Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RE: Schizophrenia, drugs link?  (Read 4193 times)

Description:

Offline anakirobTopic starter

• Show only replies by anakirob
    • http://www.systemofsound.org/
RE: Schizophrenia, drugs link?
« on: September 09, 2004, 06:12:45 AM »
Before I make my point I would like to say

DISCLAIMER
I do not advocate the use of recreational drugs in this forum
I am just stating an opinion

On the link between amphetamine/cannabis and schizophrenia, I believe it is the disease which causes the substance abuse, not the substance which causes the disease.

Just had to get that off my chest.  :-?

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 07:20:43 AM »

anakirob wrote:

DISCLAIMER

On the link between amphetamine/cannabis and schizophrenia, I believe it is the disease which causes the substance abuse, not the substance which causes the disease.

Cannabinoids bind to the same receptors as a natural chemical antipsychotic produced by the brain. (I can't remember the name of the chemical, but odds are good KennyR will ;-)), and the flooding of the brain with a chemical binding to these receptors causes the brain to "turn off" the production of this antipsychotic chemical. The problem is, this natural antipsychotic is there for a reason.

I don't agree with locking up hundreds of thousands of teenagers and young adults because they smoked a joint, but it's definately not something that's "good" for you, or even harmless.
this space for rent

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 05:15:53 PM »
Yep, nothing that plays with your brain chemistry is good for you. Over a period of maybe a million years, nature crafted the human brain with a hell of a lot of natural safeguards, one of which was against excess seratonin or other 'pleasure causing' compounds. Probably this was because being too happy was bad for our survival. Seeing what crawls out of nightclubs in the UK at 4am in the mornings, I can quite understand.

THC (edit) has been linked with (mild!) psychosis for many years now, a link denied by pro-cannabis campaigners, when they can be bothered to deny anything.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 06:12:03 PM »

KennyR wrote:
TBC
TBC is TuBerCulosis
You mean THC, TetraHydroCannabinol.
Overall, I agree with you, something that has influence on your mind can't be good, but everything has (a possible negative) influence on the brain, so ppl have to see it in proportions.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline KennyR

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 06:20:54 PM »
I'm having problems with three letter acronyms today.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 06:35:18 PM »
You mean TLAs ;-)

I'm a mild schizophrenic.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 09:47:31 PM »
Hum,
most ppl need TLC,

but i`m in two minds about that...

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 04:17:36 PM »
Anandamide, that's the chemical I was trying to think of.

Anandamide is an antipsychotic drug naturally produced by the brain. it can even be produced in levels great enough to keep a schizophrenic's symptoms down.

Schizophrenics normally have elevated levels of anandamide, but it's been demonstrated that the schizophrenics with high levels of anandamide expierence reduced symptoms, while those with low levels of anandamide experience severe symptoms.

Cannibinoids bind to anandamide receptors, and the brain responds by shutting off production of anandamide temporarily, in a best case scenario. in a worst case scenario your brain thinks to itself, "Well, I shut off anandamide production, yet something is still triggering my anandamide receptors, maybe I should halt production permanently? It doesn't seem to be needed anymore."

On top of this, not only do cannibinoids trigger the anandamide receptors, but THC actually destroys them, lessening the brains own natural defences to psychosis permanently (even if it WAS producing full anandomide amounts). Couple this with reduced anandamide production, and things get a little crazy, literally.

Thank god for kids. Most of the above was brought to my attention by my daughter from medical school. The only thing I was ever able to tell my kids was "It's bad because it makes you lazy, so just don't do it.", now they're explaining it to me. ;-)

Did a websearch for anandamide, and came acrossed this.

http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread19393.shtml

The pro-cannabis people are somehow seeing this as good news for marijuana users, because their drug of choice mimicks one naturally produced by the brain. Jesus. So does heroin. :roll: (or come to think about it, any drug taken for it's effect) I don't think they get it.
this space for rent

Offline KennyR

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 06:39:46 PM »
I don't think they get it.

Of course they don't, they're all a bunch of raving schizo's. :)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 06:50:49 PM »
@ Blobzie

:-) That was good

Offline X-ray

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 06:57:45 PM »

Edit: double post, woops!

Offline AccyD

• Show only replies by AccyD
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 07:39:04 PM »

anakirob wrote:

DISCLAIMER

I disagree my cousin has been diagnosed as suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and has NEVER touched any form of illegal drugs.

There is still a mistaken belief within society today that people who are mentally ill are all mass murderers and a a danager to the community, this is as daft as saying that all (randomly picking a disease) cancer patients suffer exactly the same effects as each other. It is people's preconceptions which cause the issue in the bulk of cases rather than an illness.

Under medication most people suffering from mental illness can live a very normal life - for example my cousin is now a stepdad to two young boys and has recently got married to a police woman.

We must get away from the prejudices that haunt our society from the Victorian attitude towards mental illness, especially as this is becoming more prevalent amongst our young (especially male) members of society as our lives are filled with more pressure.

We need to be looking carefully at what society is doing to make so many people develop these illnesses.

Offline AccyD

• Show only replies by AccyD
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 07:39:58 PM »

X-ray wrote:
@ Blobzie

:-) That was good

Grow up - these jokes were funny when I was 12.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 07:48:24 PM »
Well, I know kinda lot of marihuana users, some heavy one, but those who do it regularly are just kinda {bleep}ed up, I mean, kinda like alcoholics, but I've never seen nor heard about a real case of schizophrenia caused by heavy use of marihuana. So, how much of this research has been proven, I wonder.

If we take a look at the past, humans have always lived with drugs, all kinds of drugs (no not XTC or LSD, but maybe natural drugs wich equals these).
So it has to be that the human body/brain has adapted to many of these drugs.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline X-ray

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2004, 08:32:14 PM »
@ AccyD:

That comment of mine 'that was good' was aimed at Blobzie's 'I'm in two minds' reference to the schizophrenia, not any lewd undertone you might have dreamed up.