200, My test program was Propellerhead's Reason 2.5

« Reply #59 from previous page: January 20, 2005, 08:33:33 PM »

Wayne wrote:

Wayne

Well, I never thought I'd hear myself syaing this, but 64bit windows with the latest 64bit radeon drivers feels just as responsive on this Athlon 64 3200+ with 1MB L2 cache as MorphOS on my Peg G3.
 :-o