Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What drives your car?  (Read 4605 times)

Description:

Offline sumner7

• Show only replies by sumner7
Re: What drives your car?
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 29, 2004, 03:27:37 PM »
What drives your car?

Milk.

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2004, 03:44:58 PM »
Has anyone driven in one of they Sinclair C5 cars? I think thats what they're called.
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »

CU_AMiGA wrote:
Has anyone driven in one of they Sinclair C5 cars? I think thats what they're called.

Nope, but I rode something similar a few months back where you were in a recumbent position and steered with handlebars under your ass.  

Frankly I felt exposed being that low to the ground and the handling was skittish compared to a normal bike.  I wouldn't want to be on the inside lane of the highway next to a dirty great truck in a C5...

What electric cars need to do is excite before they're taken seriously.  The Honda Insight and Toyota Prius are a success because they're seen as cool and fashionble, but the average Joe wants an electric car that burns rubber.  Way back when Chrysler entered a turbine-electric car called the Patriot which stored kinetic energy in a carbon flywheel in the Le Mans 24 hour race.  GM also built a few Impact sports cars and showed a promotional video of one outrunning a Nissan 300ZX to 60mph.  

Although I drive a gas-guzzler, I try and mitigate this by biking to work as often as I can and biking to friends houses.  However, now the weather is turning colder and wetter I'd rather be in a warm, comfy car than freezing my chumleys off on the saddle.
Cecilia for President

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2004, 12:29:02 AM »

CU_AMiGA wrote:

I raced one eons ago.. not exactly speedy, it was a standard C5 , about 25mph if my memory isn`t corrupt.
IIRC, it used an electric motor designed for a washing machine, and I think the C5 was built by Hoover for Sinclair.

There was a switch/sensor on the handlebars that cut the power to the motor when cornering. Guess it was a crude safety feature to stop it turning over at full speed (some hope..25mph and a low center of gravity!! :lol: )
 Anyway, I found out that instead of smoothly turning into corners and going slow, that you could "see-saw" the handlebars and the motor wouldn`t cut out as much, still never got it on 2 wheels though
On schedule, and suing

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2004, 11:28:49 AM »
I've always wanted to ride one of them damn things! :-D
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD