Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trouble with floppy drive  (Read 1501 times)

Description:

Offline part12studiosTopic starter

• Show only replies by part12studios
Trouble with floppy drive
« on: December 06, 2021, 12:47:41 AM »
I'm having some issues with a couple of A2000 floppy drives.  this video is for the first one.  the other has a slightly different behavior but this one seems like it might have a behavior that's easier to identify and find a fix.  I'm hoping this is something I can fix.

I have opened it and i have cleaned the heads with denatured alcohol..  lubed the little track thingy.. but now i'm getting into an area that I'm concerned i'll do more harm than good. 

https://youtu.be/s52He_2eLNo
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:12:52 AM by part12studios »

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: Trouble with floppy drive
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 01:05:57 AM »
"Oops something went wrong."

"This video isn't available any more".
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 01:11:27 AM »
doh corrected!

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 02:41:53 AM »
Appears to be behaving normally but not reading data... Maybe not writing data either.

... Either the heads are mis-aligned and need adjusting or maybe the read coil is bust. Or the circuit that amplifies the output from the read coil is bust.

I hope you got an oscilloscope;-

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=align+floppy+Amiga

EDIT: I don't think you got a busted CIA chip causing this, but you could try swapping them to see if behaviour changes (they are both 8520 type).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:45:14 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 03:00:44 AM »
darn that's way out of my pay grade.. heh..  well hopefully i can find someone who is knowledgeable on repairing them for other people.  Definitely willing to pay someone for their time.  I have a gotek but I really want to have the ability to access old floppies if/when they turn up.. 

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:32:21 PM »

Good day,

We may be able to help, where is your location?

Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 08:47:15 PM »
I'm near Boston, USA.  Where are you based out of? 

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 02:55:35 AM »
I'm in Southern California, take a look at this Forum, " http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81395 ". Should be someone near you.

Chris

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 03:00:57 AM »
Hi

Obvious question but I assume you have tried the disk on a working floppy, and or used other disks.  The swish noise is a sticking protective sheet in the disk and the way to work this is to slightly bend the disk and tap on the bench a few times. A contaminated disk will also render any other disks you use on the same drive useless. Just that I have a number of broken disks that behave just as your video. I have several here that are so annoying that they format the full distance and then bomb out after an age trying to initialise. I always use an external disk head cleaner whenever I come across dodgy disks. I'm sure you have ruled out actual disk failure, but thought I would mention it. Did you try a quick format. Just a thought.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »
Hi everyone, so thank you for the info about amiga repair services and regional options.  I connected with Rod down in Florida who's offered to help me bring these two babies back.  He's got experience both with capacitor replacement for vintage stuff but has fixed amiga floppies as well so I trust him also being a regular contributor to the Amiga Community on facebook.

I'm still going to go through this directory though and encourage anyone I see missing and make sure they get in there as I know several folks through that group that repair amigas. 

Offline gwalp

• Show only replies by gwalp
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
Sounds good. Post and let us know how the repair goes.