Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does artificial sweeteners are really that bad?  (Read 4729 times)

Description:

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show all replies
Re: Does artificial sweeteners are really that bad?
« on: August 25, 2004, 05:44:18 AM »

KennyR wrote:
Odin wrote:
Now if your were my father, then I'd suggest using sweeteners. He eats so much sugar it's a miracle he doesn't insuline shots yet.

Mine almost does, and it depresses me like you wouldn't imagine. I'm next in line, it runs in my family. Even if I avoid sugar totally, chances are I'll still become diabetic.

Which sugars were you thinking of avoiding. If only sucrose, there isn't much point.

Carbs?

As for aspartame, a can of diet pop will decompose to give about as much methanol as you find in a bottle of juice. However, the bottle of juice also contains ethanol which metabolically competes with methanol. The fruit juice also preferentially binds methanol. If you accidentally drink a small quantity of meths, drink a lot of fruit juice!

The body has enzymes to break down ethanol, and the first step is ethanol to acetaldehyde, which is then broken down by other enzyme. When methanol is metabolized, the first step is methanol to formaldehyde, and that is the end of the line. Small amounts of methanol over time will gradually embalm you.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 07:11:25 AM »

KennyR wrote:
FluffyMcDeath wrote:
Which sugars were you thinking of avoiding. If only sucrose, there isn't much point.

Carbs?

Starches, carageenans, polyols and other carbohydrates are the slow burners.

Eat a plate of pasta and say carbs are slow burners!! Starches are partly lysed to glucose etc before you even finish chewing.

When methanol is metabolized, the first step is methanol to formaldehyde, and that is the end of the line.

Not true, formaldehyde is metabolised very quickly by the body, into formic acid [...][/quote]

I did not know that, but it seems it is so. In fact it seems that it is the formic acid that does you in...

methanol poisoning.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 07:26:48 AM »
@KennyR

and artificial sweetners may cause obesity...

link

which is not a healthy thing even if you are not diabetic.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 07:47:41 AM »

KennyR wrote:
[As for formic acid, like any poisons it depends where it is and how much of it there is. Formic acid produced by digestion doesn't seem to be a problem, or we'd soon die. Drinking alcohol in large quantities produces similar quantities of acetaldehyde and acetic acid, chemically similar products.

It takes much more ethanol than methanol to kill you. And you can help a guy out who's had a bit of the meths by giving him booze to prevent the production of formic acid as the eths out compeats the meths for enzymatic attention. Generally, in nature, where you find meth you find eth, so safe up that diet coke and add a little rum! (Rum and diet coke is even more disgusting than rum and regular coke IMHO)