Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Agressive US investments.  (Read 1954 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Agressive US investments.
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 04, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »
States rights are a joke. The federal gov is too big. We need another Regan.

Ooops this is becoming political.

:whack:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 06:10:04 PM »

T_Bone wrote:

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

T_Bone wrote:
I wonder how that would work actually, if hypothetically, North Carolina removes itself from the Union, can we claim no responsibility for federal debt?

hmmmm....
No, since it's the UNITED States...
United means your state officially take part of it, AND is likewise any other state responsible for the debt.

In case you missed it, the premise was that a state *removed* itself from the union.

The federal defecit is the responsibility of the federal government, not the states. The federal government doesn't collect revenue from the states, the federal government collects it's taxes directly, not touching the state tax at all.

The Constitution allows the federal government to tax it's citizens, but no provision has ever been made in the Constitution to tax *former* citizens above and beyond any taxes previously due. Currently the government has no athority to impose debt on former citizens assuming they owe no back taxes. I believe the Union would have to eat the loss.

:lol:
Iwantmymoneyback!

sorry sir, can't, you signed...
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 06:13:29 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Ooops this is becoming political.

:whack:
Twas kinda already in the beginning of this thread.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 08:38:50 PM »
T_Bone wrote:
Untill we start our "revolution" and declare ourselves a new and independant country, irresponsible for the debts of the former USA.

I wonder how that would work actually, if hypothetically, North Carolina removes itself from the Union, can we claim no responsibility for federal debt?

It would work about as long as it took the Union army to crush the uprising. You tried it once before, remember? :)

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 08:33:39 AM »

KennyR wrote:
T_Bone wrote:
Untill we start our "revolution" and declare ourselves a new and independant country, irresponsible for the debts of the former USA.

It would work about as long as it took the Union army to crush the uprising. You tried it once before, remember? :)

Sure, but this time's different, the evil union troops are overseas! The time is NOW brethren!  :lol:
this space for rent

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 05:13:53 AM »

T_Bone wrote:

the_leander wrote:
Debt, I know I know its morally dubious, but yes, debt, a garunteed return on your investment (though the timeframe is variable depending on what countries debt you buy into) typically from what I've read, you'll make about 40% on whatever you put in.

American Debt atm looks to be a good place to start, since theres a lot of it and a reletively stable system of governance in place to garuntee a return.

Dunno however how you'd get in touch with a debt trader though.

Bwahahahahaha!

hmmmm....

No, this wouldn't work, you can change your leaders, the country's name, and even its boarders, but the debt still remains, just ask half of Africa and Iraq.

As long as the WTO isn't wiped off the face of the earth, you're highly unlikely to loose any money, but theres is again the proviso that it will take longer to see a return on your investment if the country you invest in goes belly up, in such a case, you have to wait untill such time as it picks itself up and dusts itself before your reward would start to trickle in.

In a theoretical situation such as the one you describe, the debt would  be divided as a percentage to all the states involoved in the uprising, the total debt would remain, but instead of it being in one place, it would now be all over the place, with the debt where the original money went. The WTO are like the international equivilent of the IRS or britains tax office (I almost said orafice, either would be appropriate). And like them, they won't rest until every last penny is paid back
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 06:26:46 PM »
@Red,

Try buying Euros, or just about any foreign currency. Gold is good too. Buy a few thousand dollars of gold and when the dollar collapses it should easily cover your mortgage.