Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First serious question....  (Read 4615 times)

Description:

Offline csirac_

• Show all replies
Re: First serious question....
« on: September 15, 2003, 10:29:16 AM »
Im interested primarily in its low level API's for sound, graphics and IO.

Whoa, of all the APIs you could have mentioned, those are the least mature of AROS :-) sound: started (I think); graphics: Well, GUI stuff should be ok, but there's no decent graphics HIDD yet AFAIK; IO - not sure about that, they're starting on PCI stuff right now actually..

Join the dev list, read back a few months, the website has some good docs too.

By the way, what's wrong with http://www.wxwindows.org ?
C++ bindings, cross platform goodness... from what I've read it's written using as much C++ as reasonably possible, but the emphasis is allowing wxwindows to compile on heaps (and I mean HEAPS) of different non-gcc compilers so some aspects of C++ aren't utilised... can't really give an example right now... hrmm.

- Paul

Offline csirac_

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 10:33:26 AM »
Oh and BTW, wxWindows would be in my top 5 things to port list when I get an A1 with OS4.. also in that list: GTK, Anjuta/GCC3.2 suite, a good X server, a good SSH client (putty?), Abiword...

I'm dreaming there, but I'd probably start with putty :-)

As for the GNU dev stuff, I was thinking that perhaps the cygwin code base would be a good start, seeing as it works on Win98 it shouldn't be that hard to get it working on Amiga (from the point of view of being a single user environment) but then again I have no idea how all the libs are implimented, or even how Amiga libs work since I'm not an experienced Amiga coder at all.

- Paul

Offline csirac_

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 02:08:59 PM »
Sounds great! I would have loved to say that I could help with the Linux implimentation specifics, but I already committed to AROS months ago and I still havent' written a single line of code for those guys yet ;-(

Never thought I'd say this.. but I can't wait 'till I get a job, I'll have more free time, hmmm. Provided I'm not self employed and only do 40 hours a week, which I'm sure is never the case...

- Paul