Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards  (Read 10922 times)

Description:

Offline trilobyte

• Show all replies
    • http://aaack.org
Re: 4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards
« on: January 05, 2021, 06:55:27 AM »
That seemed to fix it!  I could now record HQ5 and consistently.  In fact (I'll have to go back and check), but I was able to get the SCSI2SD bios back to defaults and all worked fine.  So it seems like the ability of the SD card was holding me back.  I'm super happy with it and glad to have a working flyer with no external drive stacks and cables!!

I don't understand — I've emailed with Inertial / Rabbit Hole Computing a few times about this, and the proprietor swears that SCSI2SD v6 (and v5 of course) won't work with the Flyer.  He said thinks it has something to do with caching, or lack of caching, or something.

I can verify his insistent findings — I've tried it myself, a few times, with a few different SD cards — FlyerHDTools can't setup the drive(s).  Maybe I should try different SD cards still?  But at $20-$50 a pop, it's an expensive hole to be digging myself into.

I'd love to know what parameters you're using in SCSI2SD to get this working.
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline trilobyte

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
I wasn't previously aware of an HQ6 mode. I suspect my board isn't capable of it but is there a way to test?

I'm probably mixing up my stories here, so please forgive me if this is a muddled mess.  My memories are coming from some deep dives into NewTekniques and Video Toaster User, as well as combing through the Flyer source code, as recently as last year.

I believe there was another step above HQ5 that was present in the source code which was released.  I believe it was going to be a UI toggle just like HQ5, probably made available after fast enough hard drives were available and tested by NewTek.

If memory serves, it's totally plausible that some of the tools included by the source code release would allow someone to record in this better-than-HQ5 format.  But I'd have to go back and repeat some of the research I did last year to really verify, so I'm sorry if this post is misleading or wrong.

Over the years, I've been able to compile the majority (all?) of the CLI Flyer tools from the Open Video Toaster release.  I don't know if that interests anybody.

Offline trilobyte

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »
Would love to have any/all the CLI flyer tools you've compiled from the open video toaster data.....I would think all Flyer owners would be interested.

OK.  I'll see if there's something I can do about making them available.  Probably throw together a simple web site and/or GitHub project.